Forums - A Different Question

12 « Prev
Pieter E. Zanstra Pieter E. Zanstra

Re: Forums - A Different Question

Om the basis of the discussions going on at this list, I do share your
analysis as expressed in:
http://daedaleus.isaachummel.com/2011/05/01/whither-openoffice/

But I wonder/doubt if the view "the LibreOffice community is mired in
excessive open source zeal and geek elitism" also applies to the developers
who do the real work.

Pieter

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

New technical home for http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/?? (was: Re: Forums - A Different Question)

Hi NoOp, *,

NoOp schrieb:
> On 04/30/2011 01:56 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Harold Fuchs wrote:

>>> Has Oracle given permission for TDF to use its forum, or doesn't
>>> TDF need such permission? Does TDF *want* to use an Oracle
>>> resource?

>> I think Drew has already explained this on multiple mailing lists,
>> anyway: the forums at http://user.services.openoffice.org/ are run
>> by community members and not by Oracle, they explicitly include
>> LibreOffice among the supported software (see page header),

sounds great..

>> they can be used with no need for permissions from Oracle, and they
>> are probably the best place where LibreOffice users can get support
>> if they don't like mailing lists.

[..]

> Sorry, but I'd have to disagree...
> http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use
> The resources are owned and operated by Oracle.

might be it's worth thinking to offer that resource a new (technical)
home free of fear regarding continuation of the infrastucture?? ;o))

[..]

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: New technical home for http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/?? (was: Re: Forums - A Different Question)

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 17:48 +0200, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

> Hi NoOp, *,
>
> NoOp schrieb:

> >> I think Drew has already explained this on multiple mailing lists,
> >> anyway: the forums at http://user.services.openoffice.org/ are run
> >> by community members and not by Oracle, they explicitly include
> >> LibreOffice among the supported software (see page header),
>
> sounds great..
>
> >> they can be used with no need for permissions from Oracle, and they
> >> are probably the best place where LibreOffice users can get support
> >> if they don't like mailing lists.
>
> [..]
>
> > Sorry, but I'd have to disagree...
> > http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use
> > The resources are owned and operated by Oracle.
>
> might be it's worth thinking to offer that resource a new (technical)
> home free of fear regarding continuation of the infrastucture?? ;o))

Howdy,

My honest take (working assumption) is that as long as Oracle is
supporting the main OO.o website they would support the forums, by
continuing the hosting gratis. If the first changes, then who knows - I
am certain of this, from knowing the group of people at the forums, it
wouldn't go away, there would be an appropriate home found.

Best wishes,

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Isaac Hummel-2 Isaac Hummel-2

On 05/03/2011 05:35 AM, Pieter E. Zanstra wrote:
> Om the basis of the discussions going on at this list, I do share your
> analysis as expressed in:
> http://daedaleus.isaachummel.com/2011/05/01/whither-openoffice/
>
> But I wonder/doubt if the view "the LibreOffice community is mired in
> excessive open source zeal and geek elitism" also applies to the developers
> who do the real work.
Fair enough. I put LibreOffice on my mother's Windows 7 laptop and she
has nothing but praise for it.

--
Isaac Hummel
[hidden email]

nabbler nabbler

Re: Forums - A Different Question

>Subject: RE: [tdf-discuss] Re: Forums - A Different Question
>From: "Pieter E. Zanstra" <[hidden email]>
>Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 11:35:39 +0200
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Om the basis of the discussions going on at this list, I do share your
>analysis as expressed in:
>http://daedaleus.isaachummel.com/2011/05/01/whither-openoffice/
>
>But I wonder/doubt if the view "the LibreOffice community is mired in
>excessive open source zeal and geek elitism" also applies to the developers
>who do the real work.

Reading the web site, disagree with its content, having become more of
a fan of mailing lists than forum web sites. The recommendation to
refer those who prefer web forums is sensible; although why no
reference to oooforums.org? The world is big enough for more than one
open source office software, as well as methods of users seeking
support.

Long live the mailing list(s)..!

NoOp NoOp

On 05/03/2011 02:17 AM, Manfred Usselmann wrote:

> On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:49:53 -0700
> NoOp...
>> Sorry, but I'd have to disagree...
>> http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use
>> The resources are owned and operated by Oracle.
>
> It's no contraction that the resource is made available by Oracle and
> the forum is run by community members as stated by Drew.
>
> Didn't Oracle anyhow recently announce that OpenOffice.org will become
> a pure community project?

And that justifies continuing to use Oracle resources how?

>> Whilst http://user.services.openoffice.org may (currently) tolerate LO
>> posts,
>
> No, they don't just tolerate it, they explicitly support LibrOffice
> posts:
>
> "User community support forum for OpenOffice.org, StarOffice, NeoOffice
> and LibreOffice"

True. But again, that justifies continuing to use Oracle resources how?

LibreOffice is a branch from OOo just as go-oo and associated linux
distributions that used the go-oo packages were. A continued issue on
the OOo user list was determining if a linux user was using a standard
OOo, or if they were using linux distribution variant. A great deal of
OOo list user time was determining if the poster was using a go-oo
variant, and then redirecting them to their linux specific support
facilities (ex: launchpad for Ubuntu OOo).

LibreOffice (IMO) should 'man up' and either provide resources for their
own forums, or as an interim just state that currently there are no such
LO forums available. Or support:
http://libreofficeforum.org/ or similar.

I find it embarassing that LO continue use/abuse the Oracle/OOo
resources; y'all are big boys that branched off of OOo... right?

Let's review:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/
<quote>
It is an independent self-governing meritocratic Foundation, created by
leading members of the OpenOffice.org Community.
</quote>
http://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/
<quote>
Our Mission
Our mission is to facilitate the evolution of the OpenOffice.org
Community into a new open, independent, and meritocratic organizational
structure within the next few months. An independent Foundation is a
better match to the values of our contributors, users, and supporters,
and will enable a more effective, efficient, transparent, and inclusive
Community. We will protect past investments by building on the solid
achievements of our first decade, encourage wide participation in the
Community, and co-ordinate activity across the Community.
</quote>

On 05/03/2011 10:17 PM, NoOp wrote:

> True. But again, that justifies continuing to use Oracle resources how?
>
> LibreOffice is a branch from OOo just as go-oo and associated linux
> distributions that used the go-oo packages were. A continued issue on
> the OOo user list was determining if a linux user was using a standard
> OOo, or if they were using linux distribution variant. A great deal of
> OOo list user time was determining if the poster was using a go-oo
> variant, and then redirecting them to their linux specific support
> facilities (ex: launchpad for Ubuntu OOo).
>
> LibreOffice (IMO) should 'man up' and either provide resources for their
> own forums, or as an interim just state that currently there are no such
> LO forums available. Or support:
> http://libreofficeforum.org/ or similar.

I absolutely, 100% support LO setting up its own forum, or at least
throwing support behind the unofficial LibreOffice forum you mention.
But linking to the community-driven official OpenOffice forum is better
than doing nothing. Going to an Oracle-sponsored site does not make one
ceremonially unclean, nor does linking to it. Not linking to the
resources that are out there while declining to provide resources of
ones own is more "embarrassing" than linking to the community-run Oracle
OpenOffice forums.

--
Isaac Hummel
[hidden email]

Augustine Souza Augustine Souza

Re: Forums - A Different Question

Resources?
Stop with the dehumanizing.
They are human beings  @ user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum and
totally helpful.

On 05/04/2011 12:46 PM, Augustine Souza wrote:
> Resources?
> Stop with the dehumanizing.
> They are human beings  @ user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum and
> totally helpful.

Don't be silly. Of course I meant the forums themselves when I said
"resources", not the people on them. Hence my also referring to the
hypothetical forums that LibreOffice doesn't provide as resources.

--
Isaac Hummel
[hidden email]