Fwd: AI in Microsoft Office

Keith Curtis Keith Curtis

Fwd: AI in Microsoft Office

Hi all,

I came across a Microsoft AI video that I thought was interesting and
food for thought here. The link shows the demo of AI features in
Office: https://youtu.be/H_X1ZuM6ZJU?t=1h12m27s

It shows an auto-designer, a better grammar checker, Intranet search
and easy copy/paste, nice pen gestures, and analysis of spreadsheets
(trends and outliers). He also references some other AI-powered
features (quickstarter, researcher, my analytics, ink to math, ink to
shape, math assistant)

There's been a lot of progress in deep learning in the last few years.
It is arguably overkill in many situations, but there are a lot of
people working on it, and they are making continuous breakthroughs.
There are some powerful Python libraries to consider integrating
better into LibreOffice (perhaps via extensions) such as scikit-learn,
nltk, PyTorch and Keras. There are C/C++ machine learning libraries
that could be worth putting into LibreOffice also, and perhaps it has
some already with the Calc solver.

It would be interesting to see a Deep Lightproof or other interesting
machine learning features one day. I tried to get the Java-based
Language Tool working on my machine and didn't manage, and it made
LibreOffice stutter, and the UI was tiny / unreadable, etc. I don't
know if anyone has talked to them about the benefits of Python ;-)

Regards,

-Keith

Keith Curtis Keith Curtis

Re: Fwd: AI in Microsoft Office

I recently discovered that the Turing Institute is supposed to become the
UK's national research laboratory for AI. I've also seen they are supporters
of FOSS. Perhaps people in that Institute (or others) could be convinced to
do some practical research projects in LibreOffice. They have interest in
natural language and other topics that apply:
https://www.turing.ac.uk/category/research/research-interests/

Someone told me there was hype around AI and that might be true, but neural
networks are giving better results in the most difficult tasks:
https://karpathy.github.io/2015/05/21/rnn-effectiveness/

Here's a history of ImageNet:
https://qz.com/1034972/the-data-that-changed-the-direction-of-ai-research-and-possibly-the-world/
It makes the point that good data is at the center of AI.

A deep lightproof could remain a small amount of code, but it needs curated
datasets to train on. It seems overkill for a grammar checker to use a
neural network. However, it could be worth thinking of a grammar checker as
a set of language rules compiled from a standard corpus.

Perhaps one decides to start by building something conventional using
http://www.nltk.org/ would be a great place to start. Python is becoming the
language of data science so LibreOffice is well positioned. Free software
like LibreOffice is a great way for researchers to test out ideas and help
millions of people.

Let's make sure LibreOffice and the free desktop stay relevant and
competitive!

Regards,

-Keith

--