Flat Icons Guidelines

issa issa

Flat Icons Guidelines

Hello world,

Here is a rough list of guidelines for designing the flat icons which I compiled from jimmac on irc and stereotype on her blog (GNOME symbolic icons designers):

  1.  Use a 16x16 primary canvas.
  2.  Snap to grids for clean shapes.
  3.  Stick to the metaphor of the full-color set whenever possible.
  4.  Reuse icons available in GNOME symbolic-icons or parts of them whenever possible.
  5.  Use as simple of a shape as possible, switching from perspective to head on when needed.
  6.  Omit non-defining details and focus on one shape, do not use tiny labels or numbers.
  7.  If possible use a 2px outline.
  8.  Never use fonts in the outcome, draw the characters with snapping to grids in mind when needed.
  9.  Use #bebebe as the color to your icons, if a secondary shade is needed or showing inactivity is desired use the %35 opacity of the same color.
  10. Add a blank 16x16 square centered on top of your finished icon and group it with it.
  11. Test the outcome in 16x16 and scaled up dimensions.
  12. Follow the standard icons naming.

Any additions or thoughts?

Note: From now on "Flat icons" refers to the monochrome ones, the colored ones will only be made after these are done (and most likely they will be given a fancier name :) ).

_______________________
Regards,
Issa Alkurtass
Motah Program, KACST
Warning: This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may contain information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and its attachment, if any. You should not copy the message and its attachment, if any, or disclose its contents to any other person or use it for any purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail and its attachment, if any, are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of King Abdulaziz city for Science and Technology (KACST) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. KACST accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email.

?????: ??? ??????? ??? ????? ?? ?????? (?? ????) ???? ????? ???? ?? ????? ??? ??????? ????? ????? ???????. ??? ?? ??? ????? ?????? ???? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ??????? ???? ?????? ????? ???? ??????? ????????? (?? ????)? ??? ???? ?? ??? ?? ????? ??? ??????? ?? ???????? (?? ????) ?? ?? ??? ????? ?? ????? ?????????? ????? ?? ????????? ??? ???. ????? ??? ???? ??? ??????? ????????? (?? ????) ???? ?? ??? ??????? ???? ???????? ??? ????? ????? ????????? ?????? ???????? ???????? ??????? ????????? ??? ????? ??????? ?? ??????? ?? ??????? ??????? ?? ?? ?? ?????? ??? ??????.

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hi Issa,

you wrote:
> Here is a rough list of guidelines for designing the flat icons
> which I compiled from jimmac on irc and stereotype on her blog
> (GNOME symbolic icons designers):
>
>   1.  Use a 16x16 primary canvas.

[snip]

Let me add a

13. Group, layer, and name the icon area placeholder according to
    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/User_Experience/Tools
    section SVG Icon / Graphics Workflow, so that we can extract and
    convert them by script.

I'd need to re-find the svgs that have this labelling for examples,
but the extraction script generally expects a <name>_<size> labelling,
and exports to <name><size>.png - of course that can be adjusted. Just
be consistent. :)

(I can do that for a handful of icons manually, as done for the
android icons - but it becomes intractable for large icon sets. Of
course, cannot harm to equip also the android icons with said labels)

Beyond that, great initiative - thanks a lot! And, once the workflow
is decided, prolly worth sticking to the wiki prominently?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

That seems great for me. Don't have lot of time these days but If everyone
is Okay I will update the old wiki-page of flat icon set with these
guidelines

2013/2/27 Thorsten Behrens <[hidden email]>

> Hi Issa,
>
> you wrote:
> > Here is a rough list of guidelines for designing the flat icons
> > which I compiled from jimmac on irc and stereotype on her blog
> > (GNOME symbolic icons designers):
> >
> >   1.  Use a 16x16 primary canvas.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Let me add a
>
> 13. Group, layer, and name the icon area placeholder according to
>     https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/User_Experience/Tools
>     section SVG Icon / Graphics Workflow, so that we can extract and
>     convert them by script.
>
> I'd need to re-find the svgs that have this labelling for examples,
> but the extraction script generally expects a <name>_<size> labelling,
> and exports to <name><size>.png - of course that can be adjusted. Just
> be consistent. :)
>
> (I can do that for a handful of icons manually, as done for the
> android icons - but it becomes intractable for large icon sets. Of
> course, cannot harm to equip also the android icons with said labels)
>
> Beyond that, great initiative - thanks a lot! And, once the workflow
> is decided, prolly worth sticking to the wiki prominently?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Thorsten

issa issa

RE: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hello Thorsten, Kévin,

Thorsten wrote on February 27, 2013 6:49 PM:
>Let me add a
>
>13. Group, layer, and name the icon area placeholder according to
>    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/User_Experience/Tools
>    section SVG Icon / Graphics Workflow, so that we can extract and
>    convert them by script.

Consider it added :)

Kévin PEIGNOT wrote on March 01, 2013 11:25 AM:
>That seems great for me. Don't have lot of time these days but If everyone is Okay I will >update the old wiki-page of >flat icon set with these guidelines

I didn't add it yet because I'm wondering whether we should update the old flat icons page or make a new one, because pretty much everything on the old page will be scrapped.
I guess we could move the old page's content to "Flat icons set (Android)"?
_______________________
Regards,
Issa Alkurtass
Motah Program, KACST
Warning: This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may contain information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and its attachment, if any. You should not copy the message and its attachment, if any, or disclose its contents to any other person or use it for any purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail and its attachment, if any, are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of King Abdulaziz city for Science and Technology (KACST) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. KACST accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email.

تحذير: هذه الرسالة وما تحويه من مرفقات (إن وجدت) تمثل وثيقة سرية قد تحتوي على معلومات محمية بموجب القانون. إذا لم تكن الشخص المعني بهذه الرسالة فيجب عليك تنبيه المُرسل بخطأ وصولها إليك، وحذف الرسالة ومرفقاتها (إن وجدت)، ولا يجوز لك نسخ أو توزيع هذه الرسالة أو مرفقاتها (إن وجدت) أو أي جزء منها، أو البوح بمحتوياتها للغير أو استعمالها لأي غرض. علماً بأن فحوى هذه الرسالة ومرفقاتها (ان وجدت) تعبر عن رأي المُرسل وليس بالضرورة رأي مدينة الملك عبدالعزيز للعلوم والتقنية بالمملكة العربية السعودية، ولا تتحمل المدينة أي مسئولية عن الأضرار الناتجة عن ما قد يحتويه هذا البريد.

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hi Issa, Every One

2013/3/1 Issa Alkurtass <[hidden email]>

> Hello Thorsten, Kévin,
>
> Thorsten wrote on February 27, 2013 6:49 PM:
> >Let me add a
> >
> >13. Group, layer, and name the icon area placeholder according to
> >    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/User_Experience/Tools
> >    section SVG Icon / Graphics Workflow, so that we can extract and
> >    convert them by script.
>
> Consider it added :)
>
> Kévin PEIGNOT wrote on March 01, 2013 11:25 AM:
> >That seems great for me. Don't have lot of time these days but If
> everyone is Okay I will >update the old wiki-page of >flat icon set with
> these guidelines
>
> I didn't add it yet because I'm wondering whether we should update the old
> flat icons page or make a new one, because pretty much everything on the
> old page will be scrapped.
> I guess we could move the old page's content to "Flat icons set (Android)"?

That's right, that's probably the best thing to do. or Flat icon set (old).
Then the old proposals could be updated easily by they creators .

I think we should choose a different architecure for the wiki page. Maybe
less text and more icons, a tabl or something like that

> _______________________
> Regards,
> Issa Alkurtass
> Motah Program, KACST
> Warning: This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may
> contain information protected by law. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and
> its attachment, if any. You should not copy the message and its attachment,
> if any, or disclose its contents to any other person or use it for any
> purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail and its
> attachment, if any, are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect
> those of King Abdulaziz city for Science and Technology (KACST) in the
> Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. KACST accepts no liability for any damage caused
> by this email.
>
> تحذير: هذه الرسالة وما تحويه من مرفقات (إن وجدت) تمثل وثيقة سرية قد تحتوي
> على معلومات محمية بموجب القانون. إذا لم تكن الشخص المعني بهذه الرسالة فيجب
> عليك تنبيه المُرسل بخطأ وصولها إليك، وحذف الرسالة ومرفقاتها (إن وجدت)، ولا
> يجوز لك نسخ أو توزيع هذه الرسالة أو مرفقاتها (إن وجدت) أو أي جزء منها، أو
> البوح بمحتوياتها للغير أو استعمالها لأي غرض. علماً بأن فحوى هذه الرسالة
> ومرفقاتها (ان وجدت) تعبر عن رأي المُرسل وليس بالضرورة رأي مدينة الملك
> عبدالعزيز للعلوم والتقنية بالمملكة العربية السعودية، ولا تتحمل المدينة أي
> مسئولية عن الأضرار الناتجة عن ما قد يحتويه هذا البريد.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hi Kévin,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Kévin PEIGNOT <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Issa, Every One
>

> 2013/3/1 Issa Alkurtass <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello Thorsten, Kévin,
>>
>> Thorsten wrote on February 27, 2013 6:49 PM:
>> >Let me add a
>> >
>> >13. Group, layer, and name the icon area placeholder according to
>> >    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/User_Experience/Tools
>> >    section SVG Icon / Graphics Workflow, so that we can extract and
>> >    convert them by script.
>>
>> Consider it added :)
>>
>> Kévin PEIGNOT wrote on March 01, 2013 11:25 AM:
>> >That seems great for me. Don't have lot of time these days but If
>> everyone is Okay I will >update the old wiki-page of >flat icon set with
>> these guidelines
>>
>> I didn't add it yet because I'm wondering whether we should update the
>> old flat icons page or make a new one, because pretty much everything on
>> the old page will be scrapped.
>> I guess we could move the old page's content to "Flat icons set
>> (Android)"?
>>
> That's right, that's probably the best thing to do. or Flat icon set
> (old). Then the old proposals could be updated easily by they creators .
>
> I think we should choose a different architecure for the wiki page. Maybe
> less text and more icons, a tabl or something like that

Actually, this time around, we're adopting Gnome's workflow and going with
github [1] + SparkleShare [2]. The wiki isn't a good place for managing
lots of images -- uploading each version of the hundreds of icons that are
planned would be tedious.

[1] https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons
[2] http://sparkleshare.org/

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hi Mirek

Thanks a lot, seems to be a good way (and far better than the Wiki). So
icons will be stored in GitHub, and we can access them via Sparkleshare for
exemple to have everyone synced that's it ?

Kevin

2013/3/1 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>

> Hi Kévin,
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Kévin PEIGNOT <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Issa, Every One
>>

>> 2013/3/1 Issa Alkurtass <[hidden email]>

>>> Consider it added :)

>>> everyone is Okay I will >update the old wiki-page of >flat icon set with
>>> these guidelines
>>>
>>> I didn't add it yet because I'm wondering whether we should update the
>>> old flat icons page or make a new one, because pretty much everything on
>>> the old page will be scrapped.
>>> I guess we could move the old page's content to "Flat icons set
>>> (Android)"?
>>>
>> That's right, that's probably the best thing to do. or Flat icon set
>> (old). Then the old proposals could be updated easily by they creators .
>>
>> I think we should choose a different architecure for the wiki page. Maybe
>> less text and more icons, a tabl or something like that
>>

> Actually, this time around, we're adopting Gnome's workflow and going with
> github [1] + SparkleShare [2]. The wiki isn't a good place for managing
> lots of images -- uploading each version of the hundreds of icons that are
> planned would be tedious.
>
> [1] https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons
> [2] http://sparkleshare.org/

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Could the designers "post" as one image their set of icon ideas
[current/best ideas] in a PNG/JPG file on the wiki pages or somewhere
else?  Someone like me that has other work going on for LO and local
projects [and little time to do those] can see a "brief" overview of
what is being proposed?

I just started on this list to ask about getting a set of the icons in
large format, and I thank you for that help.  So, I do not know what is
going on with the discussions and would like to see some of the
"current" ideas presented on a web page for easy viewing.  I may not be
the only one.

On 03/01/2013 08:44 AM, Kévin PEIGNOT wrote:

> Hi Mirek
>
> Thanks a lot, seems to be a good way (and far better than the Wiki). So
> icons will be stored in GitHub, and we can access them via Sparkleshare for
> exemple to have everyone synced that's it ?
>
> Kevin
>

> 2013/3/1 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Kévin,
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Kévin PEIGNOT <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Issa, Every One

>>> That's right, that's probably the best thing to do. or Flat icon set
>>> (old). Then the old proposals could be updated easily by they creators .
>>>
>>> I think we should choose a different architecure for the wiki page. Maybe
>>> less text and more icons, a tabl or something like that
>>>
>> Actually, this time around, we're adopting Gnome's workflow and going with
>> github [1] + SparkleShare [2]. The wiki isn't a good place for managing
>> lots of images -- uploading each version of the hundreds of icons that are
>> planned would be tedious.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons
>> [2] http://sparkleshare.org/

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hi,

Yes I think it's a good idea, even if it's not on the wiki, we should
add this there : https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design (maybe in
the whiteboard or a new section ?)

Le ven. 01 mars 2013 16:35:14 CET, webmaster-Kracked_P_P a écrit :

> Could the designers "post" as one image their set of icon ideas
> [current/best ideas] in a PNG/JPG file on the wiki pages or somewhere
> else?  Someone like me that has other work going on for LO and local
> projects [and little time to do those] can see a "brief" overview of
> what is being proposed?
>
> I just started on this list to ask about getting a set of the icons in
> large format, and I thank you for that help.  So, I do not know what
> is going on with the discussions and would like to see some of the
> "current" ideas presented on a web page for easy viewing.  I may not
> be the only one.
>

> On 03/01/2013 08:44 AM, Kévin PEIGNOT wrote:
>> Hi Mirek
>>
>> Thanks a lot, seems to be a good way (and far better than the Wiki). So
>> icons will be stored in GitHub, and we can access them via
>> Sparkleshare for
>> exemple to have everyone synced that's it ?
>>
>> Kevin
>>

>> 2013/3/1 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi Kévin,

>>> Actually, this time around, we're adopting Gnome's workflow and
>>> going with
>>> github [1] + SparkleShare [2]. The wiki isn't a good place for managing
>>> lots of images -- uploading each version of the hundreds of icons
>>> that are
>>> planned would be tedious.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons
>>> [2] http://sparkleshare.org/

issa issa

RE: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hello webmaster-Kracked_P_P,

webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote on March 01, 2013 6:35 PM:

>Could the designers "post" as one image their set of icon ideas
>[current/best ideas] in a PNG/JPG file on the wiki pages or somewhere
>else?  Someone like me that has other work going on for LO and local
>projects [and little time to do those] can see a "brief" overview of
>what is being proposed?
>
>I just started on this list to ask about getting a set of the icons in
>large format, and I thank you for that help.  So, I do not know what is
>going on with the discussions and would like to see some of the
>"current" ideas presented on a web page for easy viewing.  I may not be
>the only one.

The ideas would be a bit hard to do, but I'm thinking we can post a screenshot of the completed icons every once in a while :)

_______________________
[...]

Screen shots would be wonderful !!!!!!

On 03/01/2013 12:06 PM, Issa Alkurtass wrote:

> Hello webmaster-Kracked_P_P,
>
> webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote on March 01, 2013 6:35 PM:
>> Could the designers "post" as one image their set of icon ideas
>> [current/best ideas] in a PNG/JPG file on the wiki pages or somewhere
>> else?  Someone like me that has other work going on for LO and local
>> projects [and little time to do those] can see a "brief" overview of
>> what is being proposed?
>>
>> I just started on this list to ask about getting a set of the icons in
>> large format, and I thank you for that help.  So, I do not know what is
>> going on with the discussions and would like to see some of the
>> "current" ideas presented on a web page for easy viewing.  I may not be
>> the only one.
> The ideas would be a bit hard to do, but I'm thinking we can post a screenshot of the completed icons every once in a while :)
>
> _______________________
> Regards,
> Issa Alkurtass
> Motah Program, KACST
> Warning: This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may contain information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and its attachment, if any. You should not copy the message and its attachment, if any, or disclose its contents to any other person or use it for any purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail and its attachment, if any, are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of King Abdulaziz city for Science and Technology (KACST) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. KACST accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email.
>
> تحذير: هذه الرسالة وما تحويه من مرفقات (إن وجدت) تمثل وثيقة سرية قد تحتوي على معلومات محمية بموجب القانون. إذا لم تكن الشخص المعني بهذه الرسالة فيجب عليك تنبيه المُرسل بخطأ وصولها إليك، وحذف الرسالة ومرفقاتها (إن وجدت)، ولا يجوز لك نسخ أو توزيع هذه الرسالة أو مرفقاتها (إن وجدت) أو أي جزء منها، أو البوح بمحتوياتها للغير أو استعمالها لأي غرض. علماً بأن فحوى هذه الرسالة ومرفقاتها (ان وجدت) تعبر عن رأي المُرسل وليس بالضرورة رأي مدينة الملك عبدالعزيز للعلوم والتقنية بالمملكة العربية السعودية، ولا تتحمل المدينة أي مسئولية عن الأضرار الناتجة عن ما قد يحتويه هذا البريد.

anonymous anonymous

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
issa issa

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hello Steve,

SteveBell wrote on March 04, 2013 12:07 AM:
>Absolutely agree with every word. Use of the wiki for discussing anything icon related would be great.
>
>Can someone create a whiteboard?

Will do soon.
_______________________
[...]

We first have to decide whether to use a new page, the same page than the
previous (android) or move the old page somewhere and reuse the same URL.

Personnaly, I would move move
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Flat_icon_set to
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Flat_icon_set_androidet
use this location for the new whiteboard (with the link to the old
one)

Kévin

2013/3/3 Issa Alkurtass <[hidden email]>

> Hello Steve,
>
> SteveBell wrote on March 04, 2013 12:07 AM:
> >Absolutely agree with every word. Use of the wiki for discussing anything
> icon related would be great.
> >
> >Can someone create a whiteboard?
>
> Will do soon.
> _______________________
> Regards,
> Issa Alkurtass
> Motah Program, KACST
> Warning: This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may
> contain information protected by law. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and
> its attachment, if any. You should not copy the message and its attachment,
> if any, or disclose its contents to any other person or use it for any
> purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail and its
> attachment, if any, are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect
> those of King Abdulaziz city for Science and Technology (KACST) in the
> Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. KACST accepts no liability for any damage caused
> by this email.
>
> تحذير: هذه الرسالة وما تحويه من مرفقات (إن وجدت) تمثل وثيقة سرية قد تحتوي
> على معلومات محمية بموجب القانون. إذا لم تكن الشخص المعني بهذه الرسالة فيجب
> عليك تنبيه المُرسل بخطأ وصولها إليك، وحذف الرسالة ومرفقاتها (إن وجدت)، ولا
> يجوز لك نسخ أو توزيع هذه الرسالة أو مرفقاتها (إن وجدت) أو أي جزء منها، أو
> البوح بمحتوياتها للغير أو استعمالها لأي غرض. علماً بأن فحوى هذه الرسالة
> ومرفقاتها (ان وجدت) تعبر عن رأي المُرسل وليس بالضرورة رأي مدينة الملك
> عبدالعزيز للعلوم والتقنية بالمملكة العربية السعودية، ولا تتحمل المدينة أي
> مسئولية عن الأضرار الناتجة عن ما قد يحتويه هذا البريد.

mirek2 mirek2

Fwd: [libreoffice-design] Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Kévin PEIGNOT <[hidden email]>wrote:

> We first have to decide whether to use a new page, the same page than the
> previous (android) or move the old page somewhere and reuse the same URL.
>
> Personnaly, I would move move
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Flat_icon_set to
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Flat_icon_set_androidet
> use this location for the new whiteboard (with the link to the old
> one)

Done, except I moved it to
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Android_icon_set.

anonymous anonymous

Re: [libreoffice-design] Flat Icons Guidelines

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Mariano  Gaudix Mariano Gaudix

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hi  Issa  .

I am developing   a  pack  of  icons      with the  style of  FAENZA   .

I would like to help your project , with ideas or icons.

these  are the icons  that  i  develop.

You can  download   icons  in Gnome-look

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Faenza+Icons++for+LibreOffice++4.0.2?content=157970

Faenza for LibreOffice
issa issa

Re: Flat Icons Guidelines

Hello Mariano,

Sorry for the late reply.
I'd really appreciate you help. I'll send you details soon.

Regards,
Issa Alkurtass

<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4054649/157970-1.png>