Footnote formatting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Eddie Janusz Eddie Janusz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Footnote formatting

I have imported a long document into Writer (from LaTeX via .doc), and
as you can imagine I need to rebuild most of the styles from the ground
up.

The document contains some 300 footnotes. Thankfully, most of them did
convert properly, but I'm left with a persistent formatting problem. In
the footnotes themselves, there is no space between the number and the
text, e.g.

2Tillyard, p. 37
3Ibid.
4Ibid, p. 39

I've learned that the footnote anchor is the indicator in the text:

At least Tillyard has that to say about it.2

I made the Footnote Anchor character style bright red, which did turn
the indicator bright red but didn't affect its "mirror" number
preceding the footnote text.

The number preceding the footnote text appears not to be editable or
selectable. Does anybody know if I can associate a style with the
number, and if so, what is the style called? And if so, can I have the
style put a space after the number?

I hope this is clear. If not, maybe the document has gotten to me: it's
a study of _Paradise Regained_, a narrative poem by John Milton, the
17th-century poet and theologian who had some clarity problems of his
own.

Thanks,

Eddie

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Footnote formatting

Eddie,

Go up to "Tools", "Footnotes and Endnotes" and you can control the
spacing after the Footnote Character from there.

Also, as far as styles are concerned, the number in the footnote itself
is the "Footnote Character" and can be formatted by the character style
of that name.

I'd love to read that paper when you're done. Sounds fascinating.

Virgil


On 08/23/2018 12:02 PM, Eddie Janusz wrote:

> I have imported a long document into Writer (from LaTeX via .doc), and
> as you can imagine I need to rebuild most of the styles from the ground
> up.
>
> The document contains some 300 footnotes. Thankfully, most of them did
> convert properly, but I'm left with a persistent formatting problem. In
> the footnotes themselves, there is no space between the number and the
> text, e.g.
>
> 2Tillyard, p. 37
> 3Ibid.
> 4Ibid, p. 39
>
> I've learned that the footnote anchor is the indicator in the text:
>
> At least Tillyard has that to say about it.2
>
> I made the Footnote Anchor character style bright red, which did turn
> the indicator bright red but didn't affect its "mirror" number
> preceding the footnote text.
>
> The number preceding the footnote text appears not to be editable or
> selectable. Does anybody know if I can associate a style with the
> number, and if so, what is the style called? And if so, can I have the
> style put a space after the number?
>
> I hope this is clear. If not, maybe the document has gotten to me: it's
> a study of _Paradise Regained_, a narrative poem by John Milton, the
> 17th-century poet and theologian who had some clarity problems of his
> own.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eddie
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Eddie-2 Eddie-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Footnote formatting

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 17:55:33 +0000
Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eddie,
>
> Go up to "Tools", "Footnotes and Endnotes" and you can control the
> spacing after the Footnote Character from there.

Hey, that works like a charm! Thanks!

> I'd love to read that paper when you're done. Sounds fascinating.

Certainly. It'll be a few weeks, at least, but I'll reply off list when
it's approaching completion.

Thanks again,

Eddie


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy