Find and replace

Andrew Pullins Andrew Pullins

Find and replace

why is it that the "Find and Replace" hot key was changed from "clrt + F" to
"clrt + alt + F". every program that I have ever used has ctrl + F as find.
ctrl + F does not seem to do any thing right now. so why did this change.
this was a bad decision, for users are used to the old hot key. why change
it on them.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Find and replace

Andrew

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 13:49 -0400, Andrew Pullins wrote:

> why is it that the "Find and Replace" hot key was changed from "clrt + F" to
> "clrt + alt + F". every program that I have ever used has ctrl + F as find.
> ctrl + F does not seem to do any thing right now. so why did this change.
> this was a bad decision, for users are used to the old hot key. why change
> it on them.

I have cntl+F for find only and cntl+alt+F for find/replace on 3.4.3
using Ubuntu/Pinguy 11.04. I prefer having cntl+F and alt+F because both
only need two fingers.

--
Jay Lozier

Lior Kaplan Lior Kaplan

Re: Find and replace

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:45 AM, planas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew
>
> On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 13:49 -0400, Andrew Pullins wrote:
>
> > why is it that the "Find and Replace" hot key was changed from "clrt + F"
> > "clrt + alt + F". every program that I have ever used has ctrl + F as
> find.
> > ctrl + F does not seem to do any thing right now. so why did this change.
> > this was a bad decision, for users are used to the old hot key. why
> change
> > it on them.
> >

> I have cntl+F for find only and cntl+alt+F for find/replace on 3.4.3
> using Ubuntu/Pinguy 11.04. I prefer having cntl+F and alt+F because both
> only need two fingers.
>
> A lot of software use ctrl + h for search&replace...

Kaplan

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Find and replace

Hi Andrew, Planas!

Am Freitag, den 14.10.2011, 19:45 -0400 schrieb planas:

> On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 13:49 -0400, Andrew Pullins wrote:
>
> > why is it that the "Find and Replace" hot key was changed from "clrt + F" to
> > "clrt + alt + F". every program that I have ever used has ctrl + F as find.
> > ctrl + F does not seem to do any thing right now. so why did this change.
> > this was a bad decision, for users are used to the old hot key. why change
> > it on them.
>
> I have cntl+F for find only and cntl+alt+F for find/replace on 3.4.3
> using Ubuntu/Pinguy 11.04. I prefer having cntl+F and alt+F because both
> only need two fingers.

CTRL+F should open the search toolbar - if not, then the configuration
is messed up, or (maybe) the search bar has been switched off via the
toolbar menu entry in View. Currently, the search bar is a toolbar
(which is a bit weird, but was chosen by the devs because of easier
implementation).

For more information about the issue (and chances to contribute to make
the search experience better), see:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Find_Bar#Issue

Greetings from the conference (or more detailed: shortly before
breakfast) :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Find and replace

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 07:45 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Andrew, Planas!
>
> Am Freitag, den 14.10.2011, 19:45 -0400 schrieb planas:
> > On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 13:49 -0400, Andrew Pullins wrote:
> >
> > > why is it that the "Find and Replace" hot key was changed from "clrt + F" to
> > > "clrt + alt + F". every program that I have ever used has ctrl + F as find.
> > > ctrl + F does not seem to do any thing right now. so why did this change.
> > > this was a bad decision, for users are used to the old hot key. why change
> > > it on them.
> >
> > I have cntl+F for find only and cntl+alt+F for find/replace on 3.4.3
> > using Ubuntu/Pinguy 11.04. I prefer having cntl+F and alt+F because both
> > only need two fingers.
>
> CTRL+F should open the search toolbar - if not, then the configuration
> is messed up, or (maybe) the search bar has been switched off via the
> toolbar menu entry in View. Currently, the search bar is a toolbar
> (which is a bit weird, but was chosen by the devs because of easier
> implementation).

I should be clearer, CTRL+F opened the search toolbar - at the bottom of
the screen. Some may miss it because of its location does not get one's
attention - initially I did not notice it.

--
Jay Lozier

Andrew Pullins Andrew Pullins

Re: Find and replace

I Kinda like having a find and replace menu. why should there be two hot
keys or even two menus.