Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas

VinceB VinceB

Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas

Hello Group:

Windows 10-x64 Home

Version: 6.4.3.2 (x64)
Build ID: 747b5d0ebf89f41c860ec2a39efd7cb15b54f2d8

The format of the Calc file that I am working on is .csv.

I do not know what I have done to cause a red-line box to appear after making an entry into a Calc cell.

If I select a row, a red box overlay around the entire row appears.

A bolded-red dot appears in the upper-left corner of the cell/row and a pop-up message is displayed; it has a time stamp included followed by a note that describes what was just done in that cell/row, e.g., (timestamp:) Row 256:Row 256 inserted, as if recording changes.

I need help. I am new to LO; have been using AOO for a while.

Thanks for reading this; stay safe, be well.

Regards,

VinceB.

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas

Hi,
You are getting this type of message because you have Track Changes ON. To
turn OFF, you should only have to uncheck the Record option of Edit -> Track
Changes.  I am not sure how it got enabled to begin with, but it could have
been accidentally activated since the Search and Replace selection is just
above in the Edit menu and your mouse could have slipped (happens to me
sometimes).
I hope this helps.
Rémy.

VinceB VinceB

Re: Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas

Hi Remy:

Thank you for your reply, which I found on the Mail-Archive.com. For
some unknown reason, I am not receiving emails from [libreoffice-users]
via my Thunder Bird email client (imap account).

As for the red-box issue, it resolved itself after I closed and reopened
the LO Calc file that I was working on; so, I am happy again. :-)

I have been using AOO-Calc for a while, and am now making a slow
transition to LO; viewing YouTube tutorial videos
(https://thefrugalcomputerguy.com/) for Calc and Base. Appreciate your
information.

Please be well and stay safe.

VinceB.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Lost messages [was: Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas]

At 11:20 29/05/2020 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>Hi Remy: Thank you for your reply, which I found on the
>Mail-Archive.com. For some unknown reason, I am not receiving emails
>from [libreoffice-users] via my Thunder Bird email client (imap account).

You will receive most messages from the LibreOffice Users mailing
list, but not any sent from some domains, including - as M.
Gauthier's - from yahoo.com. This is because the administrators of
the LibreOffice Users list refuse to make any one of a number of
possible configuration changes to the mailing list processor to
correct this problem. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC . Your mail provider is merely
following the rules in rejecting some messages.

Indeed, I suspect that this message from me will also appear in the
archive but not be received by *some* mailing list subscribers, whose
mail providers simply obey the standards and reject my messages as
forwarded by the list. (So I'm copying this to you privately.) The
current situation at the list s tedious and unsupportable.

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 18:08 29/05/2020 +0100, I wrote:
>... I suspect that this message from me will also appear in the
>archive but not be received by *some* mailing list subscribers,
>whose mail providers simply obey the standards and reject my
>messages as forwarded by the list.

Aha! I'm delighted to find that I was wrong. My btinternet.com mail
has been provided for some time by Yahoo, but was changed a few days
ago and is no longer. My new mail arrangements no longer show the
problem. But M. Gauthier is still out of luck - and it's the fault of
the LibreOffice Users list, not his yahoo.com.

Brian Barker

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Lost messages [was: Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas]

On Fri, 29 May 2020 18:17:05 +0100
Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 18:08 29/05/2020 +0100, I wrote:
> >... I suspect that this message from me will also appear in the
> >archive but not be received by *some* mailing list subscribers,
> >whose mail providers simply obey the standards and reject my
> >messages as forwarded by the list.
>
> Aha! I'm delighted to find that I was wrong. My btinternet.com mail
> has been provided for some time by Yahoo, but was changed a few days
> ago and is no longer. My new mail arrangements no longer show the
> problem. But M. Gauthier is still out of luck - and it's the fault of
> the LibreOffice Users list, not his yahoo.com.

Sorry, I don't know very much about this subject, but AFAICT you are
blaming an innocent party here. The DMARC standard is, AIUI, an
ill-thought out disaster as far as mailing lists are concerned and the
blame should therefore be attached to mail providers such as Yahoo who
apply such a flawed standard without due consideration.

To me, it's more an indication to avoid Yahoo and its ilk than any
criticism of this or any other list experiencing such problems.

> Brian Barker

VinceB VinceB

Re: Lost messages [was: Re: Getting a Red-box around Cell entries or Selected Areas]

Rèmy:

Yes; I have occasionally received aBouncing messages from
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>but it
also said that things are now back to normal ....  Confusing for me.

FYI, I am using a @verizon.net (via AOL) ISP.  I do not have any working
knowledge about "nabble" nor "AIUI".  I had made use of the search
function within T'bird and that is what led to locating your reply. I'll
have to add Google nabble to my To-Do List, but for now I would rather
continue studying LO and AOO.  A great deal yet for me to learn.

Stay safe.

VinceB.