Grammar Checking in Writer

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Grammar Checking in Writer

I just did a complete cleaning and re-installation of LibreOffice on my 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I now have LibreOffice Version 4.0.3.3 (Build ID: 0eaa50a932c8f2199a615e1eb30f7ac74279539) installed.

I was attempting to explore the grammar checking feature - using either F7 or "Tools | Spelling and Grammar ..." but have been unable to get it to do anything. My sample was a new blank document in which I typed "the boyz is good." The auto-correction capitalized the initial "T", and the spell checker flagged "boyz," but there was no indication at all about a problem with "boys is," even after re-running F7 once the spelling of "boys" had been corrected.

Under Tools | Language Settings | Writing Aids - Available Language Modules, "LightProof Language Checker" is checked.

Under Tools | Language Settings | Writing Aids - Options, "Check grammar as you type" is checked.

In the Tools | Language Tool | Configuration dialog, I took one of the checked examples of what the tool checks and used it in the document, as follows:

I typed in "Is this a know problem?" According to the rule, this should be corrected or flagged to be "Is this a known problem?"

Instead, it suggested the following: "Is these a know problem?"  This, of course, would add an additional error to the sentence.

I suppose I could just assume that it knows I'm perfect, and just wants to help me appear more human, but I suspect it's more likely that I'm either missing something somewhere.

Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
Anthony Easthope Anthony Easthope

Re: Grammar Checking in Writer

There has been known problems of Lightproof not being good at detecting
certain phrase strings, I myself only rely on the spell check for LO and
have resorted to the prowess of my human eye and the plethora of free
websites that dedicate themselves to spell and grammar checking. I
notice that there has not been a major release for lightproof for awhile
now, Also despite my looking there seems to be nothing to indicate
whether or not there has been any recent development recently

I trust that this website: http://grammarbase.com will be of help in the
future

PS: upon rereading your problem I realised I at some point had the same
problem. My problem was when I had LO on my ubuntu machine due to my
locale being New Zealand and there not being a New Zealand dictionary
installed the automatic language of LO was en_NZ and thus lightproof was
ineffective, Upon a quick google search I came across this link which
could perhaps be of
some benefit:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-libreoffice-extensions-to-help-you-catch-grammar-problems/1280
Ka Kite
Anthony
On Fri, 17 May 2013, at 08:59 PM, CVAlkan wrote:

> I just did a complete cleaning and re-installation of LibreOffice on my
> 64
> bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I now have LibreOffice Version 4.0.3.3 (Build ID:
> 0eaa50a932c8f2199a615e1eb30f7ac74279539) installed.
>
> I was attempting to explore the grammar checking feature - using either
> F7
> or "Tools | Spelling and Grammar ..." but have been unable to get it to
> do
> anything. My sample was a new blank document in which I typed "the boyz
> is
> good." The auto-correction capitalized the initial "T", and the spell
> checker flagged "boyz," but there was no indication at all about a
> problem
> with "boys is," even after re-running F7 once the spelling of "boys" had
> been corrected.
>
> Under Tools | Language Settings | Writing Aids - Available Language
> Modules,
> "LightProof Language Checker" is checked.
>
> Under Tools | Language Settings | Writing Aids - Options, "Check grammar
> as
> you type" is checked.
>
> In the Tools | Language Tool | Configuration dialog, I took one of the
> checked examples of what the tool checks and used it in the document, as
> follows:
>
> I typed in "Is this a know problem?" According to the rule, this should
> be
> corrected or flagged to be "Is this a known problem?"
>
> Instead, it suggested the following: "Is these a know problem?"  This, of
> course, would add an additional error to the sentence.
>
> I suppose I could just assume that it knows I'm perfect, and just wants
> help me appear more human, but I suspect it's more likely that I'm either
> missing something somewhere.
>
> Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.

  Anthony Easthope

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Grammar Checking in Writer

I have used both Language Tools and Read Text to help my editing.
After 3 strokes and having Dyslexia, I need all the help I can get.

I do not know if they work for you, but give them a try.
Having someone/something read the text for you helps you hear the mistakes.

On 05/17/2013 04:18 PM, Anthony Easthope wrote:

> [...]
>> Modules,
>> "LightProof Language Checker" is checked.
>>
>> Under Tools | Language Settings | Writing Aids - Options, "Check grammar
>> as
>> you type" is checked.
>>
>> In the Tools | Language Tool | Configuration dialog, I took one of the
>> checked examples of what the tool checks and used it in the document, as
>> follows:
>>
>> I typed in "Is this a know problem?" According to the rule, this should
>> be
>> corrected or flagged to be "Is this a known problem?"
>>
>> Instead, it suggested the following: "Is these a know problem?"  This, of
>> course, would add an additional error to the sentence.
>>
>> I suppose I could just assume that it knows I'm perfect, and just wants
>> help me appear more human, but I suspect it's more likely that I'm either

Guillermo Molleda Jimena Guillermo Molleda Jimena

Re: Compile on Debian Squeeze. Sources list?

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 and all is ok, now I am compiling
libreoffice.

In debian not because when I have the sources list, the
dependencies say me that I have not cpp 4, ...

Bye.

unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems?
deleted