Great Look

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Manfred Nowak Manfred Nowak
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Great Look

On https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/ is stated "LibreOffice makes your work look great". But no measure for "Great Look" is defined. Therefore this claim may be doubted.

An example is enclosed. As one might recognize that example consists of a paragraph requiring at least two lines.

The not-so-great-look establishes itself, when the paragraph does not fit into two lines anymore, and therefore a third line is required; in addition the last words are very long and cannot be hyphened. This requires, that at least the second line will have additional space between its words, because the last words of the paragraph have to be moved into the third line.

But distributing that additional space over only the second line induces without visible reason, that the spaces between the words of the first line are not equal to the spaces between the words of the second line.

And equal spacing between words is a hallmark of great look, isn't it. At least TeX obeys this hallmark.

-- Nachrichten erreichen mich lediglich elektronisch oder durch persönliche Übergabe

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Great Look

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020, Manfred Nowak wrote:

> On https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/ is stated "LibreOffice makes your work look great". But no measure for "Great Look" is defined. Therefore this claim may be doubted.

>From the rest of the text, it's clear that 'great look' means that
the document is consistently styled and well structured. The claim
'makes you work look great' should really be 'gives you tools that
help make your work look great'. It doesn't have quite the same 'zing' :-)

> An example is enclosed. As one might recognize that example consists of a paragraph requiring at least two lines.

I did not find your example.

> The not-so-great-look establishes itself, when the paragraph does not fit into two lines anymore, and therefore a third line is required; in addition the last words are very long and cannot be hyphened. This requires, that at least the second line will have additional space between its words, because the last words of the paragraph have to be moved into the third line.

What word cannot be hyphenated?

> But distributing that additional space over only the second line induces without visible reason, that the spaces between the words of the first line are not equal to the spaces between the words of the second line.

The 'visible reason' is that you've specified full justification (left
and right). Possible solutions are to accept hyphenation of the long
word that you say cannot be hyphenated; use left justification rather
than full justification; or reword your sentence. You can control how
the problematic word is divided by using a 'Soft hyphen' or perhhaps a
'No-width optional break' (Insert > Formatting Mark).

> And equal spacing between words is a hallmark of great look, isn't it. At least TeX obeys this hallmark.

In fully justified text, the spaces are never all equal, even in TeX.

- Robert


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy