Failed mail

Mark's Google A/c Mark's Google A/c

Failed mail

I've been getting a *lot* of failed mail notifications from the
mailing list over the last few weeks.

After extensive investigation, there doesn't appear to be anything
wrong with my mailbox or mail servers, so I'm curious, how many other
people get this, either frequently or occasionally?  Is it just me?

Mark Stanton

Tom Tom

Re: Failed mail

Hi :)
For some reason this post got blocked and had to be rescued by the moderators.  I'm not sure what is going on and my email client doesn't make it easy to read much in the headers to find out.

I've not seen many other messages from Mark in the list of blocked messages.
Apols and regards from

>After extensive investigation, there doesn't appear to be anything
>wrong with my mailbox or mail servers, so I'm curious, how many other
>people get this, either frequently or occasionally?  Is it just me?
>
>Mark Stanton

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Failed mail

It happened to me when one of my email hosting company's black listing
services "lists" decided that the IP address of one of LO's servers was
to be blacklisted.  The IP address was blacklisted for a user 10 years
before LO "bought" the IP address for the server.

It could be that your email client picked up something similar. If one
of their lists shows that one of LO's IP addresses should be blacklisted
based upon previous "users" of that address, then most of your emails to
the list will not get through.  Also your service can reject receiving
emails from our servers as well.

You might want to contact your service and see if any IP addresses in
your headers are in one their black lists they use.  Maybe they can add
LO back in a white list.

On 08/17/2013 06:00 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> For some reason this post got blocked and had to be rescued by the moderators.  I'm not sure what is going on and my email client doesn't make it easy to read much in the headers to find out.
>
> I've not seen many other messages from Mark in the list of blocked messages.
> Apols and regards from
> Tom :)

>> After extensive investigation, there doesn't appear to be anything
>> wrong with my mailbox or mail servers, so I'm curious, how many other
>> people get this, either frequently or occasionally?  Is it just me?
>>
>> Mark Stanton

Thomas Taylor Thomas Taylor

Re: Failed mail

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:00:22 +0100 (BST)
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> For some reason this post got blocked and had to be rescued by the
> moderators.  I'm not sure what is going on and my email client doesn't make
> it easy to read much in the headers to find out.
>
> I've not seen many other messages from Mark in the list of blocked messages.
> Apols and regards from
> Tom :)

> >After extensive investigation, there doesn't appear to be anything
> >wrong with my mailbox or mail servers, so I'm curious, how many other
> >people get this, either frequently or occasionally?  Is it just me?
> >
> >Mark Stanton
> >

> >--
> >sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Looking at the headers from the OP the message was re-routed 9 times.  It might
have been blocked at any point in that list and tracing it would be very
difficult.

My first suggestion would be to try one of the "free" internet providers
(gmail, hotmail, etc.)to see if the message was still being blocked.

Tom

--
Insight comes more often than not, from looking at what's been on the table
all along.

^^  --...  ...--  / -.-  --.  --...  -.-.  ..-.  -.-.

^^^^
Tom Taylor - retired penguin - KG7CFC
AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata2
openSUSE 12.3-x86_64
KDE 4.10.00, FF 19.0, claws-mail 3.9.1
registered linux user 263467

James Knott James Knott

Re: Failed mail

Mark's Google A/c wrote:

> I've been getting a *lot* of failed mail notifications from the
> mailing list over the last few weeks.
>
> After extensive investigation, there doesn't appear to be anything
> wrong with my mailbox or mail servers, so I'm curious, how many other
> people get this, either frequently or occasionally?  Is it just me?
>
> Mark Stanton

I occasionally get bounced mail from the different lists I'm on.  It's
usually the recipient that has the problem.

Dave Liesse Dave Liesse

Re: Failed mail

That would be correct.  It's the incoming mail that's scanned, not the
outgoing -- and too many spam checkers look only at the IP address.  It
doesn't matter if there are 4000 users on your shared, hosted server; as
far as they're concerned if one's guilty, all are guilty, as if we have
any say over who else shares the server.

Dave

On 8/17/2013 12:41, James Knott wrote:

> Mark's Google A/c wrote:
>> I've been getting a *lot* of failed mail notifications from the
>> mailing list over the last few weeks.
>>
>> After extensive investigation, there doesn't appear to be anything
>> wrong with my mailbox or mail servers, so I'm curious, how many other
>> people get this, either frequently or occasionally?  Is it just me?
>>
>> Mark Stanton
>>

> I occasionally get bounced mail from the different lists I'm on.  It's
> usually the recipient that has the problem.

Screwbottle Screwbottle

Re: Failed mail

Dave

Actually outgoing mail is scanned, by your service provider. This is
mandatory as to avoid their range of IP addresses being blacklisted.
Some SP's have a less strict scanning and blocking policy, which then
passes onto multiple transports servers to the receivers SP, who might
use a stricter policy and they then block and submit the IP for
blacklisting.

This is how many spam and maliciousware servers are discovered and shut
down, from their sending content.

Regards

Andrew Brown