Great File size problem

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Great File size problem

Hi all:

        I use LibreOffice 6.1.1.2 Snap process and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2
Ubuntu 18.04.1 default.

        I tried recently to make a spreadsheet with both LibreOffice
options and I had problems when the file reached more than specified
size. In my case, the last size that I saw was 13.5 MB (512 columns and
8,000 rows, more or less)

        Then when I included more data into the file, suddently it
can't be saved in any way, and lost all the content as I can see in the
properties file because it had 35 kb instead 13.5 MB, but in the screen
I could see the spreadsheet as nothing passed. With the file browser I
could confirm the size : 35 kb.

        LibreOffice sent to my screen the following message (Please see
the link)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjvd4tuiz7p0m2w/Great%20File%20size%20-2018-09-24.png?dl=0

        It is in spanish but in english is something like this:

"Error when save the document: Sin titulo 1
Writing Error
It couldn't write"

I greatful with any help. It would be a bug ?

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Great File size problem

Hi,
I have a spreadsheet that contains Canadian weather data since 1953
(more or less) for 25 weather stations. For each station, there are 28
columns and about 11000 rows of data, with one station per sheet. On
top of that, there are some other sheets that I use to mine into the
data. For good measure, I copied one of the worksheets 3 times, and
added data via copy/paste to have 560 columns on the last worksheet.
Overall, the "big" spreadsheet has these properties (file > Properties
> Stats):
33 worksheets22134827 used cells368 pages10073 formula groups
53.1 MB of disk space used.
It saved, no problem. HOWEVER, LO uses space in /tmp when it creates
the ODS files (it is a ZIPped archive). While it was saving, I went to
/tmp and looked at the files that were created during the saving
process. This is the last "ls" before the save was finished:
total 2756644drwx------  2 remy remy        160 24 sep 19:06
.drwxrwxrwt 18 root root        420 24 sep 19:06 ..-rwxr-xr-x  1 remy
remy   43484017 24 sep 18:57 lu4577gvthcz.tmp-rw-------  1 remy
remy   43484017 24 sep 19:06 lu4577gvthd0.tmp-rw-------  1 remy
remy      12288 24 sep 19:06 lu4577gvthd2.tmp-rw-------  1 remy remy
2683118605 24 sep 19:06 lu4577gvthd4.tmp-rw-------  1 remy
remy   52688515 24 sep 19:07 lu4577gvthd6.tmp-rw-------  1 remy
remy        458 24 sep 19:00 NewHelp0.html
As you can see, there is quite a lot of disk space being used (more or
less 2,7 GB). Could it be that the disk partition you are using to hold
/tmp is almost full? My /tmp partition (Linux Fedora) is 4GB-large and
when I look at its usage when saving the workbook, it goes up to 68%
from 2% when nothing is happening.
I can only assume the save fails because you run out of disk space.
This will generate the error message, the ODS file will be small
because pieces will be missing, and the in-memory copy of the
spreadsheet will be intact, as if nothing happened.
I hope this helps.
Rémy.
Le lundi 24 septembre 2018 à 15:02 -0600, jorge Rodríguez Fonseca a
écrit :

> Hi all:
>
> I use LibreOffice 6.1.1.2 Snap process and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2
> Ubuntu 18.04.1 default.
>
> I tried recently to make a spreadsheet with both LibreOffice
> options and I had problems when the file reached more than specified
> size. In my case, the last size that I saw was 13.5 MB (512 columns
> and
> 8,000 rows, more or less)
>
> Then when I included more data into the file, suddently it
> can't be saved in any way, and lost all the content as I can see in
> the
> properties file because it had 35 kb instead 13.5 MB, but in the
> screen
> I could see the spreadsheet as nothing passed. With the file browser
> could confirm the size : 35 kb.
>
> LibreOffice sent to my screen the following message (Please see
> the link)
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjvd4tuiz7p0m2w/Great%20File%20size%20-2018
> -09-24.png?dl=0
>
> It is in spanish but in english is something like this:
>

> "Error when save the document: Sin titulo 1
> Writing Error
> It couldn't write"
>
> I greatful with any help. It would be a bug ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: Great File size problem

Hi Remy:

        Thank you for your answer an explanation. I'm sorry to answer
some days after but the e-mail was in the spam folder.

        I know that I have only 1.5 GB free space on my hard disk.
Probably it is the problem if LibreOffice make a temp file wile running
it great than 1.5 GB when I'm increasing the spreadsheet size.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez