Fwd: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page

Dave Johnson Dave Johnson

Fwd: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page

Dave Johnson, USNFR
[hidden email]
6195496830
http://www.davefilms.us
(619) 335-5314

"Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/"

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dave Johnson <[hidden email]>
> Date: December 25, 2010 6:53:07 PM CST
> To: Dave Johnson <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page
>
> Can anyone direct me to some official DVD labels in SVG format for LibO? Otherwise I will have to make my own. My official DVD release date is just after the LibO 3.3.0 date mid Jan 2011.
> Dave Johnson, USNFR
> [hidden email]
> 6195496830
> http://www.davefilms.us
> (619) 335-5314
>
> "Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/"
>
> On Dec 25, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Dave Johnson wrote:
>
>> Just FYI... The DVD will be professionally manufactured with a color printed face and printed insert.
>>
>> http://www.libreofficedvd.info/
>>
>> Comments are welcome. BTW a video advert will explain the benefits of LibO.
>>
>> Dave Johnson, USNFR
>> [hidden email]
>> 6195496830
>> http://www.davefilms.us
>> (619) 335-5314
>>
>> "Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/"

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Fwd: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Dave Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just FYI... The DVD will be professionally manufactured with a color printed face and printed insert.

Dave,
I didn't realise that the Marketing team had assigned an official DVD
distributor. Congratulations if this is the case.

I know there was discussion about this a few months ago on the
marketing list, and I know that we are creating and selling the
documentation through a not for profit organisation based in
Australia.
How much will the DVD be selling for, and what percentage of any
profit will be contributed back to The Document Foundation?

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

Dave Johnson Dave Johnson

Re: Fwd: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page

I am not officialy sanctioned. I am selling at cost and $1.50 per unit
donation to the TDF.

Dave Johnson

wrote:
>>> Just FYI... The D...
Dave,
I didn't realise that the Marketing team had assigned an official DVD
distributor. Congratulations if this is the case.

I know there was discussion about this a few months ago on the
marketing list, and I know that we are creating and selling the
documentation through a not for profit organisation based in
Australia.
How much will the DVD be selling for, and what percentage of any
profit will be contributed back to The Document Foundation?

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

Tom Tom

Re: Fwd: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page

Our competitors are selling their product for about $50 per unit and many people
would say that by selling for less we are saying our product is worth that much
less.  Their logic is that if product A costs $50 then it is worth $50 and if
product B sells at $5 then product A is 'obviously' the better product.

Selling the product for $1.25 is insultingly low and really says the product is
not really worth buying at all!

The Free Software Foundation is not against people selling or profiting from
Free/OpenSource software.  The GPL is not against it either.  The caveat is that
when the product is sold (or even given away) the potential recipient is given
the address of where they can get a copy of the Source Code.  Personally i would
tend to go further and give them the address of where they can download the
product for free.

When selling the product it would be ideal if the 'vendor' could keep a fair
profit in addition to covering costs.  How else are we going to get established
distribution networks to sell the product?  If established retailers are never
going to sell the product then what other distribution networks are we going to
use?  Perhaps we should rely on drug-dealers or some similar dodgy-looking
network to take care of pushing our product for us!

Yes, ideally some of that money would go back into TDF but at the very least
some needs to cover the costs, including time & effort, storage and all the rest
of the costs that people don't notice when they are committed to to fighting for
a good cause.

I would say $5 or even $10 is about right, or £5 or £10 in the Uk.  It is just
enough to make people realise that it is a legitimate product without being as
much as the market would be willing to spend if they realised how good the
product is.

________________________________

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Dave Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not officialy sanctioned. I am selling at cost and $1.50 per unit
> donation to the TDF.
>
> Dave Johnson

Dave,
That sounds fantastic, Maybe you should propose to the marketing list
that you become a recognised official distributor.
Also it might be good to include a brochure for purchasers/customers
to donate to The Document Foundation.

Can I suggest that you contact [hidden email] in order for
them to start designing official disk labelling and cover/box design.

I will be purchasing one as soon as LibreOffice 3.3 is released.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Fwd: LibO DVD fulfillment web-page

Le 2010-12-26 09:27, Tom Davies a écrit :

Hi Tom:

> Our competitors are selling their product for about $50 per unit and many people
> would say that by selling for less we are saying our product is worth that much
> less.  Their logic is that if product A costs $50 then it is worth $50 and if
> product B sells at $5 then product A is 'obviously' the better product.
>
> Selling the product for $1.25 is insultingly low and really says the product is
> not really worth buying at all!
>
> The Free Software Foundation is not against people selling or profiting from
> Free/OpenSource software.  The GPL is not against it either.  The caveat is that
> when the product is sold (or even given away) the potential recipient is given
> the address of where they can get a copy of the Source Code.  Personally i would
> tend to go further and give them the address of where they can download the
> product for free.
>
> When selling the product it would be ideal if the 'vendor' could keep a fair
> profit in addition to covering costs.  How else are we going to get established
> distribution networks to sell the product?  If established retailers are never
> going to sell the product then what other distribution networks are we going to
> use?  Perhaps we should rely on drug-dealers or some similar dodgy-looking
> network to take care of pushing our product for us!
>
> Yes, ideally some of that money would go back into TDF but at the very least
> some needs to cover the costs, including time&  effort, storage and all the rest
> of the costs that people don't notice when they are committed to to fighting for
> a good cause.
>
> I would say $5 or even $10 is about right, or £5 or £10 in the Uk.  It is just
> enough to make people realise that it is a legitimate product without being as
> much as the market would be willing to spend if they realised how good the
> product is.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

I also agree with this. We should at least cover the cost of S/H as well
as work some profit into the sale. Some of the profit should go back to
the TDF but the profit could also be added to the use of the machines to
copy which will also need to be replaced at some point ... sort of an
amortization cost for the hardware.

As Tom points out, there is also the look of software legitimacy. I can
see a low sell cost if there are multiple DVD requests from one
particular individual or of special circumstances where a low sell point
is establish to "seed" a particular region on the map or for some kind
of financial concern for a particular group or region.

BTW ... there is a thread on the German list re: a DVD design. Jens has
proposed a design and it can be found here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:JeHa. The thread can also be
found here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.discuss.german/1441.
I like the design for its simplicity and it will also look nice using
Lightscribe for burning the DVD label.

BTW ... there is a wiki page for DVD suppliers and this can also be
found here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.discuss.german/1441
  If anyone is interested in becoming (unofficially) a supplier, feel
free to add your name to the list. I believe that the official list will
be establish later on after discussion.

Marc