GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Hello,

Milos has pointed out a couple of minor corrections that could be made
to the chapter I uploaded yesterday.  One of these is the fact that the
chapter contains what seems to be an entirely superfluous macro
(Standard > Format > FixDocV3 macro).

The macro was present in the LO4.0 version of the chapter and I opted
not to remove it since I was unsure of its purpose.  Can anybody shed
any light on this?  I'm happy to remove it and re-upload an edited draft
if it serves no purpose.

I may have a little time later so will see if I am able to replace
inconsistent screen captures in the GS4203 and GS4210 files from the
feedback folder.

Regards

Martin

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Milos has pointed out a couple of minor corrections that could be made to
> the chapter I uploaded yesterday.  One of these is the fact that the chapter
> contains what seems to be an entirely superfluous macro (Standard > Format >
> FixDocV3 macro).
>
> The macro was present in the LO4.0 version of the chapter and I opted not to
> remove it since I was unsure of its purpose.  Can anybody shed any light on
> this?  I'm happy to remove it and re-upload an edited draft if it serves no
> purpose.
>
> I may have a little time later so will see if I am able to replace
> inconsistent screen captures in the GS4203 and GS4210 files from the
> feedback folder.

I suspect it's left over from some cleanup someone else did long ago.
If it's still in the edited file I just uploaded, please go ahead and
remove it at the same time you make other needed changes. Thanks!

--Jean

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Hi
That macro was required, if for some reason, when the template had been
changed, you elected to not update the document on opening. The option
to update was not offered when opening the document again and in order
to then update to the changed template, you needed to run the macro.

Regards
JohnS
On 03/04/2014 05:01, Jean Weber wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Milos has pointed out a couple of minor corrections that could be made to
>> the chapter I uploaded yesterday.  One of these is the fact that the chapter
>> contains what seems to be an entirely superfluous macro (Standard > Format >
>> FixDocV3 macro).
>>
>> The macro was present in the LO4.0 version of the chapter and I opted not to
>> remove it since I was unsure of its purpose.  Can anybody shed any light on
>> this?  I'm happy to remove it and re-upload an edited draft if it serves no
>> purpose.
>>
>> I may have a little time later so will see if I am able to replace
>> inconsistent screen captures in the GS4203 and GS4210 files from the
>> feedback folder.
> I suspect it's left over from some cleanup someone else did long ago.
> If it's still in the edited file I just uploaded, please go ahead and
> remove it at the same time you make other needed changes. Thanks!
>
> --Jean

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Hello,

Ah, I see.  In that case, I won't remove it.  I'll take a look at that
chapter again at the weekend (and will take a closer look at GS4212).

Regarding chapter 5, I've replaced screenshots from the 29Mar draft of
GS4205 and uploaded it to the feedback folder:

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo4.2/gs4-2-ch-5-getting-started-with-calc/view

Regards,

Martin

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Hi
Sorry, I should have said, that it can be removed ok with no negative
effects. It is entered manually in order to use it, it's not an embedded
one.

Regards
JohnS
On 03/04/2014 18:42, Martin Saffron wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ah, I see.  In that case, I won't remove it.  I'll take a look at that
> chapter again at the weekend (and will take a closer look at GS4212).
>
> Regarding chapter 5, I've replaced screenshots from the 29Mar draft of
> GS4205 and uploaded it to the feedback folder:
>
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo4.2/gs4-2-ch-5-getting-started-with-calc/view
>

> Regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 03/04/14 18:14, John Smith wrote:
>> Hi
>> That macro was required, if for some reason, when the template had
>> been changed, you elected to not update the document on opening. The
>> option to update was not offered when opening the document again and
>> in order to then update to the changed template, you needed to run
>> the macro.
>>
>> Regards
>> JohnS
>> On 03/04/2014 05:01, Jean Weber wrote:

>>> I suspect it's left over from some cleanup someone else did long ago.
>>> If it's still in the edited file I just uploaded, please go ahead and
>>> remove it at the same time you make other needed changes. Thanks!
>>>
>>> --Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

And AFAIK, that macro no longer works, so I am removing it wherever it
appears.

--Jean

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Hi
That macro worked OK in v4.0. I remember you leaving me a comment in the
Writer guide, where it is explained, asking me to verify it.
That doesn't mean of course, that it can't be removed now.

Regards
JohnS
On 03/04/2014 22:19, Jean Weber wrote:

> And AFAIK, that macro no longer works, so I am removing it wherever it
> appears.
>
> --Jean
>
> On Friday, April 4, 2014, John Smith <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>     Sorry, I should have said, that it can be removed ok with no
>     negative effects. It is entered manually in order to use it, it's
>     not an embedded one.
>
>     Regards
>     JohnS
>     On 03/04/2014 18:42, Martin Saffron wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         Ah, I see.  In that case, I won't remove it.  I'll take a look
>         at that chapter again at the weekend (and will take a closer
>         look at GS4212).
>
>         Regarding chapter 5, I've replaced screenshots from the 29Mar
>         draft of GS4205 and uploaded it to the feedback folder:
>
>         http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo4.2/gs4-2-ch-5-getting-started-with-calc/view
>

>         Regards,
>
>         Martin
>
>         On 03/04/14 18:14, John Smith wrote:
>
>             Hi
>             That macro was required, if for some reason, when the
>             template had been changed, you elected to not update the
>             document on opening. The option to update was not offered
>             when opening the document again and in order to then
>             update to the changed template, you needed to run the macro.
>
>             Regards
>             JohnS
>             On 03/04/2014 05:01, Jean Weber wrote:
>
>                 On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Martin Saffron
>                 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                     Hello,
>
>                     Milos has pointed out a couple of minor
>                     corrections that could be made to
>                     the chapter I uploaded yesterday.  One of these is
>                     the fact that the chapter
>                     contains what seems to be an entirely superfluous
>                     macro (Standard > Format >
>                     FixDocV3 macro).
>
>                     The macro was present in the LO4.0 version of the
>                     chapter and I opted not to
>                     remove it since I was unsure of its purpose.  Can
>                     anybody shed any light on
>                     this?  I'm happy to remove it and re-upload an
>                     edited draft if it serves no
>                     purpose.
>
>                     I may have a little time later so will see if I am
>                     able to replace
>                     inconsistent screen captures in the GS4203 and
>                     GS4210 files from the
>                     feedback folder.
>
>                 I suspect it's left over from some cleanup someone
>                 else did long ago.
>                 If it's still in the edited file I just uploaded,
>                 please go ahead and
>                 remove it at the same time you make other needed
>                 changes. Thanks!
>
>                 --Jean
>

>     --
>     All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and
>     cannot be deleted

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: GS4209 - Getting Started With Math

Bruce Byfield said it didn't work for him in v4.2, but I haven't tried
it myself.

--Jean