Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

Next » 12
Jean Weber Jean Weber

Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

As you probably know, the next version of LibreOffice (due out in late
July) will be version 5.0. A Beta1 version is available; it is in
dev-configuration and will install alongside your existing LibreOffice
installation. (Beta2 is due out next week.)

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/5.0#5.0.0_release
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.0

We really should publish at least the Getting Started Guide for v5.0
reasonably close to the time the program is released, don't you agree?

The most recent GS book is for v4.2. I had put all the chapters into a
new template in preparation for people to update content for v4.4; I
did a trivial amount of updating on a few chapters; PeterS and I
updated Chapter 9, but AFAIK nothing else ever got done.

At this point we should skip GS v4.4 and try to do a book for v5.0.
You could start with the chapters here (which are in the new template:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.4
Update them and return them to
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-5.0
And be sure to put your initials and the date in the relevant boxes on
the Task List, so others know that you've checked out or returned a
chapter.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Getting_Started_Guide

If you need some guidance,
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team

And if you'd like to take over the role of "leader", coordinator,
herder of cats for Documentation, *please* do so.

--Jean Weber

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

On 28/05/2015 04:55, Jean Weber wrote:
> We really should publish at least the Getting Started Guide for v5.0
> reasonably close to the time the program is released, don't you agree?

Is the LO4.4 chapter template (draft) going to be the standard template
for LibO v5?

jonathon

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

Unless the group decides otherwise, yes. Though will probably be some
tweaks; there always are. --Jean

On Thursday, May 28, 2015, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/05/2015 04:55, Jean Weber wrote:
> > We really should publish at least the Getting Started Guide for v5.0
> > reasonably close to the time the program is released, don't you agree?
>
> Is the LO4.4 chapter template (draft) going to be the standard template
> for LibO v5?
>
> jonathon

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

The most important thing about the draft new template is the style
names, which have been changed and simplified from the earlier
templates. The actual appearance can be changed easily by modifying
the styles, and that sort of change ("tweaks") are likely.

Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the
style names of the new files are correct.

--Jean

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 28/05/2015 07:20, Jean Weber wrote:

> Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style names of the new files are correct.

Thanks.

###

This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
used direct formatting, and not character styles.

jonathon

Marcus Mackaku Marcus Mackaku

Re: Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

Why do we not rather create one standard template for all versions or that
can be used across all versions?

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/05/2015 07:20, Jean Weber wrote:
>
> > Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style
> names of the new files are correct.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ###
>
> This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
> have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
> used direct formatting, and not character styles.
>
> jonathon

Marcus Kgosi

Dave Barton Dave Barton

Marcus Mackaku wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 28/05/2015 07:20, Jean Weber wrote:
>>
>>> Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style
>> names of the new files are correct.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ###
>>
>> This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
>> have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
>> used direct formatting, and not character styles.
>>
>> jonathon
>>
> Why do we not rather create one standard template for all versions or that
> can be used across all versions?

For many years we have used one standard template for all versions and
will continue to do so. The template referred to in this thread is a
much needed update of that original template. It is proposed that from
version 5 of the guides Jean's draft template should be applied to
updated and new chapters.

Dave

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 28/05/2015 13:38, Marcus Mackaku wrote:

> Why do we not rather create one standard template for all versions or that can be used across all versions?

A little more than a decade ago, somebody, probably Jean, made a
template for OpenOffice.org Documentation. Over time, that template has
been modified, to fit current practices, and document output.

By way of example:
* In LibO4.4.draft.ott, the modifications made it easier to export
content to ePub format, with minimal presentation markup loss;
* The cover page was changed, when _The Document Foundation_ was created;
* I _think_ that the same template is used, with Apache branding, rather
than OOo or LibO branding. (I'm not sure about this, because the Apache
documentation does not cover the current version of AOO;

_Maak je mooiste werkstuk met LibreOffice Writer_ uses the lightly
modified _LibreOffice handleidingen_. Dutch (The Netherlands) is the
default language, rather that English (US).

The Base documentation in German uses an older version of the template,
with a minor modification -- German (Germany) as the default language,
rather than English (US).

Both of those documents use a different font than the current
LibO4.4.draft, but I don't know if that is because the fonts changed
with LibO4.4.draft, or if the the default fonts for English don't work
as well for Dutch and German text.

jonathon

Alan Cook Alan Cook

Re: Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

So how do we find out what's new in v5.0? Just start working through a
chapter from the old guide using 5.0 to see if anything doesn't work the
same way?

Dave Barton Dave Barton

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 28/05/2015 21:47, Alan Cook wrote:
> So how do we find out what's new in v5.0?

In theory, all changes can be found at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.0.

So use that document to describe what, and how to use the new features.

Then go through the old version, changing the text to reflect what
currently happens, if there are any changes, and then updating any
associated graphics.

jonathon

  * English - detected
  * English

  * English

 <javascript:void(0);>

Milos Sramek-2 Milos Sramek-2

On 2015-05-28 09:38, toki wrote:

> On 28/05/2015 07:20, Jean Weber wrote:
>
>> Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style names of the new files are correct.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ###
>
> This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
> have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
> used direct formatting, and not character styles.

Some time ago all guides used both character styles and lot of direct
formatting. Because of translating, I have removed direct formatting
from Getting Started and  also from the Writer Guide - so there should
be no direct formatting now (unless something went wrong).

I can do that also with other guides. It should be done in two steps:
First manually replace direct formatting to style (e.g., search for the
font weight attribute and then apply the OOOMenuPath or
OOOStrongEmphasis style - according to context). Second, remove the
remaining direct formatting (usually not visible an useful) by a script.

Milos

--
Milos Sramek, [hidden email]

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Fwd: [libreoffice-documentation] Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

Sorry, this was supposed to go to the list.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Milos Sramek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-05-28 09:38, toki wrote:
>>

>> On 28/05/2015 07:20, Jean Weber wrote:
>>
>>> Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style names of the new files are correct.
>>

>> This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
>> have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
>> used direct formatting, and not character styles.
>
> Some time ago all guides used both character styles and lot of direct
> formatting. Because of translating, I have removed direct formatting
> from Getting Started and  also from the Writer Guide - so there should
> be no direct formatting now (unless something went wrong).
>
> I can do that also with other guides. It should be done in two steps:
> First manually replace direct formatting to style (e.g., search for the
> font weight attribute and then apply the OOOMenuPath or
> OOOStrongEmphasis style - according to context). Second, remove the
> remaining direct formatting (usually not visible an useful) by a script.
>
> Milos

When I put the files into the new template, changing the paragraph
styles to the new names was easy. I started changing the character
styles from OOoXXXXXX to the new names of the character styles, but I
did not do them all. So some chapters are a bit of a mess right now,
with some old character styles remaining, some changed to new names,
some with no style applied, and some manual character formatting.

I think that some of the places where we used character styles really
do not need to have any formatting applied, but that is a separate
discussion that I do not have the energy to pursue right now. Also,
there was some inconsistency in use: PeterS sometimes used italics for
items that I and others did not, for example the names of dialogs and
x-refs to chapter titles. Ideally we would make all this consistent,
but with limited resources it seems to me a lot more important to make
sure the content is up to date.

One of the chapters of the Contributors Guide, and/or the template
itself, lists what items should be in which character style. However,
I don't remember if those documents have been updated to cover the new
style names.

--Jean

Alan Cook Alan Cook

Re: Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

I've checked out Ch. 9, the Math chapter, from the v4.4 file, and will
update it for v5.0.

Alan

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

On 05/28/2015 12:55 AM, Jean Weber wrote:

> As you probably know, the next version of LibreOffice (due out in late
> July) will be version 5.0. A Beta1 version is available; it is in
> dev-configuration and will install alongside your existing LibreOffice
> installation. (Beta2 is due out next week.)
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/5.0#5.0.0_release
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.0
>
> We really should publish at least the Getting Started Guide for v5.0
> reasonably close to the time the program is released, don't you agree?
>
> The most recent GS book is for v4.2. I had put all the chapters into a
> new template in preparation for people to update content for v4.4; I
> did a trivial amount of updating on a few chapters; PeterS and I
> updated Chapter 9, but AFAIK nothing else ever got done.
>
> At this point we should skip GS v4.4 and try to do a book for v5.0.
> You could start with the chapters here (which are in the new template:
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.4
> Update them and return them to
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-5.0
> And be sure to put your initials and the date in the relevant boxes on
> the Task List, so others know that you've checked out or returned a
> chapter.
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Getting_Started_Guide
>
> If you need some guidance,
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team
>
> And if you'd like to take over the role of "leader", coordinator,
> herder of cats for Documentation, *please* do so.
>
> --Jean Weber

I have downloaded "Getting Started with Base" (GS4408-Base.odt) this morning. I am going on a week's vacation beginning June 3, so I may need until mid June to finish my editing. FYI: Since Dec 24, 2013, I have been writing my autobiography putting it into ePUB format in 3 parts. First 2 parts done (total 156,000 words).

    Dan

Alan Cook Alan Cook

graphics for Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0

Hello all,

I need to update Figures 1 and 2 in Ch. 9 (the Math chapter) of GS v5.0.
I'm running LO on Windows so I can't make my own screenshots. If someone
who's using Linux could make shots of those two figures and send them to
me, I can plug them in.

The difference is that the floating dialog won't appear in the new
figures. Don't worry; the dialog box has been removed entirely from
v5.0, so you can't mess up.

Thanks,
Alan

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

Re: graphics for Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0

Alan,
You can take screen shots with Windows. The "PrtScrn" key copies an
image of the desktop to the clipboard. Then just paste it into a program
like "Paint" and save it as a file. I think Ctrl PrtScrn captures just
the active window. And Alt PrtScrn and Shift PrtScrn do something
similar, but I don't remember what.
HTH
Ruth Ann, Loveland OH, USA

--
*This e-mail is a natural product made from Recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual

Ruth Ann Stewart, Loveland, OH
dba Cameo Canine
www.CameoCanine.com

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 02/06/2015 11:26, Ruth Ann wrote:

> You can take screen shots with Windows.

If memory serves me right, there is either a formal, or informal policy
of not using screenshots from any Microsoft platform, because Microsoft
claims that usage to infringe upon their copyright.

jonathon

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Re: graphics for Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0

Hi all,
Am 02.06.2015 um 16:39 schrieb toki:

> On 02/06/2015 11:26, Ruth Ann wrote:
>
>> You can take screen shots with Windows.
>
> If memory serves me right, there is either a formal, or informal policy
> of not using screenshots from any Microsoft platform, because Microsoft
> claims that usage to infringe upon their copyright.

E.g.:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/5/5e/Producing-LO-userguides.odt

page 14
How to create images for LibreOffice user guides
"Screen captures"

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
http://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/members/
http://de.libreoffice.org
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

John Hart John Hart

Re: graphics for Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0

In windows take screen shot, crop out all the microsoft  references,
then save as a .png

On 06/02/2015 10:39 AM, toki wrote:

> On 02/06/2015 11:26, Ruth Ann wrote:
>
>> You can take screen shots with Windows.
> If memory serves me right, there is either a formal, or informal policy
> of not using screenshots from any Microsoft platform, because Microsoft
> claims that usage to infringe upon their copyright.
>
> jonathon

Next » 12