Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

slacka slacka

Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

This issue has come up before here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Error-building-Visual-Studio-2013-project-file-for-LibreOffice-on-Windows-td4140307.html#a4140315

and more recently here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Recommended-build-instructions-td4193014.html#a4193568

With no clear resolution.

Over a years ago, I know that a LODE install could successfully generate VS files. Since then I reinstalled Win 10 and now get the  "make[1]: *** [cmd] Error 127" when I try to run vs2013-ide-integration.  Frustrated by not being able to use the IDE, today I tried a fresh install of Win 10, VS 2013 and LODE on a VM.  And again get:

$ C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make vs2013-ide-integration
cd C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/dev/core && (LC_MESSAGES=C C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make cmd="C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make -npf Makefile.gbuild all" cmd || true) | C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/dev/core/bin/gbuild-to-ide --ide vs2013
make[1]: *** [cmd] Error 127
Solution LibreOffice:
Successfully created the project files.

Has anyone other than Ashod been able to get the IDE integration recently working recently?  What might be different about my environment that's causing it to fail for me?

One suggestion was to keep trying several times. Today, I tried over 6 times with my clean install before giving up.

The other suggestion was to use an old version of make. Could someone please share the version of make that works for them on Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive?
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard

Re: Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

Hey Luke,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Luke Benes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Did you do a build before calling make vs2013-ide-integration?

Regards,
Markus

slacka slacka

Re: Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

Yes, I had a successful build with LODE's default autogen.input="--enable-debug". After it finished, I ran './instdir/program/soffice.exe' to make sure everything was actually working. It seemed fine. So I tried several runs of 'C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make vs2013-ide-integration'. I also tried rebooting my VM and removing the 'LibreOffice.sln' file.

This is on the same computer that ide integration used to work every time. Could it be related to the switch from Win 7 to Win 10? Or is it more likely that LODE pulls a different version of make (or some other file) now than it did when ide integration was working?
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

I use the gbuild-to-ide script regular, without problems. BUT it has severe limitations, it will not (and has never) made a visual studio project that you can actually build.

This script (make vs2013-ide-integration) and LODE are 2 cups of coffee, that has nothing to do with each other. LODE is primarily made to support the buildbots, and then got popular as an easy way to install LO development.

The main problem with the visual integration is that you need a successful build first, and then you can run the script.

There is a ongoing project to enhance the script, and patches are welcome

rgds
jan I.

> On 03 Oct 2016, at 21:50, Luke Benes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This issue has come up before here:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Error-building-Visual-Studio-2013-project-file-for-LibreOffice-on-Windows-td4140307.html#a4140315
>
> and more recently here:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Recommended-build-instructions-td4193014.html#a4193568
>
> With no clear resolution.
>
> Over a years ago, I know that a LODE install could successfully generate VS files. Since then I reinstalled Win 10 and now get the  "make[1]: *** [cmd] Error 127" when I try to run vs2013-ide-integration.  Frustrated by not being able to use the IDE, today I tried a fresh install of Win 10, VS 2013 and LODE on a VM.  And again get:
>
> $ C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make vs2013-ide-integration
> cd C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/dev/core && (LC_MESSAGES=C C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make cmd="C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/opt/bin/make -npf Makefile.gbuild all" cmd || true) | C:/cygwin/home/luke/lode/dev/core/bin/gbuild-to-ide --ide vs2013
> make[1]: *** [cmd] Error 127
> Solution LibreOffice:
> Successfully created the project files.
>

> Has anyone other than Ashod been able to get the IDE integration recently working recently?  What might be different about my environment that's causing it to fail for me?
>
> One suggestion was to keep trying several times. Today, I tried over 6 times with my clean install before giving up.
>
> The other suggestion was to use an old version of make. Could someone please share the version of make that works for them on Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive?
Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 07:46:05AM +0200, Jan Iversen wrote:
> I use the gbuild-to-ide script regular, without problems. BUT it has severe
> limitations, it will not (and has never) made a visual studio project that
> you can actually build.
> [...]
> There is a ongoing project to enhance the script, and patches are welcome

The main trouble with all these IDE integrations seems that the output of "make
-np" on which it depends is not as stable between versions of make as
originally expected by that naive guy who did the initial implementation. Thus
the parser of that is both more fragile and more complex as it should be by now.

I have a half-finished patch that will make make write out how it intends to
build stuff in small (json) text files. Parsing _that_ should be really trivial
and not fragile. Also it might make possible creating:

1/ the possiblity of creating a IDE integration without a full build
2/ the possiblity to create MS Build solutions for some (non-special) targets,
   thus building like MSVS would.

However, for the most part, I dont think 2/ is a good idea anyway as:

a/ It would be an addition scenario to support, which is a pain
b/ we arent getting rid of needing cygwin with this anyway, so why bother?
c/ the hard part is in all the special casing and nasty custom logic, which is
   e.g. in scp2/ still -- not building a general C++ library.

So as long as scp2/ is still around, we shouldnt venture into 2/: As usual with
gbuild, the hard part is not building the new stuff, but cleaning up the old.

Best,

Bjoern

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 11:26:05AM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

> The main trouble with all these IDE integrations seems that the output of "make
> -np" on which it depends is not as stable between versions of make as
> originally expected by that naive guy who did the initial implementation. Thus
> the parser of that is both more fragile and more complex as it should be by now.
>
> I have a half-finished patch that will make make write out how it intends to
> build stuff in small (json) text files. Parsing _that_ should be really trivial
> and not fragile. Also it might make possible creating:
>
> 1/ the possiblity of creating a IDE integration without a full build
> 2/ the possiblity to create MS Build solutions for some (non-special) targets,
>    thus building like MSVS would.

Half of this, the "export from gbuild" part, is done now:

 https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=f2061f85bf4d3d005668c3192589f0d242a49a36

It should be rather trivial to read that from gbuildtoide like the Pythontest
does. If anyone wants to other fun stuff with it, feel free. Now that the base
is there, extending this should be trvial.

Best,

Bjoern
Miklos Vajna-4 Miklos Vajna-4

Re: Fresh install of Win 10 + LODE + vs2013-ide-integration = Error 127

Hi Bjoern,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:25:23AM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Half of this, the "export from gbuild" part, is done now:
>
>  https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=f2061f85bf4d3d005668c3192589f0d242a49a36
>
> It should be rather trivial to read that from gbuildtoide like the Pythontest
> does. If anyone wants to other fun stuff with it, feel free. Now that the base
> is there, extending this should be trvial.

As far as I understand, the 3 most used gbuild objects that contain c++
files are Library, Executable and CppunitTest. If I see correctly, the
$ide-ide-integration target takes care of Library and Executable
(ignoring CppunitTest); while this newer json export even ignores
Executables.

Would it be possible to add Executables and CppunitTests for this newer
json export? I've tried to look at this, but I didn't get far, possible
due to my weak make-fu. ;-)

(The type inspection provided by vim-ide-integration is really helpful
sometimes, and it hurts a bit that it's not available when working on
unit tests, especially when I spend half of my time there. :-) )

Thanks,

Miklos

slacka slacka

Has anyone else got this working yet with LODE + vs2013? Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to do a fresh LODE install?
Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

call for testing: gbuild-ide-integration reimplementation

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 11:26:05AM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> I have a half-finished patch that will make make write out how it intends to
> build stuff in small (json) text files. Parsing _that_ should be really trivial
> and not fragile. Also it might make possible creating:
>
> 1/ the possiblity of creating a IDE integration without a full build

So in:

 https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/31175/

I switched gbuild-to-ide to use gbuildtojson. With that you should now be able
to do from a fresh install:

- ./autogen.sh
- make {kdevelop,vim,vs2013,whatever}-ide-integration

and have the project files generated. So with this:

 - you do NOT need a finished build before creating projects anymore
 - its ~seven times faster than the old stuff on my machine
 - it should be more stable and not regress by GNU make updates and the like

I tested the kdevelop integretion, which works fine. If you use any of the
other IDEs, please test these here and scream loadly if this breaks things in
the next 48 hours. If I hear nothing, I would merge this.

As said above, this does not need a full build to generate projects, so there
is an option to e.g. have an option in LODE that does the default "1/ download
source 2/ configure 3/ create project files" steps right away -- as especially
on Windows, developers feel more at home with kicking of a build right from the
IDE[1] and not on the console. So something like:

 ./setup --vs2013-projects

doing the same as:

 ./setup --dev
 cd dev/core && ./autogen.sh
 cd dev/core && make vs2013-ide-integration

Allowing a newcomer so jump directly from LODE to their most beloved IDE.

Best,

Bjoern

[1] Not to say, less errorprone as folks do ... interesting ... mistakes when
    they are not acustomed to use a shell.
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: call for testing: gbuild-ide-integration reimplementation

> I tested the kdevelop integretion, which works fine. If you use any of the
> other IDEs, please test these here and scream loadly if this breaks things in
> the next 48 hours. If I hear nothing, I would merge this.

I am testing currently with Xcode, and will finish that over the weekend.

Currently it seems workdir outside core gives problems, but as I said currently testing.

> As said above, this does not need a full build to generate projects, so there
> is an option to e.g. have an option in LODE that does the default "1/ download
> source 2/ configure 3/ create project files" steps right away -- as especially
> on Windows, developers feel more at home with kicking of a build right from the
> IDE[1] and not on the console. So something like:
>
> ./setup --vs2013-projects
>
> doing the same as:
>
> ./setup --dev
> cd dev/core && ./autogen.sh
> cd dev/core && make vs2013-ide-integration

Sounds like a good ide(a)

rgds
jan I.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: call for testing: gbuild-ide-integration reimplementation

Le 25/11/2016 à 10:58, Bjoern Michaelsen a écrit :
Hi,

> - ./autogen.sh
> - make {kdevelop,vim,vs2013,whatever}-ide-integration

I tried :

make xcode-ide-integration

after make clean, pull -r, and ./autogen.sh

and get the following error :

env: python3 : no such file or directory
No rule to make target 'cmd'. Stop.

Alex

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:58:56AM +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I switched gbuild-to-ide to use gbuildtojson. With that you should now be able
> to do from a fresh install:
>
> - ./autogen.sh
> - make {kdevelop,vim,vs2013,whatever}-ide-integration
>
> and have the project files generated. So with this:
>
>  - you do NOT need a finished build before creating projects anymore
>  - its ~seven times faster than the old stuff on my machine
>  - it should be more stable and not regress by GNU make updates and the like
>
> I tested the kdevelop integretion, which works fine. If you use any of the
> other IDEs, please test these here and scream loadly if this breaks things in
> the next 48 hours. If I hear nothing, I would merge this.
Eh, I'm afraid I missed that deadline. ;-)

So after this went in, writerfilter/ entries in compile_commands.json
(generated by vim-ide-integration) are now missing, which is a pain
point for me, as I do touch that module regularly.

Do you remember what was the reason to blacklist that module? Can that
be fixed in some way? The "you do NOT need a finished build before
creating projects anymore" part isn't really a selling point to me, as I
always do "make check && make vim-ide-integration" after pulling.

Thanks,

Miklos

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:09:02AM +0100, Miklos Vajna wrote:
> Do you remember what was the reason to blacklist that module? Can that be fixed in some way?

Nope, a local test seems to work fine now, so it might have been fixed
collaterally already (I did not recheck all blacklisted modules after each fix)[1].

If CI is happy with it you should be able to just merge this:

 https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/31310/

Best,

Bjoern

[1] The simple way to check if a module can be removed from the blacklist:
    1/ remove the module from the blacklist in solenv/gbuild/extensions/post_GbuildToJson.mk
    2/ cd $BLACKLISTED_MODULE && make gbuildtojson
    3/ if it completes without weird errors or trying to build something for
       real it should be good. It it tries to build something, that is bad as
       gbuildtojson breaks dependencies, so it possibly creates corrupted targets.
    4/ (Check CI/other platforms yadda yadda)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:58:40AM +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nope, a local test seems to work fine now, so it might have been fixed
> collaterally already (I did not recheck all blacklisted modules after each fix)[1].
>
> If CI is happy with it you should be able to just merge this:
>
>  https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/31310/

That was quick, thanks! :-)

Regards,

Miklos