French blog creation

William Gathoye William Gathoye

French blog creation

Hello everyone,

Following a discussion led on our French telegram group with the rest of
the French community (sophi, Arnaud, Regis and Philippe), we discussed
the ability to have a French blog hosted at
http://fr.blog.documentfoundation.org
<http://fr.blog.documentfoundation.org/>.

Like the Spanish and German communities, we would like to have such a
blog were the French community could:

 1. Showcase their work (e.g. the forthcoming French hackfest)
 2. But also advertise the translated literal versions of the official
    TDF blog posts + new release announcements previously translated on
    the announce@fr ML.

I commit to translate them on time each time Italo will post a draft to
the priv ML list. Regis and Arnaud are willing to proof read before
submission.

Having a French blog will definitely be a great enhancement from a
marketing point of view:

 1. Tweets on the LibreOfficeFR twitter account won't link to the
    English version anymore. This is a great improvement for the French
    speaking community not used to speak/read in English. Tweets that
    were linking to the English posts counterparts hadn't much audience
    anyway. The French blog will improve this.
 2. We will make sure to use the Twitter Cards/Open Graph features
    available in the TDF blog that only Mike is using from now. If Italo
    could use it as well when he is writing blog posts, this would be
    nice to have :) I can have a TeamViewer session with him if he wants
    to get introduced :)

William Gathoye
<[hidden email]>

Guilhem Moulin Guilhem Moulin

Re: French blog creation

Hi,

On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 17:16:27 +0200, William Gathoye wrote:
> Following a discussion led on our French telegram group with the rest of
> the French community (sophi, Arnaud, Regis and Philippe), we discussed
> the ability to have a French blog hosted at
> http://fr.blog.documentfoundation.org .

Could you take care about this from the Wordpress side of things, Italo?
I'll fix the remaining bits (where privileged access to the host is
needed, namely X.509 chain and cronjobs) afterwards.

Guilhem.

William Gathoye William Gathoye

Re: French blog creation

Thanks for your answer Guilhem,

Wrt. to WordPress, how does this happen in practice at TDF?

Do you create a new Wordpress blog independent from the others (tdf, de,
es), or do you inherit from the same Wordpress instance?

I just wanted to know if we are allowed to have design customizations or
even a new design for French :)

My additional intention with this blog was to have an avant-guardist
instance/pre-prod WordPress instance where new UI/UX and website
improvements could be tested (with changes being developed by myself
with the help of others from the French community).

Thank for you help,

On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 20:33:02 +0200, William Gathoye wrote:
> Do you create a new Wordpress blog independent from the others (tdf, de,
> es), or do you inherit from the same Wordpress instance?

We have a single WordPress instance with multiple sites.

> I just wanted to know if we are allowed to have design customizations or
> even a new design for French :)

Dunno, I guess Italo knows more about subsite admin rights and the
limitations of having a single instance.  But I see there are small
differences between the styles of the different sites so I guess it's
possible to customize it to some extent:

    https://blog.documentfoundation.org/
    https://es.blog.documentfoundation.org/
    https://qa.blog.documentfoundation.org/
    https://de.blog.documentfoundation.org/

--
Guilhem.

On 23/05/2019 14:50, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> I will take care of the blog creation, but as I am currently in Tokyo
> with hotel connectivity this may take a few days. We do not have strong
> guidelines, apart from the request that the blog cannot disrupt the
> network installation (for instance, localized themes have to be child of
> the same theme in English because updates may disrupt language choices
> in themes but not in child themes). In general a network installation is
> not as flexible as a normal one, as conflicts may propagate from one
> blog to the other
Super ! Waiting for your guidance/next steps over here :)

Our purpose is to have it set up before the LibreOffice HackFest in
Paris so that we can take the opportunity to announce the French blog :)

William Gathoye
<[hidden email]>