[GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
eszka eszka
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

My work this week:
* I integrated my dialog with FileDialogHelper. Now RemoteFilesDialog
could be executed using the same command like normal file picker,
filters are added depending on context.
* bug 84190 - user wasn't able to change password after failed
authorization.
* bug 83089 - Cannot select location in properties dialogue
* I added support of opening multiple files
* some small improvements

Now I'm working on async operations. In this dialog it could be useful
to cancel current action, because sometimes opening remote directory is
very slow (connection to the cmis.alfresco.com/cmisatom takes > 30s,
which is default timeout in async mode). User should have possibility to
stop this process, for example after selecting any service by mistake
without waiting. Timeout also shouldn't be too short, because it may be
insufficient (like 30s for alfresco example).

To do:
* async operations
* implement support of context bits
* open/save remote buttons on toolbars

Regards,
Szymon

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Cedric Bosdonnat-5 Cedric Bosdonnat-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

On Fri, 2015-07-03 at 20:00 +0200, Szymon Kłos wrote:

> My work this week:
> * I integrated my dialog with FileDialogHelper. Now RemoteFilesDialog
> could be executed using the same command like normal file picker,
> filters are added depending on context.
> * bug 84190 - user wasn't able to change password after failed
> authorization.
> * bug 83089 - Cannot select location in properties dialogue
> * I added support of opening multiple files
> * some small improvements
>
> Now I'm working on async operations. In this dialog it could be useful
> to cancel current action, because sometimes opening remote directory is
> very slow (connection to the cmis.alfresco.com/cmisatom takes > 30s,
> which is default timeout in async mode). User should have possibility to
> stop this process, for example after selecting any service by mistake
> without waiting. Timeout also shouldn't be too short, because it may be
> insufficient (like 30s for alfresco example).
>
> To do:
> * async operations

To get full async support you'll need to implement async API functions
in libcmis, which may be quite a big project. This could be something to
keep for the end of GSoC if you have some time left for it: better get
the dialog working and be slow rather than having nothing ready at the
end of the term.

--
Cedric

> * implement support of context bits
> * open/save remote buttons on toolbars
>
> Regards,
> Szymon
>


_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

In reply to this post by eszka
Hi Szymon,

Szymon Kłos píše v Pá 03. 07. 2015 v 20:00 +0200:

> To do:
> * async operations
> * implement support of context bits
> * open/save remote buttons on toolbars

Thanks so much for your great work!

I wonder - you still work in the branch; how would you feel about
integrating it now to master, and continue in a rebased branch?

I fear there will be many conflicts to sort out, the development is
rapid as always :-) - so the later we do that, the harder it is.

All the best,
Kendy

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Cedric Bosdonnat-5 Cedric Bosdonnat-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

In reply to this post by eszka
Hey Szymon,

Just for you to know it, I'll be off Monday and Tuesday due to public
holiday in France. You can try to reach me via email if you need, though
I don't know whether I'll be able to answer quickly.

--
Cedric

On Fri, 2015-07-03 at 20:00 +0200, Szymon Kłos wrote:

> My work this week:
> * I integrated my dialog with FileDialogHelper. Now RemoteFilesDialog
> could be executed using the same command like normal file picker,
> filters are added depending on context.
> * bug 84190 - user wasn't able to change password after failed
> authorization.
> * bug 83089 - Cannot select location in properties dialogue
> * I added support of opening multiple files
> * some small improvements
>
> Now I'm working on async operations. In this dialog it could be useful
> to cancel current action, because sometimes opening remote directory is
> very slow (connection to the cmis.alfresco.com/cmisatom takes > 30s,
> which is default timeout in async mode). User should have possibility to
> stop this process, for example after selecting any service by mistake
> without waiting. Timeout also shouldn't be too short, because it may be
> insufficient (like 30s for alfresco example).
>
> To do:
> * async operations
> * implement support of context bits
> * open/save remote buttons on toolbars
>
> Regards,
> Szymon
>


_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
eszka eszka
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

In reply to this post by Jan Holesovsky-4
Hi Kendy,

Dnia 2015-07-10, pią o godzinie 13:03 +0200, Jan Holesovsky pisze:
> I wonder - you still work in the branch; how would you feel about
> integrating it now to master, and continue in a rebased branch?
>
> I fear there will be many conflicts to sort out, the development is
> rapid as always :-) - so the later we do that, the harder it is.

I think this is a good moment, considering that I completed most of work
needed by my dialog.

Regards,
Szymon

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

Hi Szymon,

Szymon Kłos píše v Pá 10. 07. 2015 v 21:16 +0200:

> I think this is a good moment, considering that I completed most of work
> needed by my dialog.

And I see this has happened - great stuff, thank you! :-)

It works pretty well for me, only few UX comments:

* when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
  "Add service" dialog should open directly

* when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
  be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
  should be given that some user action is expected first

* [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] should we have a "Reload"
  button in the "Open Remote" dialog?  Where, if yes?

* in the "Open Remote", some kind of feedback "something is happening"
  is necessary in when reading the list of files from the remote

* "Label:" in the "Add service" dialog should pre-file according to the
  user name; like when the user name is 'johndoe', and the service is
  GDrive, the Label: should pre-file with "Johndoe's GDrive" or
  something (with the possibility to change this by the user if he/she
  wants)

* opening file from the recent documents in the start center asks for
  the user name (would be good to remember that or have that as part of
  the URL it remembers), and then does not open the file - only the busy
  mouse pointer keeps rolling

* [to be discussed within the UX/Design team] should we merge the Save
  and Save As buttons now, to have a split button there - Save as the
  default action, and the Save As File... and Save Remote File... in the
  submenu?

* "Remote File" submenu for Save As should be renamed to "Save Remote
  File..." to give more idea what's going on

* no "Save Remote File..." submenu in the LibreOffice Impress and Draw

I am sorry if this feedback comes too early, and all this is actually on
your todo :-)  Either way - great stuff, love the work done so far!

All the best,
Kendy

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS –Weekly report #6

Can we get a screenshot? Or is it implemented in the nightlies?

Am 20.07.2015 08:32:49, schrieb Jan Holesovsky:
* [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] ....

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Cedric Bosdonnat-5 Cedric Bosdonnat-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS –Weekly report #6

On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 07:06 +0000, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Can we get a screenshot? Or is it implemented in the nightlies?

It looks like the daily build are fresh enough to include Szymon's
patches. Have a go at them, if it's still not included, then it'll come
someday soon.

--
Cedric

> Am 20.07.2015 08:32:49, schrieb Jan Holesovsky:
>         * [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] ....


_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
eszka eszka
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS –Weekly report #6

In reply to this post by Heiko Tietze
Dnia 2015-07-20, pon o godzinie 07:06 +0000, Heiko Tietze pisze:
> Can we get a screenshot? Or is it implemented in the nightlies?
>
> Am 20.07.2015 08:32:49, schrieb Jan Holesovsky:
>         * [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] ....

Some screenshots are available here:
http://eszkadev.blogspot.com/2015/07/gsoc-15-remote-files-dialog.html

Szymon

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

In reply to this post by Jan Holesovsky-4
On Monday 20 July 2015, 08:32:49 Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> * when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
>   "Add service" dialog should open directly
I wouldn't do so. It's pretty clear that no service has been configured.
 
> * when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
>   be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
>   should be given that some user action is expected first
+1 for showing the list of files
(currently the list is updated when an item from the service dropdown is
selected)

> * [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] should we have a "Reload"
>   button in the "Open Remote" dialog?  Where, if yes?
No, because there is no reload in any open dialog. If you want to update the
local files you have to change the directory (likely depending of the OS).
Should be the same here.
 
> * in the "Open Remote", some kind of feedback "something is happening"
>   is necessary in when reading the list of files from the remote
Yes, a throbber or even better progress bar makes sense here.

> * "Label:" in the "Add service" dialog should pre-file according to the
>   user name; like when the user name is 'johndoe', and the service is
>   GDrive, the Label: should pre-file with "Johndoe's GDrive" or
>   something (with the possibility to change this by the user if he/she
>   wants)
Would be a nice-to-have. But...

+ WebDAV, last entries
I have to enter a user name but below not the password but the service label.
Users like me might not read the label and enter password here. Since the
authentification dialog asks again for the user name we could drop it perhaps.
Otherwise the label should get a different position or a separator.

> * opening file from the recent documents in the start center asks for
>   the user name (would be good to remember that or have that as part of
>   the URL it remembers), and then does not open the file - only the busy
>   mouse pointer keeps rolling
I started from Writer>Recent  documents: Remote and after the first dialog
with user name and password I wasn't asked again (edit: but after restart). As
well at the start center.

> * [to be discussed within the UX/Design team] should we merge the Save
>   and Save As buttons now, to have a split button there - Save as the
>   default action, and the Save As File... and Save Remote File... in the
>   submenu?
Isn't it the same problem as for Open?The better solution is to call save
'Save remotely' - what it does actually right now.
BTW: Save works but 'Save as' gives me a 'The folder contents could not be
displayed. Operation not supported' error message. Guess it comes from an
undefined local place (I'm on Linux/KDE). Question here is whether we should
'save as' locally (/home/<user>; c:\users\<name>\Documents; /Users/<name>) or
remotely with a different name.

> * "Remote File" submenu for Save As should be renamed to "Save Remote
>   File..." to give more idea what's going on
Currently 'Save as' works locally. But we could rename Save to 'Save
remotely'.

> * no "Save Remote File..." submenu in the LibreOffice Impress and Draw

 
+ dialog width restriction is too conservative
I'd like to resize it somewhat smaller to have it in a 4:3 dimension. But
that's not possible due to minimum width of ~800px.

+ 'add/delete service' should be disabled when no service is selected
Both menu entries are enabled even when no service has been defined.

+ preselection of file type depending on app
Filter is set to 'all files' but could adopted to the running app such as
presentations in case of Impress.

+ menu
Users might not look for remote files at the recent files menu. However I have
no idea how to solve this problem. 'Open...' and the default open dialog
should stay as it is. And another menu entry on the top level doesn't reflect
the low relevance of CMIS for the average user.

+ speed
At least WebDAV is slow to an unusable extend.

+ info/app title
Might be good to know that a document is opened remotely. I suggest to add
this info to the title, like 'Foo.odt (Remote) - LibreofficeDev Writer'.

> I am sorry if this feedback comes too early, and all this is actually on
> your todo :-)  Either way - great stuff, love the work done so far!
+1 Impressive progress!
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
eszka eszka
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

Dnia 2015-07-23, czw o godzinie 12:15 +0200, Heiko Tietze pisze:
> On Monday 20 July 2015, 08:32:49 Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> > * when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
> >   "Add service" dialog should open directly
> I wouldn't do so. It's pretty clear that no service has been configured.

I've already implemented this and rest of kendy's proposals (not marked
as 'to be discussed') :) I will push my changes to the master branch
then you will be able to try it.

> > * when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
> >   be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
> >   should be given that some user action is expected first
> +1 for showing the list of files
> (currently the list is updated when an item from the service dropdown is
> selected)

Most of services needs authorization, so first the login box appears and
then files will be shown (if password isn't remembered). Problem I have
is: if password is no needed, dialog will appear only after getting
files from remote server. During this time LO is not responsive.

> > * in the "Open Remote", some kind of feedback "something is happening"
> >   is necessary in when reading the list of files from the remote
> Yes, a throbber or even better progress bar makes sense here.

When something is happening, mouse pointer is changed to 'Wait' status.
I can add also throbber (but where?). Progress bar probably is harder to
implement.

> > * "Label:" in the "Add service" dialog should pre-file according to the
> >   user name; like when the user name is 'johndoe', and the service is
> >   GDrive, the Label: should pre-file with "Johndoe's GDrive" or
> >   something (with the possibility to change this by the user if he/she
> >   wants)
> Would be a nice-to-have. But...

Now the default label is just a service type and when user typing own
login, the label is changed with pattern "{user}'s {service name}" (if
label wasn't changed before by user).

> > * opening file from the recent documents in the start center asks for
> >   the user name (would be good to remember that or have that as part of
> >   the URL it remembers), and then does not open the file - only the busy
> >   mouse pointer keeps rolling
> I started from Writer>Recent  documents: Remote and after the first dialog
> with user name and password I wasn't asked again (edit: but after restart). As
> well at the start center.

Fixed.

> BTW: Save works but 'Save as' gives me a 'The folder contents could not be
> displayed. Operation not supported' error message. Guess it comes from an
> undefined local place (I'm on Linux/KDE). Question here is whether we should
> 'save as' locally (/home/<user>; c:\users\<name>\Documents; /Users/<name>) or
> remotely with a different name.

The same on Linux/GNOME.

> + dialog width restriction is too conservative
> I'd like to resize it somewhat smaller to have it in a 4:3 dimension. But
> that's not possible due to minimum width of ~800px.

This was caused by long filter names. Now dialog width is independent
and minimum/default width is shorter.

> + 'add/delete service' should be disabled when no service is selected
> Both menu entries are enabled even when no service has been defined.

Done.

> + preselection of file type depending on app
> Filter is set to 'all files' but could adopted to the running app such as
> presentations in case of Impress.

This behaviour is inherited from standard file picker. I will try to do
this.

> + menu
> Users might not look for remote files at the recent files menu.

This wasn't intentionally, and now this entry is removed.

> However I have
> no idea how to solve this problem. 'Open...' and the default open dialog
> should stay as it is. And another menu entry on the top level doesn't reflect
> the low relevance of CMIS for the average user.

I forgot to add menu entries and I did this during last days. I've added
both open and save.

> + speed
> At least WebDAV is slow to an unusable extend.

Now all operations are executed two times (file list and tree), I must
think how to reuse the same data.

> + info/app title
> Might be good to know that a document is opened remotely. I suggest to add
> this info to the title, like 'Foo.odt (Remote) - LibreofficeDev Writer'.

I will try do this.

> > I am sorry if this feedback comes too early, and all this is actually on
> > your todo :-)  Either way - great stuff, love the work done so far!
> +1 Impressive progress!
Thanks

I also have a proposal to add "New Folder" button in the save mode. Now
it is possible to save files in the existing directories only. When user
want to save in a folder other than root, must create it using other
tools.

Regards,
Szymon

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

Am 24.07.2015 12:28:27, schrieb Szymon Kłos:
> > * when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
> > "Add service" dialog should open directly
> I wouldn't do so. It's pretty clear that no service has been configured.

I've already implemented this and rest of kendy's proposals (not marked
as 'to be discussed') :) I will push my changes to the master branch
then you will be able to try it.


Had a discussion with Kendy on IRC. His argument is convenience and unambiguousness - no need to click the 'add service' button where nothing else is possible (when the add service dialog is canceled you end in the empty dialog). I care about consitency and user expectation - to run functions automatically is a wizard-like behavior and not common in Libreoffice; the mental step from open remote file to add service needs to be done anyway. Another disadvantage is that writing a guideline for dialogs is not getting easier.


Both opinions are valid, and if we do not get more input here either the user or the developer decides eventually.


> > * when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
> > be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
> > should be given that some user action is expected first
> +1 for showing the list of files
> (currently the list is updated when an item from the service dropdown is
> selected)

Most of services needs authorization, so first the login box appears and
then files will be shown (if password isn't remembered). Problem I have
is: if password is no needed, dialog will appear only after getting
files from remote server. During this time LO is not responsive.


If we automatically start the add service function we could also present a list of services to choose one in order to initialize the dialog. Alternatively, the dropdown with predefined services should be empty or showing the advice 'Select a service'. And if all fails we rather add the refresh button instead of requiring the user to click somewhere.


I also have a proposal to add "New Folder" button in the save mode. Now
it is possible to save files in the existing directories only. When user
want to save in a folder other than root, must create it using other
tools.

 

Same as for my resentments about adding the refresh button: If dialogs may show any buttons we do not manage consistency (at least at the dialog bottom). But I agree with small, toolbar-like buttons without caption perhaps, above the list of files. And of course the context menu may (and should) provide the functionality.



_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice