Fw: [libreoffice-marketing] Open standards and UK gov use of odf

Tom Tom

Fw: [libreoffice-marketing] Open standards and UK gov use of odf

--- On Fri, 30/3/12, Ian Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

It seems Microsoft is lobbying the UK Cabinet office for OOXML in place of
odf
http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/public-sector/2012/03/microsoft-redeploys-ooxml-in-o.html

Anyone that has a point of view can respond to the consultation at
http://consultation.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/openstandards/how-to-respond/

The more that state odf is the choice if we want proper open standards the
better so please publicise on relevant lists.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: Fw: [libreoffice-marketing] Open standards and UK gov use of odf

Am 30.03.2012 12:28, Tom Davies wrote:

> --- On Fri, 30/3/12, Ian Lynch<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
> It seems Microsoft is lobbying the UK Cabinet office for OOXML in place of
> odf
> http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/public-sector/2012/03/microsoft-redeploys-ooxml-in-o.html
>
> Anyone that has a point of view can respond to the consultation at
> http://consultation.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/openstandards/how-to-respond/
>
> The more that state odf is the choice if we want proper open standards the
> better so please publicise on relevant lists.

Who cares? OOXML is a standard and I've heard of some compatible
freeware. I think it was named Liber Office or something ...

Tom Tom

Re: Fw: [libreoffice-marketing] Open standards and UK gov use of odf

Hi Andreas :)
This seems to be a somewhat inconsistent message from you.  I thought you wanted people to be allowed to use ODF formats?

nabbler nabbler

On 31/03/2012, Andreas Säger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 30.03.2012 12:28, Tom Davies wrote:
>>

>> --- On Fri, 30/3/12, Ian Lynch<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> It seems Microsoft is lobbying the UK Cabinet office for OOXML in place of
>> odf
>> http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/public-sector/2012/03/microsoft-redeploys-ooxml-in-o.html
>>
>> Anyone that has a point of view can respond to the consultation at
>> http://consultation.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/openstandards/how-to-respond/
>>
>> The more that state odf is the choice if we want proper open standards the
>> better so please publicise on relevant lists.
>
> Who cares? OOXML is a standard and I've heard of some compatible
> freeware. I think it was named Liber Office or something ...

Nice irony. :)

The consultation document itself was created using LO34, yet
classified with the government organisation as a "word template"! This
proves the strategic fallacy of using LO as an m$ clone to create m$
documents. As long as users are encouraged to create m$ documents
using LO, m$ will remain dominant.

Am 31.03.2012 20:19, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi Andreas :)
> This seems to be a somewhat inconsistent message from you.  I thought you wanted people to be allowed to use ODF formats?
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Meanwhile I find amusing how you do not read other people's statements.
However, it is a major annoyance that not reading does not prevent you
to reply anyway.

Michael Adams-2 Michael Adams-2

Re: Fw: [libreoffice-marketing] Open standards and UK gov use of odf

On Sunday 01 April 2012 01:58, Andreas Säger wrote:
[snip]
> > The more that state odf is the choice if we want proper open
> > standards the better so please publicise on relevant lists.
>
> Who cares? OOXML is a standard and I've heard of some compatible
> freeware. I think it was named Liber Office or something ...

LOL. OOXML is a double standard that even Microsoft can not yet
deliver on. Office 2007 and Office 2010 both use the deprecated
transitional version.

Any OOXML document found in the wild is most probably an orphan.

--
Michael