FontForge - converting fonts...

zed zed

FontForge - converting fonts...

I've been very interested in the discussion of the problems users are
having in LO5.4.1.2 not reading fonts. Someone mentioned that he had
converted a font to one LO had no trouble finding, So I thought I would
try and do the same .

Downloaded FontForge with the purpose of converting Garamond Adobe fonts
to a format which LO 5.4.1.2 can read.

When I open the Garamond fonts in Font Forge they are displayed

ugmm8a.pfb
ugmmi8a.pfb
ugmmr8a.pfb
ugmmri8a.pfb

Clicking on any one of them displays an edit window and I presume that I
should be able to convert each to something other than .pfb but have no
idea how to do it.

I have looked at several utube videos but they do not cover conversion
from one font type to another, concentrating upon creating new fonts.  I
tried to access the fontforge website but after some twenty minutes of
waiting for it to load, without success, I gave up.

All advice would be welcome, as the Garamond font is used for my business
letterhead.

zed
--
zed
Divorce, n. The past tense of marriage

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: FontForge - converting fonts...

> I've been very interested in the discussion of the problems users are
> having in LO5.4.1.2 not reading fonts. Someone mentioned that he had
> converted a font to one LO had no trouble finding, So I thought I would
> try and do the same .
>
> Downloaded FontForge with the purpose of converting Garamond Adobe fonts
> to a format which LO 5.4.1.2 can read.
>
> When I open the Garamond fonts in Font Forge they are displayed
>
> ugmm8a.pfb
> ugmmi8a.pfb
> ugmmr8a.pfb
> ugmmri8a.pfb
>
> Clicking on any one of them displays an edit window and I presume that I
> should be able to convert each to something other than .pfb but have no
> idea how to do it.
>
> I have looked at several utube videos but they do not cover conversion
> from one font type to another, concentrating upon creating new fonts.  I
> tried to access the fontforge website but after some twenty minutes of
> waiting for it to load, without success, I gave up.
>
> All advice would be welcome, as the Garamond font is used for my business
> letterhead.

It seems you need to create a script for that. A quick search gives me this

http://jeromejaglale.com/doc/convert_pfb_pfm_font_to_otf

https://fontforge.github.io/scripting-tutorial.html

I've never did that, so I cannot help you more. But if you need to use a
garalde font for headings try switching to Cormorant, a really good OFL
licensed font full of OpenType features:

https://github.com/CatharsisFonts/Cormorant

The stylistic set 2 (+ss02) provides an even more "garamond" shape than the
basic font.

Regards,
Ricardo

Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, zed wrote:

> When I open the Garamond fonts in Font Forge they are displayed
>
> ugmm8a.pfb
> ugmmi8a.pfb
> ugmmr8a.pfb
> ugmmri8a.pfb
>
> Clicking on any one of them displays an edit window and I presume that I
> should be able to convert each to something other than .pfb but have no
> idea how to do it.
>
> I have looked at several utube videos ...

Zed,

   I know that reading is so 20th Century compared to watching someone's
video on youtube, but the answer can be found on the new fontforge web site
(using the scripts option)[1]. Or check out this techwalla web site (found
with a duckduckgo search
<https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-convert-fonts-from-otf-to-ttf>.
While not the translation you want, the protocol is sound.

   To get you started (and please do read the fontforge scripting tutorial to
tune it for your needs) here is the script I use to convert to .otf fonts:

x<--------------
[1] convert-fonts.sh

#!/usr/bin/fontforge

# Use fontforge to convert .ttf, .pfb, and .svg to .otf
# invoke as ./convert-fonts.sh <font_name>.

i = 1
format = ".otf"
while (i < $argc)
   if ($argv[i] == "-format" || $argv[i] == "--format")
     i = i+1
     if (i < $argc)
       format = $argv[i]
       if (format != ".ttf" && format != ".otf" && \
           format != ".pfb" && format != ".svg")
          Error( "Expected one of '.ttf', '.otf', '.pfb' or '.svg' for format" )
        endif
      endif
    else
      Open($argv[i])
      if ($order == 2 && (format == ".otf" || format == ".pfb" ))
  SetFontOrder(3)
         SelectAll()
         Simplify(128+32+8,1.5)
         ScaleToEm(1000)
       elseif ($order == 3 && format == ".ttf" )
         ScaleToEm(2048)
         RoundToInt()
       endif
       Generate($argv[i]:r + format)
    endif
    i = i + 1
endloop
x<==========================

HTH,

Rich

krackedpress krackedpress

On 09/28/2017 03:38 AM, zed wrote:

> I've been very interested in the discussion of the problems users are
> having in LO5.4.1.2 not reading fonts. Someone mentioned that he had
> converted a font to one LO had no trouble finding, So I thought I would
> try and do the same .
>
> Downloaded FontForge with the purpose of converting Garamond Adobe fonts
> to a format which LO 5.4.1.2 can read.
>
> When I open the Garamond fonts in Font Forge they are displayed
>
> ugmm8a.pfb
> ugmmi8a.pfb
> ugmmr8a.pfb
> ugmmri8a.pfb
>
> Clicking on any one of them displays an edit window and I presume that I
> should be able to convert each to something other than .pfb but have no
> idea how to do it.
>
> I have looked at several utube videos but they do not cover conversion
> from one font type to another, concentrating upon creating new fonts.  I
> tried to access the fontforge website but after some twenty minutes of
> waiting for it to load, without success, I gave up.
>
> All advice would be welcome, as the Garamond font is used for my business
> letterhead.
>
> zed

I just tried Fontforge using Ubuntu 16.04/MATE.

In opened a TTF font and went to File > Generate Fonts.  I looked at the
option "buttons" and choose to make it an OTF one. All I had to do after
that was to save the font.

The process gave me some errors, but the resulting font looked the
same.  Since I used a font that was decorative one, so it was not a
"standard" font.  I think that was what the errors were about.

I do have the Adobe font collection in "storage", but I never used Type
1 fonts so I could not test Fontforge with that type of font.