Formula and text in same cell?

pda123 pda123

Formula and text in same cell?

Hello all,In a cell,let's say A1, there's a formula such as =DayNum(Z1,
        Z3).  I'd like to also put text in the same cell. How can this be done?Thanks,Carl
Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Formula and text in same cell?

At 20:04 20/11/2017 -0500, Dotty Carl wrote:
>In a cell, let's say A1, ...

I don't see that matters ...

>... there's a formula such as =DayNum(Z1, Z3). I'd like to also put
>text in the same cell.

So what do you want to have displayed in that cell? Any formula
defines what is displayed. What would be the function of the additional text?

>How can this be done?

If you need a function reference, as here, but want the displayed
result to contain additional material, you need to include that
material inside the formula containing the function. You can
concatenate text with a function result using the CONCATENATE()
function, or more simply using the "&" operator. Any non-text value,
such as a number, is implicitly converted to text to enable this. For example,
=SQRT(3+1)
displays
2
whereas
="The square root of 3+1 is "&SQRT(3+1)&"."
displays
The square root of 3+1 is 2.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

JOE CONNER JOE CONNER

Re: Formula and text in same cell?

Would insert -> comment be of help?

--
********************************
A smile - is a sign of joy.

Blessings, Joe Conner
Joshua 24:15 "...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Formula and text in same cell?

Greetings,
You can also create a custom number format to place text around the
value if you only want to show a single value. For example, you can
assign this number format to a cell:
"Jane bought "0" apples."
If you then set the value of the cell to 2, the cell will display:
Jane bought 2 apples.
And then even if the cell shows a text string, it remains a number that
can be used as reference in another formula. Brian's suggestion (that I
must confess use quite often) will "convert" the value to text and
cannot be used for calculations but can handle an unlimited number of
different values to be displayed in the same cell, like in his example.
I hope this helps.
Rémy Gauthier.