First-time development/C++ Contributor

Ares Dragoj Ares Dragoj

First-time development/C++ Contributor

Hello open-source and LibreOffice enthusiasts!

I am a 21 year old with beginner knowledge in C++ based in Tirana, Albania. Because of my passion towards this C++ I thought of putting  my knowledge into practice and why not, expand my knowledge even further. LibreOffice captured my attention as a leading free open source platform. I contacted Open Labs hackerspace' members here in Tirana to hopefully jump start me to the contribution process and how it works and they directed me to this list. I am more than willing to jump start my contribution to LibreOffice and will apreciate if you could show me a way of finding some 'begginer tasks' or any quick fixes.

Thank you for reading! I am looking forward to contributing! :)

Michael Weghorn Michael Weghorn

Re: First-time development/C++ Contributor

Hi Ares,

On 24/01/2019 15.58, Ares Dragoj wrote:> [...] I am more than willing to
jump start my contribution to
> LibreOffice and will apreciate if you could showme a way of finding some
> 'begginer tasks' or any quick fixes.

Nice to hear and welcome!

Those beginner tasks are called "Easy Hacks" and you can find more
information, including links to current Easy Hacks, in the corresponding
wiki page at [1]. Also, there's more information on LibreOffice
development in the wiki at [2].

HTH,
Michael

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/EasyHacks
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development

Michael Weghorn Michael Weghorn

Re: First-time development/C++ Contributor

[Taking the conversation back to the development mailing list]

On 28/01/2019 12.31, Ares Dragoj wrote:
> Firstly, thank you for the warm welcome!
> Next I would like to know do I need to build LibreOffice even if I have
> the app installed in my computer (I'm on Windows OS)? If I need to, is
> the usage of "lode" mandatory?
> Thank you in advance!

If you actually want to work on the code, you'll have to build
LibreOffice by yourself in order to test your modifications.

The use of "lode" is not mandatory, you can also manually do the
required setup, but be aware that lode will simplify the setup and
you're more on your own if you encounter any issues while doing things
by yourself.
Mike Kaganski Mike Kaganski

On 28.01.2019 14:40, Michael Weghorn wrote:
> The use of "lode" is not mandatory, you can also manually do the
> required setup, but be aware that lode will simplify the setup

True, but

> and
> you're more on your own if you encounter any issues while doing things
> by yourself.

Personally I feel more comfortable helping those on IRC who do it by
themselves, because that's how I did, and so because I'm more familiar
with that setup.

Mike Kaganski
Ares Dragoj Ares Dragoj

Re: First-time development/C++ Contributor

I feel like going for it by myself so I learn a thing or two along the way probably what I am going to do. Thanks for the info! Any help will be appreciated, I might hop on IRC but am more used to Telegram as a source of communication at the moment