Guidance for GSoC

Vishal Karodia Vishal Karodia

Guidance for GSoC

Hello there,

I've been trying to get started to open source for some months. It would be great if you could guide me or just tell me where i should start from. I have a GitHub account and know C++ upto file handling and have been using LibreOffice for quite a long time now. I've been thinking of preparing for GSoC 2019 and need this valuable guidance.

Would be great if you reply to this email and help me a little.

Thank You.

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Guidance for GSoC

Hi Vishal,

sounds like you want to build LibreOffice first. We have plenty of resources that guide you through the process [1,2,3]. The next step would be to find something you can work on. We call this easyhack [4]. Solving non-trivial tasks is a prerequisite for GSoC students [5] in our organization. And finally you may want to look over our GSoC ideas [6] to get an impression what we are looking for. Feel free to ask for help on our IRC channel #libreoffice-dev.

Hope you enjoy your time with us,
Heiko (UX mentor)

[0] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development and https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design
[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindows
[3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GenericBuildingHints
[4] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/EasyHacks
[5] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC
[6] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas

On 15.02.2018 18:33, Vishal Karodia wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I've been trying to get started to open source for some months. It would be great if you could guide me or just tell me where i should start from. I have a GitHub account and know C++ upto file handling and have been using LibreOffice for quite a long time now. I've been thinking of preparing for GSoC 2019 and need this valuable guidance.
>
> Would be great if you reply to this email and help me a little.
>
> Thank You.

Dr. Heiko Tietze
UX designer
Tel. +49 (0)179/1268509

kara kara

Re: Guidance for GSoC

Hi Vishal,

It is good to see that you are interested in LibreOffice development. Welcome! :)

C++ is mostly what you need for core development. We don't use github for the development workflow; we just keep a mirror there. Everything you need to get started with LibreOffice development is here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GetInvolved

Cheers,
Muhammet