Form fields not filled

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

Form fields not filled

I using LibreOffice (version 6.1.2.3) Base as client to a backend
Mariadb10 via MySQL(JDBC) connector.

I have a created a Query in Base of the form SELECT * FROM <tablename>
ORDER BY <Field1> ASC, <Field2> ASC

Why MUST these two sort fields be set to 'visible' in the query (thus
extending the above syntax accordingly), since they are any case part
of the source table? The columns appear twice in the opened query?

I have created a Form based on the above query. However, on filling out
the form for a new record and saving the data, a new record is created
in the table but the data of above two fields remain blank, i.e. are
NOT transferred to the source table. The two fields in the source table
remain blank, whereas all other fields are filled as expected.

Are these two aspects related? Should this be the behaviour? I would
not have expected the data from the two fields to be rejected.

Cheers
Harvey

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Form fields not filled

Le 18/07/2019 à 09:47, Harvey Nimmo a écrit :

Hi Harvey,

> I using LibreOffice (version 6.1.2.3) Base as client to a backend
> Mariadb10 via MySQL(JDBC) connector.
>
> I have a created a Query in Base of the form SELECT * FROM <tablename>
> ORDER BY <Field1> ASC, <Field2> ASC

How did you create this query ? Sounds like you did this via the Query
Designer GUI ?

How is the query being executed ? Via the internal LO SQL parser
(default when executing via Query Designer) or directly via the db
engine (direct SQL button activated) ?

FWIW, there are a few known issues between the MySQL (JDBC) Connector
and a MariaDB backend when used in combination through LO.

Have you tried using the MariaDB JDBC connector instead ?

Alex

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

Re: Form fields not filled

On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 10:48 +0200, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 18/07/2019 à 09:47, Harvey Nimmo a écrit :
>
> Hi Harvey,
>
> > I using LibreOffice (version 6.1.2.3) Base as client to a backend
> > Mariadb10 via MySQL(JDBC) connector.
> >
> > I have a created a Query in Base of the form SELECT * FROM
> > <tablename>
> > ORDER BY <Field1> ASC, <Field2> ASC
> >

> How did you create this query ? Sounds like you did this via the
> Query
> Designer GUI ?
>
> How is the query being executed ? Via the internal LO SQL parser
> (default when executing via Query Designer) or directly via the db
> engine (direct SQL button activated) ?
>
> FWIW, there are a few known issues between the MySQL (JDBC) Connector
> and a MariaDB backend when used in combination through LO.
>
> Have you tried using the MariaDB JDBC connector instead ?
>

> Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, I created the query via the Base GUI. The query is called up by
Data control of the form.

OpenSUSE provides only the ODBC connector for mariadb, no JDBC
connector.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers
Harvey

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

Re: Form fields not filled

On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 10:48 +0200, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 18/07/2019 à 09:47, Harvey Nimmo a écrit :
>
> Hi Harvey,
>
> > I using LibreOffice (version 6.1.2.3) Base as client to a backend
> > Mariadb10 via MySQL(JDBC) connector.
> >
> > I have a created a Query in Base of the form SELECT * FROM
> > <tablename>
> > ORDER BY <Field1> ASC, <Field2> ASC
> >

> How did you create this query ? Sounds like you did this via the
> Query
> Designer GUI ?
>
> How is the query being executed ? Via the internal LO SQL parser
> (default when executing via Query Designer) or directly via the db
> engine (direct SQL button activated) ?
>
> FWIW, there are a few known issues between the MySQL (JDBC) Connector
> and a MariaDB backend when used in combination through LO.
>
> Have you tried using the MariaDB JDBC connector instead ?
>

> Alex

Hi Alex,

things have become a bit clearer now.

Yes, I created the query via the Base GUI. The query is called up by
Data control of the form.

OpenSUSE provides only the ODBC connector for mariadb, no JDBC
connector.

It is the behaviour of the GUI query editor that got me confused.

With the GUI query editor, I copied the entire table as <tablename>.*
into the query fields. I followed up by adding two of the table fields
to the query and selected 'ascending' for sorting for each of these 2
fields. I noticed then, that I could not deselect the 'Visible' flags
for these 2 sort fields. Why on earth not? The behaviour means that the
 2 fields will each now appear twice when running the query. No wonder
then that the Form based on this query did not transfer the data from
those fields back to the table. It could not cope with the ambiguity

On inspecting the SQL text of the query, I was expecting a query of the
kind:
SELECT * FROM <tablename> ORDER BY <Field1> ASC, <Field2> ASC

What I saw was:

SELECT * <tablename>.*, <tablename>.<Field1>, <tablename>.<Field2> FROM

After deleting the text ', <tablename>.<Field1>, <tablename>.<Field2>'
from the SQL query, the extra fields were not displayed on running the
query. But on saving the query again, the deleted text was added again,
and it's back to square one.

Is this a bug? It can't be right, that the 'Visible' flags of the extra
fields cannot be deselected. Obviously, the corresponding SQL queries,
with or without the flags are different giving different query results,
but the GUI behaviour forces only the one variant. Also, surely,
'hidden' behaviour, as happens to the SQL text by just saving the GUI
query without any changes must always be wrong.

Fortunately, I have the workaround of removing the sort fields from the
GUI query and adding them to the form.

Cheers
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Form fields not filled

Hi Harvey,

> OpenSUSE provides only the ODBC connector for mariadb, no JDBC
> connector.

I'm using only JDBC with OpenSUSE. You have to dowload it directly from
MariaDB

> What I saw was:
>
> SELECT * <tablename>.*, <tablename>.<Field1>, <tablename>.<Field2> FROM
>
> After deleting the text ', <tablename>.<Field1>, <tablename>.<Field2>'
> from the SQL query, the extra fields were not displayed on running the
> query. But on saving the query again, the deleted text was added again,
> and it's back to square one.
>
> Is this a bug?

Yes, it is a buggy behaviour of the editor. Have tested this: Created a
query for MariaDB, tried to set a field to "unvisible", which should
only be used to sort the query, but it doesen't work.
The behaviour is the same in the internal Firebird database, but it will
work right with internal HSQLDB.

Would your report the bug? I will confirm it.

Regards

Robert

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

Re: Form fields not filled

On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 16:53 +0200, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> Hi Harvey,
> >
> > OpenSUSE provides only the ODBC connector for mariadb, no JDBC
> > connector.
>
> I'm using only JDBC with OpenSUSE. You have to dowload it directly
> from
> MariaDB
> >
> > What I saw was:
> >
> > SELECT * <tablename>.*, <tablename>.<Field1>, <tablename>.<Field2>
> > FROM
> > ASC
> >
> > After deleting the text ', <tablename>.<Field1>,
> > <tablename>.<Field2>'
> > from the SQL query, the extra fields were not displayed on running
> > the
> > query. But on saving the query again, the deleted text was added
> > again,
> > and it's back to square one.
> >
> > Is this a bug?
>
> Yes, it is a buggy behaviour of the editor. Have tested this: Created
> query for MariaDB, tried to set a field to "unvisible", which should
> only be used to sort the query, but it doesen't work.
> The behaviour is the same in the internal Firebird database, but it
> will
> work right with internal HSQLDB.
>
> Would your report the bug? I will confirm it.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

Bugzilla? What is the link?

Cheers
Harvey

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Form fields not filled

Hi Harvey,

> Bugzilla? What is the link?

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/

You could add an attachment with internal Firebird database. Query-GUI
will show the same behaviour as in MariaDB.

Regards

Robert

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

Re: Form fields not filled

On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 21:14 +0200, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> Hi Harvey,
> > >

> > Bugzilla? What is the link?
>
> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/
>
> You could add an attachment with internal Firebird database. Query-
> GUI
> will show the same behaviour as in MariaDB.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

Bug 126468 submitted.
By an internal Firebird database, do you mean a Base database on
localhost? I have attached nothing.

Regards
Harvey