Extension MSOffice

Jean Milot Jean Milot

Extension MSOffice

Hi,

I would like if it's possible when we install LO to make all the files
like : doc, docx, ppt, xls .... to be opened by LO ?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jean

--
Jean Milot  - [hidden email] - www.dotriver.eu<http://www.dotriver.eu/>
5 passage de l'avenir, F-69200 Vénissieux

Nos voeux pour 2012... http://www.dotriver.eu/a-propos/actualites/voeux-2012
Membre du projet "nuage" http://tinyurl.com/87lxo39 (cloud ouvert, écologique et relocalisé en France)
SolidariCloud, Serveurs solidaires pour les associations et les fondations http://tinyurl.com/69degxt

Pas à pas, agissons au quotidien pour préserver notre environnement. N'imprimez que si nécessaire, réduisez les déchets informatiques et économisez l'énergie en utilisant les solutions DotRiver.

Gordon Burgess-Parker Gordon Burgess-Parker

Re: Extension MSOffice

On 15/02/2012 09:08, Jean Milot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like if it's possible when we install LO to make all the files
> like : doc, docx, ppt, xls .... to be opened by LO ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jean

You should be given that option during the install process.
A screen should appear that will say something like "Do you want LO to
be the default program for opening MS Office documents"?

Tom Tom

Re: Extension MSOffice

Hi :)
I'm not sure but this might help

Tools - Options - "+Load/Save"

The various sub-pages in there have a few options that might help.

2.  Another way might be to right-click on 1 such document and find the "Chose program" or "Open with.." option.  One of those should be clear about making it a 'permanent' default (except that you can use the same method to change it back another day if you wanted).

3.  In Windows just open a file-browser so that you can see documents inside any folder.  In the file-browser choose
Tools - Option - Folder Options - File types
errr, something like that in Xp anyway, then scroll down the list and choose which ones should be opened in LibreOffice.

> I would like if it's possible when we install LO to make all the files
> like : doc, docx, ppt, xls .... to be opened by LO ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jean

You should be given that option during the install process.
A screen should appear that will say something like "Do you want LO to
be the default program for opening MS Office documents"?

nabbler nabbler

Re: Extension MSOffice

On 15/02/2012, Jean Milot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like if it's possible when we install LO to make all the files
> like : doc, docx, ppt, xls .... to be opened by LO ?

Are you sure that this is a good idea?

What will you do in the possibility that the non-odf files become
corrupted by LO?

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Extension MSOffice

My question is - do you have MS Office installed on your system?

If No, then making sure that the "load/save" option is checked.
If Yes, then you may have to do the editing of the "file properties"
using the file-browser.

I do not have MS Office installed on any of my systems and I make sure I
check the option for loading/saving MSO files.  I rarely have any issued
with them either.

On 02/15/2012 06:49 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> I'm not sure but this might help
>
> Tools - Options - "+Load/Save"
>
> The various sub-pages in there have a few options that might help.
>
> 2.  Another way might be to right-click on 1 such document and find the "Chose program" or "Open with.." option.  One of those should be clear about making it a 'permanent' default (except that you can use the same method to change it back another day if you wanted).
>
> 3.  In Windows just open a file-browser so that you can see documents inside any folder.  In the file-browser choose
> Tools - Option - Folder Options - File types
> errr, something like that in Xp anyway, then scroll down the list and choose which ones should be opened in LibreOffice.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Tom Tom

Re: Extension MSOffice

Obviously if 3.5.x is producing some files in MS formats that MS Office can't read then it's worth steering away from the 3.5.x at the moment.  Since 3.4.x and 3.3.x didn't have those sorts of problems i would stick with one of those or use one of those to fix the problem if it occurs.

It's usually a good plan to keep one version of documents in ODF format (format format again) just in case problems do occur as it keeps everything nice and tidy.

Also MS are giving up on their Rtf format and now phasing out Doc in favour of DocX so presumably it will only be a 'few' years before they phase out DocX.

On 15/02/2012, Jean Milot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like if it's possible when we install LO to make all the files
> like : doc, docx, ppt, xls .... to be opened by LO ?

Are you sure that this is a good idea?

What will you do in the possibility that the non-odf files become
corrupted by LO?

JW JW

Re: Extension MSOffice

Good advice, Tom. Unfortunately, I am having to uninstall 3.5 as we speak
and locate the 3.4.5 installation files. It seems LO 3.5 has trouble even
with some .odt files.