Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Next » 12
PeeWee PeeWee

Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Hi Peter
I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is not
too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and I hope
the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.

With regards to the chapter you've just posted, the copyright page
carries the date range 'to 2012'. I've been changing this to 2013.
Jean is going to make a decision on how we refer to file types: .odt,
*.odt, .ODT, or just ODT etc. This so we have a consistent presentation
in the docs.
I only wanted to look at the document to see your graphics to see if
they reinforced my thoughts on the Tango set, I've not done a
read-through so can't comment further.

Oh! Speaking of comments. The new Writer allows you to select a range of
text and add a comment to it. With my Win XP set-up, on the files in
which I did this as a reminder for when I returned to them, LO could not
open them, returning a read error. Watch out for that. Could only be
Windows.

Regards
JohnS

On 23/01/2013 14:04, PeeWee wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have just uploaded a draft copy of Version 4 of the Getting Started Guide
> Chapter 1 Introducing LibreOffice to the ODF Authors website.
>
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.0/gs-chap-1-introducing-libreoffice/view
>
> It is ready for review and comment.
>
> Please note that I have used the default Tango set of icons. I will be
> honest and say that this is not the best set of icons I have seen for
> software. Much prefer the Galaxy set.
>
> Regards
>
> PeterS

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

      I tested the possible problem with comments created by LO
4.0.0.0.beta2 (32 bit). LO 3.5.7and 3.6.5.2 both opened it with no
problems. Even the Ubuntu version 3.5.4 opened it. One thing that I did
notice is that all of these versions placed the arrow at the beginning
of the range of text (without highlighting this range) while LO
4.0.0.0.beta places the arrow at the end of the range (this range is
highlighted).

--Dan

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Hi Dan
My problem exists on LO 4.0.0.1. I only have Windows to check it on and
it causes the error there. The problem, to reiterate, is caused by
selecting a range of text and inserting a comment, as opposed to just
clicking in the text and then inserting a comment. This can be seen
here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.7 in the first
screen shot in the Writer section.

JohnS
On 23/01/2013 15:39, Dan Lewis wrote:

>      I tested the possible problem with comments created by LO
> 4.0.0.0.beta2 (32 bit). LO 3.5.7and 3.6.5.2 both opened it with no
> problems. Even the Ubuntu version 3.5.4 opened it. One thing that I
> did notice is that all of these versions placed the arrow at the
> beginning of the range of text (without highlighting this range) while
> LO 4.0.0.0.beta places the arrow at the end of the range (this range
> is highlighted).
>
> --Dan
>

> On 01/23/2013 10:04 AM, John Smith wrote:
>> Hi Peter
>> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is
>> not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and
>> I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.
>>
>> With regards to the chapter you've just posted, the copyright page
>> carries the date range 'to 2012'. I've been changing this to 2013.
>> Jean is going to make a decision on how we refer to file types: .odt,
>> *.odt, .ODT, or just ODT etc. This so we have a consistent
>> presentation in the docs.
>> I only wanted to look at the document to see your graphics to see if
>> they reinforced my thoughts on the Tango set, I've not done a
>> read-through so can't comment further.
>>
>> Oh! Speaking of comments. The new Writer allows you to select a range
>> of text and add a comment to it. With my Win XP set-up, on the files
>> in which I did this as a reminder for when I returned to them, LO
>> could not open them, returning a read error. Watch out for that.
>> Could only be Windows.
>>

>> Regards
>> JohnS
>>
>> On 23/01/2013 14:04, PeeWee wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have just uploaded a draft copy of Version 4 of the Getting
>>> Started Guide
>>> Chapter 1 Introducing LibreOffice to the ODF Authors website.
>>>
>>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.0/gs-chap-1-introducing-libreoffice/view
>>>

>>> It is ready for review and comment.
>>>
>>> Please note that I have used the default Tango set of icons. I will be
>>> honest and say that this is not the best set of icons I have seen for
>>> software. Much prefer the Galaxy set.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> PeterS
>>> --
>>> context:http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Getting-Started-Guide-Version-LO-4-0-tp4029065p4031288.html

Jean Weber Jean Weber

LO 4.0 user guides - Icon set

OK, since we all dislike the Tango icons, let's keep using Galaxy in the v4.0 user guides for now. That will also save some work in identifying and replacing icon images.

--Jean

On 24/01/2013, at 1:46, Peter Schofield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello John
>
> I only did this as an experiment. It will be easy enough to change back to Galaxy if we can get an agreement to continue with Galaxy.
>
> Thanks for the info about the commenting in Writer. I shall watch out for it.
>
> Regards
>
> PeterS
>
> On 23 Jan 2013, at 16:04, John Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter
>> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.
>>
>> With regards to the chapter you've just posted, the copyright page carries the date range 'to 2012'. I've been changing this to 2013.
>> Jean is going to make a decision on how we refer to file types: .odt, *.odt, .ODT, or just ODT etc. This so we have a consistent presentation in the docs.
>> I only wanted to look at the document to see your graphics to see if they reinforced my thoughts on the Tango set, I've not done a read-through so can't comment further.
>>
>> Oh! Speaking of comments. The new Writer allows you to select a range of text and add a comment to it. With my Win XP set-up, on the files in which I did this as a reminder for when I returned to them, LO could not open them, returning a read error. Watch out for that. Could only be Windows.
>>

>> Regards
>> JohnS
>>
>> On 23/01/2013 14:04, PeeWee wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have just uploaded a draft copy of Version 4 of the Getting Started Guide
>>> Chapter 1 Introducing LibreOffice to the ODF Authors website.
>>>
>>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.0/gs-chap-1-introducing-libreoffice/view
>>>
>>> It is ready for review and comment.
>>>
>>> Please note that I have used the default Tango set of icons. I will be
>>> honest and say that this is not the best set of icons I have seen for
>>> software. Much prefer the Galaxy set.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> PeterS

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

I have installed LO 4.0.0.1 on both 32 bit and 64 bit for Ubuntu 12.04
LTS. I repeated the test (selecting more than 10 words) using 4.0.0.1.
On 32 bit, it opened as before in LO 3.5.7 and 3.6.5.2. On 64 bit, it
opened using LO 3.4.4, 3.5.7, and 3.6.4.3. LO 3.4.4 hung up for a while
possibly more than 20 seconds (I did not time it). The other versions
opened very quickly. I can not speak for RPM and Mac versions.

--Dan

On 01/23/2013 02:09 PM, John Smith wrote:

> Hi Dan
> My problem exists on LO 4.0.0.1. I only have Windows to check it on
> and it causes the error there. The problem, to reiterate, is caused by
> selecting a range of text and inserting a comment, as opposed to just
> clicking in the text and then inserting a comment. This can be seen
> here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.7 in the
> first screen shot in the Writer section.
>
> JohnS
> On 23/01/2013 15:39, Dan Lewis wrote:
>>      I tested the possible problem with comments created by LO
>> 4.0.0.0.beta2 (32 bit). LO 3.5.7and 3.6.5.2 both opened it with no
>> problems. Even the Ubuntu version 3.5.4 opened it. One thing that I
>> did notice is that all of these versions placed the arrow at the
>> beginning of the range of text (without highlighting this range)
>> while LO 4.0.0.0.beta places the arrow at the end of the range (this
>> range is highlighted).
>>
>> --Dan
>>

>> On 01/23/2013 10:04 AM, John Smith wrote:
>>> Hi Peter
>>> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is
>>> not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean
>>> and I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.
>>>
>>> With regards to the chapter you've just posted, the copyright page
>>> carries the date range 'to 2012'. I've been changing this to 2013.
>>> Jean is going to make a decision on how we refer to file types:
>>> .odt, *.odt, .ODT, or just ODT etc. This so we have a consistent
>>> presentation in the docs.
>>> I only wanted to look at the document to see your graphics to see if
>>> they reinforced my thoughts on the Tango set, I've not done a
>>> read-through so can't comment further.
>>>
>>> Oh! Speaking of comments. The new Writer allows you to select a
>>> range of text and add a comment to it. With my Win XP set-up, on the
>>> files in which I did this as a reminder for when I returned to them,
>>> LO could not open them, returning a read error. Watch out for that.
>>> Could only be Windows.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> JohnS

vpanter vpanter

Re: LO 4.0 user guides - Icon set

+1 ;-)

Best regards

Leo

Op 23-01-13 22:20, Jean Weber schreef:

> OK, since we all dislike the Tango icons, let's keep using Galaxy in the v4.0 user guides for now. That will also save some work in identifying and replacing icon images.
>
> --Jean
>
> On 24/01/2013, at 1:46, Peter Schofield <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello John
>>
>> I only did this as an experiment. It will be easy enough to change back to Galaxy if we can get an agreement to continue with Galaxy.
>>
>> Thanks for the info about the commenting in Writer. I shall watch out for it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> PeterS
>>
>> On 23 Jan 2013, at 16:04, John Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Peter
>>> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.
>>>
>>> With regards to the chapter you've just posted, the copyright page carries the date range 'to 2012'. I've been changing this to 2013.
>>> Jean is going to make a decision on how we refer to file types: .odt, *.odt, .ODT, or just ODT etc. This so we have a consistent presentation in the docs.
>>> I only wanted to look at the document to see your graphics to see if they reinforced my thoughts on the Tango set, I've not done a read-through so can't comment further.
>>>
>>> Oh! Speaking of comments. The new Writer allows you to select a range of text and add a comment to it. With my Win XP set-up, on the files in which I did this as a reminder for when I returned to them, LO could not open them, returning a read error. Watch out for that. Could only be Windows.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> JohnS

Gary Schnabl Gary Schnabl

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

BTW, what is the difference in the LibreOffice View options for icon
styles between the "Automatic (Tango)" and the "Tango" listitems?

In addition, it is somewhat confusing to still have Galaxy listed as the
default for the icon style--worded as "Galaxy (default)"--after the
factory default was switched from Galaxy to Tango.

The latter--Galaxy mislabeling--obviously seems to be a bug (made way
back with the introduction of Version 3.6 by the developers due to not
correctly modifying the wording in the source code for that text string).

Plus, wouldn't it be better to have the icon size and style options
dimmed (grayed, etc.) in the View options if the following check box is
selected--for the system icons to override the LO icon options)?

Gary

On 1/23/2013 10:04 AM, John Smith wrote:
> Hi Peter
> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is
> not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and
> I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.

--
Detroit--two miles north of Canada, Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://www.technicaleditor.livernoisyard.com/phpBB3>

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

You'll need to talk to the Design Team or the devs about those issues;
they are not in our area of responsibility or ability to change. Nor
do I know the answers to your question.

--Jean

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Gary Schnabl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW, what is the difference in the LibreOffice View options for icon styles
> between the "Automatic (Tango)" and the "Tango" listitems?
>
> In addition, it is somewhat confusing to still have Galaxy listed as the
> default for the icon style--worded as "Galaxy (default)"--after the factory
> default was switched from Galaxy to Tango.
>
> The latter--Galaxy mislabeling--obviously seems to be a bug (made way back
> with the introduction of Version 3.6 by the developers due to not correctly
> modifying the wording in the source code for that text string).
>
> Plus, wouldn't it be better to have the icon size and style options dimmed
> (grayed, etc.) in the View options if the following check box is
> selected--for the system icons to override the LO icon options)?
>
> Gary
>

> On 1/23/2013 10:04 AM, John Smith wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter
>> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is not
>> too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and I hope the
>> decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.
>

> --
> Detroit--two miles north of Canada, Windsor, that is...
>
> Technical Editor forum <http://www.technicaleditor.livernoisyard.com/phpBB3>

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

      Very likely, there is no difference between the two of them. One
way to test this is to select "Tango" and take several screen shots of
the icons. Then select "Automatic (Tango)" and do the same thing. Then
compare the screen shots.
      I have version 4.0.0.1 for 32 bit and 64 bit Debian. (I use
Ubuntu.) There are some differences from what have been mentioned:
Automatic is associated with Oxygen as in "Automatic (Oxygen)". Galaxy
is still the Default selection. And yes, there is a separate "Oxygen"
choice which contains the same icons for the Standard toolbar as
"Automatic (Oxygen)". I checked.
      The 4.0.0.1 version for the Mac has "Automatic (Tango)", "Galaxy
(Default)", and "Tango" (plus a few others). So there are some
differences in what icon sets are available by OS. I don't have access
to the RPM version.

--Dan

Gary Schnabl Gary Schnabl

On 1/23/2013 11:24 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Very likely, there is no difference between the two of them. One way
> to test this is to select "Tango" and take several screen shots of the
> icons. Then select "Automatic (Tango)" and do the same thing. Then
> compare the screen shots.
>      I have version 4.0.0.1 for 32 bit and 64 bit Debian. (I use
> Ubuntu.) There are some differences from what have been mentioned:
> Automatic is associated with Oxygen as in "Automatic (Oxygen)". Galaxy
> is still the Default selection. And yes, there is a separate "Oxygen"
> choice which contains the same icons for the Standard toolbar as
> "Automatic (Oxygen)". I checked.

Apparently on my Windows 7 4.0.0.1 version, before I made any changes,
the Automatic (Tango) listitem was listed on the Options - LibreOffice-
VIew dialog box as the icon-theme option and was assumed to be the
"first" real, actual default. One way to check that, though, was to
press Revert. And then after I did that, Galaxy (default) became
listed--and was assumed to be the new (factory?) default at that point.

So, my next question is: If Automatic (Tango) is listed as the icon
style after a installation (before any mod options were made), what icon
theme is the "first" default--the listed Automatic (Tango) or the
unlisted Galaxy (default)?

Gary

>      The 4.0.0.1 version for the Mac has "Automatic (Tango)", "Galaxy
> (Default)", and "Tango" (plus a few others). So there are some
> differences in what icon sets are available by OS. I don't have access
> to the RPM version.
>
> --Dan
>
> On 01/23/2013 10:09 PM, Gary Schnabl wrote:
>> BTW, what is the difference in the LibreOffice View options for icon
>> styles between the "Automatic (Tango)" and the "Tango" listitems?
>>
>> In addition, it is somewhat confusing to still have Galaxy listed as
>> the default for the icon style--worded as "Galaxy (default)"--after
>> the factory default was switched from Galaxy to Tango.
>>
>> The latter--Galaxy mislabeling--obviously seems to be a bug (made way
>> back with the introduction of Version 3.6 by the developers due to
>> not correctly modifying the wording in the source code for that text
>> string).
>>
>> Plus, wouldn't it be better to have the icon size and style options
>> dimmed (grayed, etc.) in the View options if the following check box
>> is selected--for the system icons to override the LO icon options)?
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On 1/23/2013 10:04 AM, John Smith wrote:
>>> Hi Peter
>>> I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is
>>> not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean
>>> and I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.

--
Detroit--two miles north of Canada, Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://www.technicaleditor.livernoisyard.com/phpBB3>

Tom Tom

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Hi :)
It is good to hear the differences (if any) are not very noticeable.  I think that's the only bit that is of crucial interest to the Docs Team except perhaps in one of the guides if there is a paragraph about icon sets.  Even there it probably doesn't matter much unless the different sets are listed, described and images shown of them.  It's interesting to hear about especially now that the UI focus is moving to over-all theming through "personas".  So, it's good to hear that the screen-shots are likely to be very consistent if using potentially different versions of the same icon sets.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: LO 4.0 user guides - Icon set

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Tom,
I think you may have misunderstood what Gary and Dan have said.

In fact, the differences between the Galaxy and Tango icon sets are
considerable.

We are certainly NOT going to attempt to cover all of the icon sets.

--Jean

PeeWee PeeWee

Tom Tom

Re: Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Hi :)
Sorry i knew i was unclear when i typed it.  I meant the difference between
"Tango" and
"Automatic (Tango)"
seem to be slight or unnoticeable and similarly so for other sets.

Good to hear that the icon sets are not covered in print!  Hopefully the full range of sets is constantly evolving and ever-increasing.  Hopefully even the Design Teams wiki can't keep up with the interesting new things being developed by people.

I thought the guides had always had a disclaimer about the likelihood of there being visual differences due to theming and icon sets.  I guess our target market until now would have probably thought that quite obvious and easy to understand, especially after seeing a couple of the screen-shots.  Now that we have probably reached around saturation point in Gnu&LInux markets and probably getting almost all growth from recent ex-Windows or current Windows users it's smart to be a bit more obvious.

Tom Tom

Re: LO 4.0 user guides - Icon set

Good points but i think these were made in the original discussion.  The decision to use Galaxy was due to it being clearer when printed, (a side issue was that it was the only other one available on all platforms at the time (i think))

Tango might look nice on-screen but if it looks horrible in print or is too murky so see what's going on (bearing in mind that not all readers have good eyesight) then that is even more reason to use Galaxy in print.  Similarly the other way around.  I'm not sure if i would like Galaxy as the default on-screen but it looks great in the guides.

There is a 3rd option and probably others too
3.  Just leave it to the disclaimer to explain why the icons look different and perhaps signpost people to how to change sets for themselves and a place to find new sets.
4.  In the disclaimer print 1 copy of the Tango set and 1 of the Galaxy set so that people can refer back to it if they have problem with a screen-shot

Next » 12