GS4205 Calc

JohnSmith JohnSmith

GS4205 Calc

Hi
I've gone over this chapter and added text and screen shots for the
Sidebar. The screen shots may need replacing with ones taken in the OS,
or not used at all, that the others are taken in.
There are a number of errors which need to be checked and agreed by the
original reviewer, Martin?, Peter? These are all commented. There are
also some queries, left in comments, which should be assessed, and
finally the odd suggestion, which can be taken up or rejected as is seen
fit.
The file has been placed back into the Drafts folder here;
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc/view

Regards
JohnS

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: GS4205 Calc

Hello John,

I'll take a look at replacing screen shots and reviewing the chapter later.

Thanks,

Martin

On 27/03/14 17:21, John Smith wrote:

> Hi
> I've gone over this chapter and added text and screen shots for the
> Sidebar. The screen shots may need replacing with ones taken in the
> OS, or not used at all, that the others are taken in.
> There are a number of errors which need to be checked and agreed by
> the original reviewer, Martin?, Peter? These are all commented. There
> are also some queries, left in comments, which should be assessed, and
> finally the odd suggestion, which can be taken up or rejected as is
> seen fit.
> The file has been placed back into the Drafts folder here;
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc/view
>

> Regards
> JohnS

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: GS4205 Calc

I'm having a look at this now and will put it back soon so Martin can
replace screenshots as needed. I'll let you know. --Jean

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> I'll take a look at replacing screen shots and reviewing the chapter later.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin
>

> On 27/03/14 17:21, John Smith wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I've gone over this chapter and added text and screen shots for the
>> Sidebar. The screen shots may need replacing with ones taken in the OS, or
>> not used at all, that the others are taken in.
>> There are a number of errors which need to be checked and agreed by the
>> original reviewer, Martin?, Peter? These are all commented. There are also
>> some queries, left in comments, which should be assessed, and finally the
>> odd suggestion, which can be taken up or rejected as is seen fit.
>> The file has been placed back into the Drafts folder here;
>>
>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc/view
>>
>> Regards
>> JohnS

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: GS4205 Calc

I've put it here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc-1/view

--Jean

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having a look at this now and will put it back soon so Martin can
> replace screenshots as needed. I'll let you know. --Jean
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello John,
>>
>> I'll take a look at replacing screen shots and reviewing the chapter later.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On 27/03/14 17:21, John Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> I've gone over this chapter and added text and screen shots for the
>>> Sidebar. The screen shots may need replacing with ones taken in the OS, or
>>> not used at all, that the others are taken in.
>>> There are a number of errors which need to be checked and agreed by the
>>> original reviewer, Martin?, Peter? These are all commented. There are also
>>> some queries, left in comments, which should be assessed, and finally the
>>> odd suggestion, which can be taken up or rejected as is seen fit.
>>> The file has been placed back into the Drafts folder here;
>>>
>>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc/view
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JohnS

>> deleted

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: GS4205 Calc

Just seen this; I'll replace screenshots tomorrow.

Regards,

Martin

On 02/04/14 11:55, Jean Weber wrote:

> I've put it here:
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc-1/view
>
> --Jean
>

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm having a look at this now and will put it back soon so Martin can
>> replace screenshots as needed. I'll let you know. --Jean
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello John,
>>>
>>> I'll take a look at replacing screen shots and reviewing the chapter later.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Martin

>>> --
>>> deleted

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: GS4205 Calc

Hi Martin
Just had another look at this chapter out of curiosity and I see you've
replied to a comment I left, regarding a cell's content changing
immediately when the formatting is changed, from say, a number to text.
I have 4.2.3.1 on WinXP and I've just tried this again. The format does
not change until new data is entered into the reformatted cell. This
looks like a definite bug in light of your comment reply.
Would you redo the text in the guide to reflect what you're getting
instead of the text I wrote there?
I'll raise a bug report for this and submit it.
Thanks.
Regards
JohnS
On 02/04/2014 21:43, Martin Saffron wrote:

> Just seen this; I'll replace screenshots tomorrow.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 02/04/14 11:55, Jean Weber wrote:
>> I've put it here:
>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc-1/view
>>

>> --Jean
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm having a look at this now and will put it back soon so Martin can
>>> replace screenshots as needed. I'll let you know. --Jean

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: GS4205 Calc

Hi again.
I've had an almost instant resolution to this bug report from Eike
Rathke, who I believe is one of the chief developers with regards to Calc.
He responds;

Applying a cell format NEVER changes existing cell content. On purpose.

He classes it as 'Resolved' and 'Not A Bug'. So here's the quandary, if
it's doing it on your system, then it appears to be a bug related to
your OS. It's possible I may not have phrased the bug report too well
and it's been misunderstood, even though I included a spreadsheet
attachment with the report illustrating what was happening. So I don't
think this is likely to be the case.
Would you mind having a look at the bug report <77025> and see what you
think? If I've not screwed it up and the behaviour is as described by
you in the comment reply in the chapter, would you mind raising a bug
report yourself?
I hate to let these things just slide.

Regards
JohnS