FEATURE REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page

123 « Prev
Barbara Duprey Barbara Duprey

Re: top-posting

On 2/18/2011 11:30 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2011-02-17 9:18 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
>> The presence of archives, or people coming in to a discussion that's
>> already underway, is the main reason that mailing lists differ from
>> normal conversational e-mailing where there may well be only two
>> parties, or several people who have all been there since the beginning,
>> where everybody just needs to see the most recent addition to the
>> conversation (or occasionally look deeper into the material for
>> reference) and top posting is the most effective way to keep
>> communications going.
> That makes much more sense on a FORUM...
>
> But, Barbara, honestly, I guarantee you the vast majority of people who
> participate on mail lists do not go to the archives to read entire
> threads... ever. They come here to post a question and get an answer.

Understood. But we do have archives, and we do try to encourage people to use them. That's why I say
there's not ever likely to be a totally satisfactory solution to this.

Robert Holtzman Robert Holtzman

Re: top-posting

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:32:42PM -0600, T. R. Valentine wrote:

> On 18 February 2011 21:21, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Too much work. One just hits reply, types where the cursor appears (on
> >> top) and hits send.
> >
> > Are you *trying* to be irritating or just trolling?
>
> Neither. And the fact that the worst offender **agreed** with the
> statement proved my point.

I didn't see that you expressed a point. It seemed that you were simply
bragging about ignoring email conventions.

What "worst offender" have you reference to?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Glenn Glenn

Re: top-posting

I agree - it's a thorny problem trying to meet the needs of new users (we'd like bring them in to the fold) and more sophisticated users such as yourselves.
But, as a new user, I am prepared weed through the threads so I have a better understanding of the underlying issues and my options.
Glenn

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:28:03AM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> > > Are you *trying* to be irritating or just trolling?
> >
> > Neither. And the fact that the worst offender **agreed** with the
> > statement proved my point.
>
> I didn't see that you expressed a point. It seemed that you were simply
> bragging about ignoring email conventions.
>
> What "worst offender" have you reference to?

I seldom reply to my own posts but I'll make an exception.

*If* what you originally posted was sarcasm and I missed it, I apologize.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

T. R. Valentine T. R. Valentine

Re: top-posting

On 19 February 2011 14:13, Robert Holtzman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:28:03AM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> I didn't see that you expressed a point. It seemed that you were simply
>> bragging about ignoring email conventions.

Perhaps you didn't see my earlier comments on this topic where I very
strongly endorse normal e-mail usage. Just yesterday, I wrote about
belonging to lists that enforce such standards by banning those who do
not comply. I've also made comments about broken e-mail clients
(though *any* e-mail client *can* be used correctly with a little
effort -- even Yahoo!).

>> What "worst offender" have you reference to?

[hidden email] (now in my kill list)

> *If* what you originally posted was sarcasm and I missed it, I apologize.

It was an apparently weak attempt at irony/sarcasm. My apologies. It
is sometimes difficult to convey tone in text. This is especially true
with irony and sarcasm.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

Re: [OP - Fix Tom] Re: FEATURE REQUEST: CALC -- Repeating a Table Header on a New Page

On 2/19/2011 4:28 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't see why i get the blame for taking the thread "off topic"

What makes you think he was talking to you? The top level quote
attribution was mine... so, obviously, he was talking to me.

123 « Prev