FEATURE REQUEST -- for the Sort options in Calc

Richard VINCK Richard VINCK

FEATURE REQUEST -- for the Sort options in Calc

For logical and safety reasons, and for compatibility with Microsoft
Excel, I suggest that:
     * The Sort Option "Range contains column labels" be_unticked by
default_.
     * Allow the sort options to be customized (optional).

It is good that LibreOffice has this option, but a beginner don't know
that option and will sort what he/she has selected, and it is
frustrating to see that the first column is not sorted at all, thinking
it's a bug (like I did).

Thank you!

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: FEATURE REQUEST -- for the Sort options in Calc

Hi,

Am 26.03.2015 um 01:57 schrieb Richard VINCK:

> For logical and safety reasons, and for compatibility with Microsoft
> Excel, I suggest that:
>     * The Sort Option "Range contains column labels" be_unticked by
> default.

Your suggestion does *not* establish compatibility with Microsoft
Excel. Excel tries to *guess* whether the first row of your
selection has to be sorted or not, by checking for significant
differences between the first row and the subsequent rows in data
type and/or formatting.

Try yourself in Excel:

1
3
2

will disappoint your expectations, as well. ;-)

> It is good that LibreOffice has this option, but a beginner don't
> know that option and will sort what he/she has selected, and it is
> frustrating to see that the first column is not sorted at all,
> thinking it's a bug (like I did).

When sorting, it´s not recommended to select a range, rather than a
single cell. Calc (or Excel) will select the range to be sorted by
its own. Selecting a specific range before sorting is only helpful
for very special cases, when automatic selection fails.

FYI: RTFM and study the rule

"For sorting, filtering, or using the Pivot Table, always select
only one cell."

on page no. 4 of this official manual:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/6/69/CG4108-PivotTables.pdf

Unfortunately, the chapter of the manual, that specifically deals
with sorting, does not mention this rule. :-/

Cheers,
Stefan

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 15:22 28/03/2015 +0100, Stefan Weigel wrote:

>When sorting, it's not recommended to select a range, rather than a
>single cell. Calc (or Excel) will select the range to be sorted by
>its own. Selecting a specific range before sorting is only helpful
>for very special cases, when automatic selection fails.
>
>FYI: RTFM and study the rule "For sorting, filtering, or using the
>Pivot Table, always select only one cell." on page no. 4 of this
>official manual:
>https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/6/69/CG4108-PivotTables.pdf
>
>Unfortunately, the chapter of the manual, that specifically deals
>with sorting, does not mention this rule. :-/

Interestingly, Chapter 2 does include a couple of useful comments.
The basic sort instructions do indeed say "Select the cells to be
sorted" - with no suggestion that you can just put the cursor into a
single cell and leave Calc to guess the range to be sorted. But
later, under "Quick sort" (using buttons: what the original enquiry
was about), it makes the important proviso "*If the columns in your
spreadsheet have a header with a text format*, you can use a quick
sort" (my emphasis), as well as saying "Select a cell or a cell range
to be sorted."

Brian Barker

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: FEATURE REQUEST -- for the Sort options in Calc

Am 26.03.2015 um 01:57 schrieb Richard VINCK:

> For logical and safety reasons, and for compatibility with Microsoft
> Excel, I suggest that:
>     * The Sort Option "Range contains column labels" be_unticked by
> default_.
>     * Allow the sort options to be customized (optional).
>
> It is good that LibreOffice has this option, but a beginner don't know
> that option and will sort what he/she has selected, and it is
> frustrating to see that the first column is not sorted at all, thinking
> it's a bug (like I did).
>
> Thank you!
> Cheers

If the first row of a sort range consists of text (no numbers, no
blanks), the first row is supposed to be the header row.
If all your data are text, do yourself a favour and add column headers.