Fwd: Re: [libreoffice-users] can I make Libre default to save as .rtf

doug-2 doug-2

Fwd: Re: [libreoffice-users] can I make Libre default to save as .rtf

See below.

Doug:

I open the RTF in Word on both the Mac and the PC. It worked fine on the
PC. I will try it on Mac next and let you know.

Bob

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM, doug <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Hi, Bob--

    I'm forwarding this to you for your information.  I've asked the LO
    forum how
    to make LibreOffice default to saving in rtf, and this was one of
    the answers.
    (LibreOffice defaults to saving in .odf unless you tell it
    otherwise.  I asked the
    forum how to change this default.  They sent back instructions.)

    My question to you:  When I send you back a file in rtf format, do you
    open it on the PC or on the Mac?  I assume you open the file with MS
    Word.
    If that is not the case, please let me know.  I intend to let the LO
    people know
    our experience with rtf, as the writer, below, asked.

    --doug

Re: Fwd: Re: [libreoffice-users] can I make Libre default to save as .rtf typo correction

On 11/23/2011 01:22 AM, doug wrote:

/snip/

> I work with Bob on a Newsletter (I'm the editor) and we exchange
> text files in rtf regularly.  Until recently, LO, and OO before it,
> had an
> occasional problem with text formatting, but the latest version LO
> that I  have--3.4.4-- works very nicely.  Bob told me later by landline
> that he could open the rtf file I sent him on the Mac in ApplyWorks,
> as well as the Mac version of Word.
> ^^^^^^^

/snip/

That should be "Appleworks"

> Thank you all for your assistance!  --doug

Pedro Pedro

Re: Fwd: Re: [libreoffice-users] can I make Libre default to save as .rtf

Hi Doug

Thank you for your update post.

This is what the true spirit of community is all about.

You have a problem, you ask for help on a forum (mailing list, whatever) of people who give their best to help you based on their experience, you use one or some of the answers to solve your problem and then you contribute back  by reporting how you solved it.

More people should understand the importance of reporting back : other people may benefit from your problem and solution in the future; people who helped feel good and motivated to help other people.

Thank you in the name of this community.
Tom Tom

Re: Fwd: Re: [libreoffice-users] can I make Libre default to save as .rtf

This post was updated on .
Hi :)

This link might be the most useful for Bob
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/can-I-make-Libre-default-to-save-as-rtf-td3527035.html
It shows all the emails to the question you asked.

We all have different requirements, experiences and blind-spots.  Forums and lists can be good for seeing a range of different options.

I started doing a newsletter recently too and we found that Word (using it's native formats) was too limiting about the way it treats images.  Writer was better but it was only when we stopped trying to use MS formats and started again from scratch that we found we could really do what we liked with regard to placing pictures, logos, etc and also it was much easier to make those pictures and some of the text "clickable" for our on-line versions.  On-line we only show the Pdfs and again LO gave us more options than Word to help us reach one of our target markets better.  Blind or partially-sighted should hopefully find their screen-readers can cope with our newsletter more easily now.   If you only use text then rtf is as good as any.

"What's best" depends on such a large variety of variables that were not covered in the original question that it is difficult to cover everything.  Support (in LO) for Rtf is likely to improve considerably now that MS have stopped moving the target.  Sadly it is also likely that MSO will drop support for Rtf over the next few years.

Just my 2 lots of 2cents