Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

FYI, team.
I replied: "Yes, I think that is an excellent idea. What should I do,
just follow the instructions on that page?"

--Jean

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

Hi :)
Fantastic! :)  Yes, i think the same price as is charged at Lulu to keep it fair?

Hmmm, Lulu do physical printed books and deal with postage&packing whereas i think the Ubuntu App's Store is just downloadable and not printed?  If so then i don't know what would be a good price.

I would like to see some of that money eventually go upstream to TDF main, some back to Ubuntu as a "thank you" and some to DistroWatch so that they can continue their excellent coverage of huge range of distros with less to worry about.  I think DW would notice and appreciate even something like $50/month.  It might be tactically good to buy some advertising space on their website so that people can click from there to buy the guides from Lulu.  The Ubuntu Apps store might get the team more revenue but it would be good to support DW too imo.

I replied: "Yes, I think that is an excellent idea. What should I do,
just follow the instructions on that page?"

--Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

You are correct. We use Lulu for selling printed books; they deal with
all the packing and posting. (One can sell PDFs through Lulu, but we
don't.) The Ubuntu Apps Store is for downloadable PDFs (and possibly
other eBook formats; I haven't checked). I'm inclined to take Bjoern's
suggestion and charge the minimum, US$2.99. Of this (or any other
price we set), the Ubuntu store takes 20%, so that takes care of your
suggestion of some going back to Ubuntu.

What is DistroWatch?

--Jean

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> Fantastic! :)  Yes, i think the same price as is charged at Lulu to keep it fair?
>
> Hmmm, Lulu do physical printed books and deal with postage&packing whereas i think the Ubuntu App's Store is just downloadable and not printed?  If so then i don't know what would be a good price.
>
> I would like to see some of that money eventually go upstream to TDF main, some back to Ubuntu as a "thank you" and some to DistroWatch so that they can continue their excellent coverage of huge range of distros with less to worry about.  I think DW would notice and appreciate even something like $50/month.  It might be tactically good to buy some advertising space on their website so that people can click from there to buy the guides from Lulu.  The Ubuntu Apps store might get the team more revenue but it would be good to support DW too imo.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

eskroni eskroni

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

Hi Jean, all,

DistroWatch is a website, that gathers information about all available
Linux Distributions.
They have news about the different distributions (like when they
publish a new version, or
if a new distribution is created, ....) they have also some reviews
about the distributions,
and, they are most famous for their distributions ranking.

http://distrowatch.com/

Sigrid

Tom Tom

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

Hi :)
Yes, it gives a page of info per distro listing some of the apps.  A good example is the Pardus page (a Turkish distro)
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus
If you scroll down you see the top-table shows which "Office Suite" the distro uses.  Then further down it gives the version number.

If you check the release dates you might work out that Pardus was about the 1st distro to include LO as it's default office suite.

DW has a weekly magazine type thing and this week they had a follow-up review of Calligra, some news about Debain, Debian-documentation, the UDS summit, and a review of a not-so-scary  BSD distro.

DW is a great way of getting a good overview of the activity going on across almost all the Gnu&Linux, Gnu&Hurd and BSD distros out there.

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

Their advertising rates are quite expensive, and to be honest I don't
see why we as the LO Docs team should be contributing to them, good as
they are.

--Jean

Tom Tom

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store

Hi :)
Ahhh, i didn't realise they charged a lot.  I kinda assumed they under-charged.  So, i agree about not advertising with them.
Apols and regards from
Tom :)

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are correct. We use Lulu for selling printed books; they deal with
> all the packing and posting. (One can sell PDFs through Lulu, but we
> don't.) The Ubuntu Apps Store is for downloadable PDFs (and possibly
> other eBook formats; I haven't checked). I'm inclined to take Bjoern's
> suggestion and charge the minimum, US$2.99. Of this (or any other
> price we set), the Ubuntu store takes 20%, so that takes care of your
> suggestion of some going back to Ubuntu.

Just to keep people informed, I have submitted the Getting Started and
Writer Guide books for LO 3.4 to the Ubuntu Apps Store. Will submit
the Draw Guide when I have time.

--Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You are correct. We use Lulu for selling printed books; they deal with
>> all the packing and posting. (One can sell PDFs through Lulu, but we
>> don't.) The Ubuntu Apps Store is for downloadable PDFs (and possibly
>> other eBook formats; I haven't checked). I'm inclined to take Bjoern's
>> suggestion and charge the minimum, US$2.99. Of this (or any other
>> price we set), the Ubuntu store takes 20%, so that takes care of your
>> suggestion of some going back to Ubuntu.
>

> Just to keep people informed, I have submitted the Getting Started and
> Writer Guide books for LO 3.4 to the Ubuntu Apps Store. Will submit
> the Draw Guide when I have time.
>
> --Jean

And I'll let you know when they have been accepted and are live on the
Apps Store.

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Re: Fwd: LibreOffice Guide in the Ubuntu App Store