FYI: Writer watermarks template

Dave Koelmeyer Dave Koelmeyer

FYI: Writer watermarks template

Hi,

For those wanting an instant solution for LibreOffice Writer watermarks,
I've created a template which can be freely downloaded and used from here:

  * http://www.apertura.co.nz/libreofficewatermarks

The watermarks are SVG-format (small file size, 100 percent quality).
I'll be updating this with additional watermark page styles now and then.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: FYI: Writer watermarks template

I always use a image editor - i.e. GIMP - to make images look like
watermarks.
Then I add it to the document as a background.

The key was how you took the original image and modify it with
brightness and contrast controls till it looked like a watermark. This
was with OOo since LO was not created yet.

My best one was a letterhead logo that printed out using a laser printer
and would not be viewable when you used a scanner or copy machine.  I
used it for a not-for-profit organization that I have been on the board
with since 2007[?].

James E. Lang James E. Lang

I always use a image editor - i.e. GIMP - to make images look like
watermarks.
Then I add it to the document as a background.

The key was how you took the original image and modify it with
brightness and contrast controls till it looked like a watermark. This
was with OOo since LO was not created yet.

My best one was a letterhead logo that printed out using a laser printer
and would not be viewable when you used a scanner or copy machine.  I
used it for a not-for-profit organization that I have been on the board
with since 2007[?].

[ Almost sounds like magic! -- jl ]

--
Jim
jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: FYI: Writer watermarks template

Thank you Dave, It is a good job.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

--
Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

On 16/08/16 09:48, jorge wrote:
> Thank you Dave, It is a good job.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez

My pleasure.

If any folks would like this template in other languages please drop me
a line and I'll be happy to create additional versions (assuming you can
spare a little time and contribute your language expertise).

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz
GPG Key ID: 0x238BFF87

TomD TomD

Re: FYI: Writer watermarks template

Hi :)
There are many templates at:
http://templates.libreoffice.org/
which can be found from the official website via page;
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/templates-and-extensions/

Extensions can also be reached from the templates library.  Templates and
Extensions are mostly written by '3rd party' individuals or small groups
that have no other link with TDF.  At a guess it's a good way in to getting
experience with coding for LibreOffice.  Some Extensions end up being
merged into the main code.

Extensions and Templates are released under a variety of licenses with only
some of them being OpenSource.  We recently saw a thread about a
troublesome non-OpenSource Extension that still relies on Java and hasn't
been updated for several years.  If it had been released with an OpenSource
license then almost anyone could have kept it updated or re-written it.  As
it is the only hope is to create a very similar Extension but then there
would be tension between the original coders and the new ones instead of
harmony and respect.  OpenSource licenses help keep your code useful and
relevant in the future and reduce the onus on the original coder to
maintain their code.

For coding there are various OpenSource licenses such as GPL, LGPL and
MPL.  Some argue that GPLv3 is less "Open" than GPLv2 and each different
license has legitimate supporters and detractors.  LibreOffice uses MPL and
LGPL.  There are other licenses that are also far less restrictive than
traditional licenses such as those used by BSD operating systems and the
Apache Foundation.  These tend to give more credit and 'rights' to the
coders or the companies that created the code but creates some problems of
incompatibility with GPL, LGPL and MPL licenses.

For documentation, art and such the "Creative Commons" licenses allow
creators to choose how open or proprietary their licenses are.  This page
makes it really easy to see what the options are and to try a few before
finding one you are comfortable with;
https://creativecommons.org/choose/

The TDF wiki and documentation tends to choose the "CC-by-SA" to allow
people to share and modify;
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
as long as previous contributors/authors are given credit.  In the
Published Guides one of the early pages in the guide gives a list of
contributors.  CC has a few pages of advice on how to give "attribution" in
suitable ways for other types of works.

Having the templates available in a few central locations helps people find
them more easily and doesn't prevent individuals (or companies) from having
their own collections, preferably in both places.

TomD TomD

Re: FYI: Writer watermarks template

Hi :)
Errr, ooops!  I meant to say thanks to Dave for helping make it easier for
more people to use watermarks.
Congrats, thanks and regards from
Tom :)

On 16 August 2016 at 13:31, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> suitable ways for other types of works.
>

> Having the templates available in a few central locations helps people
> find them more easily and doesn't prevent individuals (or companies) from
> having their own collections, preferably in both places.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 16 August 2016 at 01:57, Dave Koelmeyer <dave.koelmeyer@davekoelmeyer.
> co.nz> wrote:
>
>> On 16/08/16 09:48, jorge wrote:
>> > Thank you Dave, It is a good job.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Jorge Rodríguez
>>
>> My pleasure.
>>
>> If any folks would like this template in other languages please drop me
>> a line and I'll be happy to create additional versions (assuming you can
>> spare a little time and contribute your language expertise).

Armin Le Grand-2 Armin Le Grand-2

Re: FYI: Writer watermarks template

with all fill attributes available now in Writer, just go to 'page...'
in page context menu (or format/page... in menu), in 'Area' tab use any
bitmap (best is to use 'import image...'), can be a SVG, too nowadays
(for size and quality). Seems as if you once have to say OK to get the
image applied, then go there again and in 'Transparency' tab choose any
transparency useful for watermark.

HTH!

Am 15.08.2016 um 01:44 schrieb Dave Koelmeyer:

> Hi,
>
> For those wanting an instant solution for LibreOffice Writer watermarks,
> I've created a template which can be freely downloaded and used from here:
>
>    * http://www.apertura.co.nz/libreofficewatermarks
>

> The watermarks are SVG-format (small file size, 100 percent quality).
> I'll be updating this with additional watermark page styles now and then.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

ALG (PGP Key: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 18/08/2016 12:45, Armin Le Grand wrote:

> with all fill attributes available now in Writer, just go to 'page...'

The Watermarks Template and Classification Toolbar address slightly
different issues.

jonathon