Footnote documentation

marcgrober marcgrober

Footnote documentation

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Footnote documentation

Hi Marc, :-)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 07:38, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had not planned on offering to write for LibreOffice,  but have been
> doing some writing for Moodle. However, I was trying to get rid of the
> footnote separator line in LibreOffice 3.3 when I discovered that the
> documentation was completely at odds with the application. Is someone
> needed to delete that section,  or did a menu just get dropped by mikstake?

Could you please explain more explicitly?

David Nelson

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: volunteering

@David

I could not get a functional footnote tab so was concerned that the
footnote tab functionality had either been deleted accidentally or moved
and the and documentation had not been updated.

In the interim I have discovered that the issue was that the footnote
tab simply does not line up with the other tabs so it is easy to miss.

In any event, having spent some time writing documentation for Moodle,
and having been the beneficiary of the work on OpenOffice for quite some
time,  I thought I would offer to help out with documentation.

On 2/25/11 3:32 PM, David Nelson wrote:

> Hi Marc, :-)
>
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 07:38, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I had not planned on offering to write for LibreOffice,  but have been
>> doing some writing for Moodle. However, I was trying to get rid of the
>> footnote separator line in LibreOffice 3.3 when I discovered that the
>> documentation was completely at odds with the application. Is someone
>> needed to delete that section,  or did a menu just get dropped by mikstake?
>
> Could you please explain more explicitly?
>
> David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: volunteering

Hi Marc, :-)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 13:14, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I could not get a functional footnote tab so was concerned that the
> footnote tab functionality had either been deleted accidentally or moved
> and the and documentation had not been updated.
>
> In the interim I have discovered that the issue was that the footnote
> tab simply does not line up with the other tabs so it is easy to miss.

Erm, what software are you talking about, exactly?

> In any event, having spent some time writing documentation for Moodle,
> and having been the beneficiary of the work on OpenOffice for quite some
> time,  I thought I would offer to help out with documentation.

That would be great. Have you an idea of where you'd like to start?

David Nelson

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: volunteering

<snip>
> Erm, what software are you talking about, exactly?
</snip>
I was talking about the dialog in LO 3.3 for chaning the features of the
footnote area...  all the tabs for that dialog are in one row, except
for the footnote tab, which runs across the entire dialog above or below
the other tabs.  The top and bottom row exchange places (something that
has always confused me,  but that is another sorry - lol) depending on
the open dialog. As a result it looked like a title bar, as opposed to a
tab.  Situation resolved.

In any event, I thought I might volunteer to give some thought to the
docs on RegEx as I have been playing with this recently, there seem to
be a number of different versions about (internal versus external to the
app) and it is questionable in my mind as to whether the substitutional
functionality described in the docs actually works (I never could get it
working ;-)  I maintained dragmath at Moodle for a bit and have spent
some time looking at online math solutions so thought I might look at
working on docs for using math editor.

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: volunteering

Hi Marc, :-)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:51, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was talking about the dialog in LO 3.3 for chaning the features of the
> footnote area...  all the tabs for that dialog are in one row, except
> for the footnote tab, which runs across the entire dialog above or below
> the other tabs.  The top and bottom row exchange places (something that
> has always confused me,  but that is another sorry - lol) depending on
> the open dialog. As a result it looked like a title bar, as opposed to a
> tab.  Situation resolved.

My only excuse being that I'm busy doing something right this minute,
I still didn't suss out exactly *which* app you are using. Also, did
you have LibreOffice-specific dialogs activated or deactivated in
Options?

> In any event, I thought I might volunteer to give some thought to the
> docs on RegEx as I have been playing with this recently, there seem to
> be a number of different versions about (internal versus external to the
> app) and it is questionable in my mind as to whether the substitutional
> functionality described in the docs actually works (I never could get it
> working ;-)  I maintained dragmath at Moodle for a bit and have spent
> some time looking at online math solutions so thought I might look at
> working on docs for using math editor.

Nobody has yet started doing any documentation for Math, and your
hands-on experience would be very valuable.

I created a user account for you at http://alfresco.libreoffice.org /
http://documentation.libreoffice.org and mailed you the details plus a
bit of documentation to get you started with Alfresco.

Any work you'd do would be gratefully accepted, and I'll be happy to
give you any assistance you need.

David Nelson

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: volunteering

On Sunday, February 27, 2011, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marc, :-)
>
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:51, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was talking about the dialog in LO 3.3 for chaning the features of the
>> footnote area...  all the tabs for that dialog are in one row, except
>> for the footnote tab, which runs across the entire dialog above or below
>> the other tabs.  The top and bottom row exchange places (something that
>> has always confused me,  but that is another sorry - lol) depending on
>> the open dialog. As a result it looked like a title bar, as opposed to a
>> tab.  Situation resolved.
>
> My only excuse being that I'm busy doing something right this minute,
> I still didn't suss out exactly *which* app you are using. Also, did
> you have LibreOffice-specific dialogs activated or deactivated in
> Options?

He's using LibreOffice. I checked the dialog he was talking about. The
location of the tab he mentions depends on several factors, including
the operating system, the screen resolution, and the screen font size.
This tab behavior occurs in any dialogs that have many tabs.

>> In any event, I thought I might volunteer to give some thought to the
>> docs on RegEx as I have been playing with this recently, there seem to
>> be a number of different versions about (internal versus external to the
>> app) and it is questionable in my mind as to whether the substitutional
>> functionality described in the docs actually works (I never could get it
>> working ;-)  I maintained dragmath at Moodle for a bit and have spent
>> some time looking at online math solutions so thought I might look at
>> working on docs for using math editor.
>
> Nobody has yet started doing any documentation for Math, and your
> hands-on experience would be very valuable.

There is a Math Guide with basic info and a reference list of
commands. If it's not already on the Alfresco site, I'll put it there
tomorrow.

> I created a user account for you at http://alfresco.libreoffice.org /
> http://documentation.libreoffice.org and mailed you the details plus a
> bit of documentation to get you started with Alfresco.
>
> Any work you'd do would be gratefully accepted, and I'll be happy to
> give you any assistance you need.

Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: volunteering

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 16:41 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:

> On Sunday, February 27, 2011, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Marc, :-)
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:51, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I was talking about the dialog in LO 3.3 for chaning the features of the
> >> footnote area...  all the tabs for that dialog are in one row, except
> >> for the footnote tab, which runs across the entire dialog above or below
> >> the other tabs.  The top and bottom row exchange places (something that
> >> has always confused me,  but that is another sorry - lol) depending on
> >> the open dialog. As a result it looked like a title bar, as opposed to a
> >> tab.  Situation resolved.
> >
> > My only excuse being that I'm busy doing something right this minute,
> > I still didn't suss out exactly *which* app you are using. Also, did
> > you have LibreOffice-specific dialogs activated or deactivated in
> > Options?
>
> He's using LibreOffice. I checked the dialog he was talking about. The
> location of the tab he mentions depends on several factors, including
> the operating system, the screen resolution, and the screen font size.
> This tab behavior occurs in any dialogs that have many tabs.

More specifically, he's using Writer, and the dialog mentioned is the
Page Style dialog, which has 8 tabs. AFAIK, the Page, Paragraph,
Character, etc dialogs are not among those affected by the choice of
LibO-specific dialogs.

> >> In any event, I thought I might volunteer to give some thought to the
> >> docs on RegEx as I have been playing with this recently, there seem to
> >> be a number of different versions about (internal versus external to the
> >> app) and it is questionable in my mind as to whether the substitutional
> >> functionality described in the docs actually works (I never could get it
> >> working ;-)  I maintained dragmath at Moodle for a bit and have spent
> >> some time looking at online math solutions so thought I might look at
> >> working on docs for using math editor.
> >
> > Nobody has yet started doing any documentation for Math, and your
> > hands-on experience would be very valuable.
>
> There is a Math Guide with basic info and a reference list of
> commands. If it's not already on the Alfresco site, I'll put it there
> tomorrow.

I can't get into the new Alfresco site, http://alfresco.libreoffice.org/
today. I'm unsure whether I've simply forgotten my password or there's
been a reset or other instructions which I failed to notice, or...??

--Jean

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: volunteering

Hi Jean, :-)

You must have forgotten your password... I'll reset it for you and
mail the new one to you. You'll remember it's password and user name,
not email address...

David Nelson

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: volunteering [Math Guide]

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 16:41 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:

> On Sunday, February 27, 2011, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Marc, :-)
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:51, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> In any event, I thought I might volunteer to give some thought to the
> >> docs on RegEx as I have been playing with this recently, there seem to
> >> be a number of different versions about (internal versus external to the
> >> app) and it is questionable in my mind as to whether the substitutional
> >> functionality described in the docs actually works (I never could get it
> >> working ;-)  I maintained dragmath at Moodle for a bit and have spent
> >> some time looking at online math solutions so thought I might look at
> >> working on docs for using math editor.
> >
> > Nobody has yet started doing any documentation for Math, and your
> > hands-on experience would be very valuable.
>
> There is a Math Guide with basic info and a reference list of
> commands. If it's not already on the Alfresco site, I'll put it there
> tomorrow.

I have now uploaded the OOo3 Math Guide to the Alfresco site. It's under
en > Math > Working > Drafts. It has not been rebranded for LibreOffice,
but it was recently updated for OOo3.3.

--Jean

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: volunteering [Math Guide]

Hi, :-)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:16, Jean Hollis Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have now uploaded the OOo3 Math Guide to the Alfresco site. It's under
> en > Math > Working > Drafts. It has not been rebranded for LibreOffice,
> but it was recently updated for OOo3.3.

Thanks for that, Jean.

David Nelson

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: volunteering [Math Guide]

Thanks David, Jean.

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: volunteering

David,

I am unable to get into alfresco.
Are things stable now? Have all accounts/passwords been resolved.

Hal Parker Hal Parker

Re: volunteering

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Marc Grober <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
>
> I am unable to get into alfresco.
> Are things stable now? Have all accounts/passwords been resolved.

The Alfresco site seems to be working okay, but we need to recreate the user
accounts. I'm supposed to have the permissions to do this, but I don't know
how. (I'm trying to learn.) Also I don't have a list of who had an account
previously, and I don't know if David or anyone else has a list. So the
accounts are getting set up as people ask for them.

Hal

Gukk_Devel Gukk_Devel

Re: volunteering

Am 29.03.2011 23:06, schrieb Hal Parker:

> So the accounts are getting set up as people ask for them.

Hi Hal,
 my account also is gone. I'm working with the German part.

account was karlheinzgodderz

but I would prefer "GuKK_devel" because this is the ID I'm working on
all other platforms with (e.g. ODFAuthors, wiki etc).

Best regards
Karl-Heinz

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: volunteering

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:06:32 +1000
Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Marc Grober <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > I am unable to get into alfresco.
> > Are things stable now? Have all accounts/passwords been resolved.
> >

> The Alfresco site seems to be working okay, but we need to recreate
> the user accounts. I'm supposed to have the permissions to do this,
> but I don't know how. (I'm trying to learn.) Also I don't have a list
> of who had an account previously, and I don't know if David or anyone
> else has a list. So the accounts are getting set up as people ask for
> them.
>
> Hal

Hal, I checked and you've created the users just fine. I am not aware
of a list of users from the first Alfresco implementation.

There was a group for them to be added to in Alfresco 1.0, but I don't
see that group has been created. I also don't see that the workflow
rules have been implemented yet. I was under the impression that David
Nelson and Samphan Raruenrom were working on Alfresco.

David? Samphan? Am I correct in thinking you are working on Alfresco?
Do you need help?

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: volunteering

Hi, :-)

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 00:04, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There was a group for them to be added to in Alfresco 1.0, but I don't
> see that group has been created. I also don't see that the workflow
> rules have been implemented yet. I was under the impression that David
> Nelson and Samphan Raruenrom were working on Alfresco.
>
> David? Samphan? Am I correct in thinking you are working on Alfresco?
> Do you need help?

Jeremy, your help is always welcome. I've been very taken up recently,
but am much free-er now. I did not do much myself about re-creating
workflows because this seemed like a good opportunity to review the
way things were done on the first installation, learning a little from
experience.

I'm currently into reading Alfresco dev documentation, and am thinking
that it would be good for us to try and get people from the Alfresco
project to give us some assistance there.

But if you would like to do work on things yourself, Jeremy, then do
feel free. Samphan has been helping out when requested for a
particular thing, but I know he's been pretty taken up on dev work
connected with the Thai language recently.

David Nelson