FEATURE REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page

Next » 123 « Prev
MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: top-posting

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All the problems listed are solved by simply top-posting.

The only problems that top-posting solves is the problem of providing
a quality answer to technical questions.  Lazy is as lazy does.

If it's too much work to do a good job, don't do it at all.  Sloppy
help is worse than none.

Tom Tom

Re: top-posting

Hi :)

Wow!  Well, if this list is not going to help people that top-post and are just
going to continue to be rude to them then LibreOffice is definitely not likely
to attract mainstream office workers.  I might try to help those i can or at
least be a little more welcoming than you chaps.
'Regards' from
Tom

________________________________
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All the problems listed are solved by simply top-posting.

The only problems that top-posting solves is the problem of providing
a quality answer to technical questions.  Lazy is as lazy does.

If it's too much work to do a good job, don't do it at all.  Sloppy
help is worse than none.

T. R. Valentine T. R. Valentine

Re: top-posting

On 17 February 2011 14:17, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> Wow!  Well, if this list is not going to help people that top-post and are just
> going to continue to be rude to them then LibreOffice is definitely not likely
> to attract mainstream office workers.  I might try to help those i can or at
> least be a little more welcoming than you chaps.

Refusing to conform to a community's standards is being rude,
especially after having those standards explained.

But it appears you are so busy complaining about the speck in the eyes
of others that you cannot see the beam in your own.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.

Simon Cropper (The foss Workflow Guides) Simon Cropper (The foss Workflow Guides)

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page

Harold,

Thanks for the information.

You would not credit it but I did double check the help prior to
posting. The problem was I searched on row headers, insert headers,
etcetera. Searching for "repeating rows and columns" did not come
immediately to mind.

I also scoured the menus of Calc to see if the functionality could be
found easily. Again I did not expect to see this in the print range
dialog so missed it all together.

No matter. I am a happy man now, it's rare to get a feature request
addressed so quickly :).

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Principal Consultant
    Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
    PO Box 160, Sunshine, VIC
    W: www.botanicusaustralia.com.au

On 17/02/11 19:44, Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "Simon Cropper" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Writer has the ability so define a number of rows at the top of a
>> table that will repeat if the table extends over the page.
>>
>> http://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Repeating_a_Table_Header_on_a_New_Page
>>
>> This sort of functionality would be great in Calc. At present it is
>> necessary to manually manipulate the sheet to put a header at the top
>> of each page.
>>
>> Even if the process is not dynamic as for writer. It would be good if
>> a tool could be created that automatically moved the headers to the
>> right spot (~ automatic cut and paste based on page size).
>>
>> Assuming a square table a designated number of rows at the top of the
>> table could be tagged as header rows by the user. These could then be
>> propagated down the matrix and inserted at the top of where the
>> current page break occurs. These duplicate headers are also marked as
>> headers but also that they are duplicates. If the page size changes
>> and the tool run again the duplicate headers are removed and the
>> process repeated.
>>
>> This sort of routine would save considerable time manipulating quite
>> sizable tables that can extend over many pages.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> From Calc's Help pages under "Headings>Repeating rows/columns as"
> === begin quote ===
> Printing Rows or Columns on Every Page
> If you have a sheet that is so large that it will be printed multiple
> pages, you can set up rows or columns to repeat on each printed page.
> As an example, If you want to print the top two rows of the sheet as
> well as the first column (A)on all pages, do the following:
> 1. Choose Format - Print Ranges - Edit. The Edit Print Ranges dialogue
> box appears.
> 2. Click the icon at the far right of the Rows to repeat area.
> The dialogue box shrinks so that you can see more of the sheet.
> 3. Select the first two rows and, for this example, click cell A1 and
> drag to A2.
> In the shrunken dialogue box you will see $1:$2. Rows 1 and 2 are now
> rows to repeat.
> 4. Click the icon at the far right of the Rows to repeat area. The
> dialogue box is restored again.
> 5. If you also want column A as a column to repeat, click the icon at
> the far right of the Columns to repeat area.
> 6. Click column A (not in the column header).
> 7. Click the icon again at the far right of the Columns to repeat area.
>
> Rows to repeat are rows from the sheet. You can define headers and
> footers to be printed on each print page independently of this in Format
> - Page.
> === end quote ===

Robert Holtzman Robert Holtzman

Re: top-posting

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:58:08PM +0000, Tom Davies wrote:

          ........snip.........

> At first i was prepared to accept that there might be technical reasons
> why bottom posting is better but now i am beginning to think that anything
> except top posting is insane.

That's undoubtedly the reason many mailing lists suggest doing it.

You have something against trimming quotes?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

T. R. Valentine T. R. Valentine

Re: top-posting

On 17 February 2011 18:58, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You have something against trimming quotes?

Too much work. One just hits reply, types where the cursor appears (on
top) and hits send.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.
'When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food
and clothes.' -- Erasmus

Barbara Duprey Barbara Duprey

Re: top-posting

On 2/17/2011 6:58 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:58:08PM +0000, Tom Davies wrote:
>
>            ........snip.........
>
>> At first i was prepared to accept that there might be technical reasons
>> why bottom posting is better but now i am beginning to think that anything
>> except top posting is insane.
> That's undoubtedly the reason many mailing lists suggest doing it.
>
> You have something against trimming quotes?

I don't know if you'd count this as a "technical reason," but archives are a lot more generally
useful if threads can be read top to bottom, instead of "somewhere near bottom to bottom,"
"somewhere higher up than before to where I was before," etc. The presence of archives, or people
coming in to a discussion that's already underway, is the main reason that mailing lists differ from
normal conversational e-mailing where there may well be only two parties, or several people who have
all been there since the beginning, where everybody just needs to see the most recent addition to
the conversation (or occasionally look deeper into the material for reference) and top posting is
the most effective way to keep communications going.

But this whole discussion has been held so many times that we're *very* unlikely to come to a fully
satisfactory conclusion. It can take on a fervor that always reminds me of Jonathan Swift's
Lilliputians and their "big-endian"/"little-endian" wars.

Tom Tom

Re: top-posting

Exactly.  That is exactly the way that the vast majority of office workers
work.  If we don't want our office suite to be used by office workers then it is
fine to ask people to behave differently, just for us.

________________________________
On 17 February 2011 18:58, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You have something against trimming quotes?

Too much work. One just hits reply, types where the cursor appears (on
top) and hits send.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.
'When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food
and clothes.' -- Erasmus

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

Re: top-posting

On 2011-02-17 9:18 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
> The presence of archives, or people coming in to a discussion that's
> already underway, is the main reason that mailing lists differ from
> normal conversational e-mailing where there may well be only two
> parties, or several people who have all been there since the beginning,
> where everybody just needs to see the most recent addition to the
> conversation (or occasionally look deeper into the material for
> reference) and top posting is the most effective way to keep
> communications going.

That makes much more sense on a FORUM...

But, Barbara, honestly, I guarantee you the vast majority of people who
participate on mail lists do not go to the archives to read entire
threads... ever. They come here to post a question and get an answer.

Charles

philandaw philandaw

Re: top-posting

Please take me off your lists!!!

Phil Woodruff - [hidden email]
On 2011-02-17 9:18 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
> The presence of archives, or people coming in to a discussion that's
> already underway, is the main reason that mailing lists differ from
> normal conversational e-mailing where there may well be only two
> parties, or several people who have all been there since the beginning,
> where everybody just needs to see the most recent addition to the
> conversation (or occasionally look deeper into the material for
> reference) and top posting is the most effective way to keep
> communications going.

That makes much more sense on a FORUM...

But, Barbara, honestly, I guarantee you the vast majority of people who
participate on mail lists do not go to the archives to read entire
threads... ever. They come here to post a question and get an answer.

Charles

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

Re: top-posting

On 2011/02/18 2:26 AM  Tom Davies wrote:
>   If we don't want our office suite to be used by office workers then it is
> fine to ask people to behave differently, just for us.
If they use LibreOffice they are behaving differently. It is much more difficult to transition
to using LibreOffice than to learn to bottom post with proper clipping.

It takes very little effort to quote and reply properly.

Please fix your quote attributions. Much of the message you replied to appears to be written by
you.

Larry
--
_________________________________
Larry I. Gusaas

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: top-posting

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please take me off your lists!!!

If you take just a fraction of a second to read the footer below
(which happens to get appended to every single message posted to this
discussion list), you'll see how you can remove yourself from the list
- almost no-one who posts here can actually do what you ask (maybe 3
people?).

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: top-posting

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If they use LibreOffice they are behaving differently. It is much more
> difficult to transition to using LibreOffice than to learn to bottom post
> with proper clipping.

But some people will claim that this one extra step is just too much
work for them, after making the more difficult transition first.

> It takes very little effort to quote and reply properly.

Yes, yes, yes.

> Please fix your quote attributions. Much of the message you replied to
> appears to be written by you.

That is just one of the many problems caused by top posters who never
edit past their own response.

It's a lost cause - some will, some won't.  I plan to ignore the rest.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:58:41PM -0600, T. R. Valentine wrote:
> On 17 February 2011 18:58, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You have something against trimming quotes?
>
> Too much work. One just hits reply, types where the cursor appears (on
> top) and hits send.

Are you *trying* to be irritating or just trolling?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

T. R. Valentine T. R. Valentine

Re: top-posting

On 18 February 2011 21:21, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:58:41PM -0600, T. R. Valentine wrote:
>> On 17 February 2011 18:58, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > You have something against trimming quotes?
>>
>> Too much work. One just hits reply, types where the cursor appears (on
>> top) and hits send.
>
> Are you *trying* to be irritating or just trolling?

Neither. And the fact that the worst offender **agreed** with the
statement proved my point.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.
'When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food
and clothes.' -- Erasmus

NoOp NoOp

[OP - Fix Tom] Re: FEATURE REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page

On 02/17/2011 04:01 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Hi Tom,
<big snip>

This has exactly what to do with the subject of this post?

I'd place thread hijacking/OT drift right up there with top-posting et
al. Please give some consideration to the OP and the thread subject. If
you (and others) have something to contribute to " FEATURE REQUEST: CALC
-- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page" please do. If not, then
please start a new thread or off list with Tom. And no, I'm not a list
moderator or list mom, just a list subscriber that would like to see
threads stay somewhat on topic.

Tom Tom

Re: [OP - Fix Tom] Re: FEATURE REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page

Hi

I don't see why i get the blame for taking the thread "off topic" when i am only
answering the points raised in a previous post to this thread.  Your criticism
should be directed at the person that first took the thread off-topic.

Regards from
Tom

________________________________
On 02/17/2011 04:01 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Hi Tom,
<big snip>

This has exactly what to do with the subject of this post?

I'd place thread hijacking/OT drift right up there with top-posting et
al. Please give some consideration to the OP and the thread subject. If
you (and others) have something to contribute to " FEATURE REQUEST: CALC
-- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page" please do. If not, then
please start a new thread or off list with Tom. And no, I'm not a list
moderator or list mom, just a list subscriber that would like to see
threads stay somewhat on topic.

steve@tvcsf.org.uk steve@tvcsf.org.uk

Re: top-posting

On 19/02/2011 03:32, T. R. Valentine wrote:

> On 18 February 2011 21:21, Robert Holtzman<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Too much work. One just hits reply, types where the cursor appears (on
>>> top) and hits send.
>> Are you *trying* to be irritating or just trolling?
> Neither. And the fact that the worst offender **agreed** with the
> statement proved my point.

I have only been on this list, which I am now leaving, for less than a
week, and while I am sure you all give really good advice to people who
are having problems using Lo you all seem to be more interested in
arguing amongst yourselves about protocol.
More than 50% of the e-mails I have received have been on the subject of
how to manage the list, so why not get back to what this was presumably
set up for of providing help????

Steve

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: top-posting

Le 19/02/2011 11:26, TVCSF Chair a écrit :
> I have only been on this list, which I am now leaving,

Don't.

> for less than a week  [...]
> More than 50% of the e-mails I have received have been on the subject of
> how to manage the list, so why not get back to what this was presumably
> set up for of providing help????

These arguments happen on all and every list I had subscribed. It is the
first time I can see this happen on this list since it was setup, so,
I'd say you were out of luck... Pls, be patient and leave the storm alone ;)

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

On 2/18/2011 10:57 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/17/2011 04:01 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
> <big snip>
>
> This has exactly what to do with the subject of this post?

Lots of people start off their replies with 'Hi Whoever', it is
generally deemed a courtesy...

> I'd place thread hijacking/OT drift right up there with top-posting et
> al.

And I'd place replying without including quoted text for context in the
same category.

> Please give some consideration to the OP and the thread subject.

The OP's question was answered long ago, and he replied as such, so
there was no harm done to the OP.

> If you (and others) have something to contribute to " FEATURE
> REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page" please do.
> If not, then please start a new thread or off list with Tom. And no,
> I'm not a list moderator or list mom, just a list subscriber that
> would like to see threads stay somewhat on topic.

While I agree with you in general, lots of people commented in that
thread, so there was no need to single me out, you should have just made
a general comment about it.

Regardless, as you are simply a list member, and not a list Mom, I'd
suggest you mind your own business, or send emails like this privately.

Charles

Next » 123 « Prev