Excel compatibility

Ian West Ian West

Excel compatibility

When I open an Excel file in Libre Calc I seem to lose some functionality.

The Excel file has several columns in a table. When you add data and get
to the last column in the the table,  a new line is added, and the
cursor returns to the beginning of that new line. All the formulas are
copied down as well.

When opened in Libreoffice this no longer happens. How can I fix this?

My MS  Office 2007 has spat the dummy, and frankly I don't want to spend
big dollars on replacing it. LibreOffice seems to be a good alternative,
however, I need to fix this problem.Maybe I'm just getting too old!

In anticipation,

Ian West

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Excel compatibility

Den mån 4 jan. 2021 kl 02:44 skrev Ian West <[hidden email]>:

> When I open an Excel file in Libre Calc I seem to lose some functionality.
>
> The Excel file has several columns in a table.

What do you mean when you say "table"? A sheet or what?

> When you add data and get
> to the last column in the the table,  a new line is added, and the
> cursor returns to the beginning of that new line. All the formulas are
> copied down as well.

I use Excel every day at work and I've never seen that happen. Maybe I just
misunderstand you. Can you explain further?

> When opened in Libreoffice this no longer happens. How can I fix this?

Maybe there's a macro active in that document that makes that happen that
can't be run in LibreOffice Calc?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> My MS  Office 2007 has spat the dummy, and frankly I don't want to spend
> big dollars on replacing it. LibreOffice seems to be a good alternative,
> however, I need to fix this problem.Maybe I'm just getting too old!
>
> In anticipation,
>
> Ian West

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Excel compatibility

Hi Ian,

Ian West schrieb am 04.01.2021 um 02:42:
> When I open an Excel file in Libre Calc I seem to lose some functionality.
>
> The Excel file has several columns in a table. When you add data and get
> to the last column in the the table,  a new line is added, and the
> cursor returns to the beginning of that new line. All the formulas are
> copied down as well.

If you enter values into the cells of a row and you go with Tab-key
instead of Enter-key to the next column, then when you use Enter-key for
the last cell of the row, the cursor is set to the first cell of the
next row.

Formulas are not copied automatically. But when you set the cell cursor
on to a cell which has the formula, then you can use a double-click on
the little black rectangle bottom, right on the cell cursor frame, to
copy the formula down to the last filled row in a column left or right
from it. So first enter all data, and when finished copy the formulas.

> When opened in Libreoffice this no longer happens. How can I fix this?

LibreOffice is not a clone of MS Office. You should not expect that
things always work the same way. Some parts work even better in
LibreOffice than in Excel (for example: Automatic detection of needed
range for results of matrix operations).

> My MS  Office 2007 has spat the dummy, and frankly I don't want to spend
> big dollars on replacing it. LibreOffice seems to be a good alternative,
> however, I need to fix this problem.Maybe I'm just getting too old!
LibreOffice is a very powerful Office application. You can surely do all
things in it you need, only sometimes in a different way.

Kind regards
Regina