Happy Birthday, TDF!

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Happy Birthday, TDF!

Dear community,

allow me some personal words on this very special day:

Happy Birthday, Document Foundation!

It's unbelievable that it's already been two years. Two years to the
day, The Document Foundation (TDF) was created as a stable, safe,
secure, independent and longlasting entity, by the community, for the
community, with strong values and ideals. Two years later, the
LibreOffice community is one of the most vivid, valued and recognized
free software projects, with truly wonderful and fantastic friends and
contributors around the world, and has grown way beyond our dreams.

I would like to personally thank all of you for making possible what
looked impossible two years ago - you all truly rock, and all of you
made TDF what it is today.

I'm very proud and truly honoured to be part of this project, and to
have been given a chance to shape it from the very beginning. It has
been an interesting, exciting and unforgettable time for me, and I am
looking forward to the next years, because a bright future is ahead of us.

The new board, who will be on duty from tomorrow on, I wish all the very
best for guiding TDF through the next two years. I am more than
confident that we have wonderfully experienced, engaged and highly
motivated contributors, who will take the right decisions at the right
time to the very best of our community.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Happy Birthday, TDF!

[hidden email]>:

> Dear community,
>
> allow me some personal words on this very special day:
>
> Happy Birthday, Document Foundation!
>
> It's unbelievable that it's already been two years. Two years to the day,
> The Document Foundation (TDF) was created as a stable, safe, secure,
> independent and longlasting entity, by the community, for the community,
> with strong values and ideals. Two years later, the LibreOffice community
> is one of the most vivid, valued and recognized free software projects,
> with truly wonderful and fantastic friends and contributors around the
> world, and has grown way beyond our dreams.
>
> I would like to personally thank all of you for making possible what
> looked impossible two years ago - you all truly rock, and all of you made
> TDF what it is today.
>
> I'm very proud and truly honoured to be part of this project, and to have
> been given a chance to shape it from the very beginning. It has been an
> interesting, exciting and unforgettable time for me, and I am looking
> forward to the next years, because a bright future is ahead of us.
>
> The new board, who will be on duty from tomorrow on, I wish all the very
> best for guiding TDF through the next two years. I am more than confident
> that we have wonderfully experienced, engaged and highly motivated
> contributors, who will take the right decisions at the right time to the
> very best of our community.
>
> Florian

​Many thanks to you, Florian, and to all those who have made TDF such a
success !...

Henri​

Jens Mildner Jens Mildner

Re: Happy Birthday, TDF!

Florian Effenberger wrote
Happy Birthday, Document Foundation!
Congratulations from my side, too! It's a pleasure to watch TDF grow and prosper.

But with TDF leaving its infancy, and a new board stepping up to continue the success story, maybe it's time to share a thought or two about the future.

For me, there's two key points within TDF:

First is independence, the way the foundation is set up, the hard-coded mixture rules for TDF's bodies, the democratic process, the donation-only funding (combined with a careful financial planning and only-spend-what-you-have attitude). Especially when I look at the other big non-profit entity aiming at software for end users, Mozilla, I get the strong gut feeling (without doing deeper research) that this independence is pure gold, and needs to be preserved no matter the cost.

The second point is transparency, which is key for building the trust necessary to make donation-based funding models work, and therefore is key for TDF's independence, too. I'm not only talking about transparency of the decision-making process here, but also about financial transparency, development transparency, and so forth.

And while TDF is already strong at both independence and transparency, it could still be better. So I suggest the following things:

1) Official statement of affiliation by every member of any official body of TDF, if there's none already present.

2) TDF becoming a member of the "Initiative Transparente Zivilgesellschaft" by Transparency Deutschland e. V., adhering to its 10-point code of conduct. [1]

Having said that, I also think that TDF should broaden its scope of software development to truly "free" the desktop. In its values, it is stated that TDF commits to "eliminate the digital divide in society by giving everyone access to office productivity tools free of charge to enable them to participate as full citizens in the 21st century". Personally, I think that things like a browser, email client, and personal information manager should also be considered as being "office productivity tools", and therefore should be offered by TDF in the long run, too.

This is even more true when I look at the current market for these kinds of software. I've read many times that the one big thing missing from OOo/LO is an Outlook replacement, which would be a combined email client/PIM thingie. And with Mozilla going into development directions that I call ambiguous at best, the question about which browser to use on Windows could be hard to answer in the not too distant future.

So, two years of TDF is surely a time to celebrate, but probably also a time for discussing the course to a future even brighter.

All the best,
Jens Mildner

[1] http://www.transparency.de/Initiative-Transparente-Zivilg.1612.0.html
mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Happy Birthday, TDF!

> [...]
> things like a browser, email client, and personal information manager
> should
> also be considered as being "office productivity tools", and therefore
> should be offered by TDF in the long run, too.
>
> This is even more true when I look at the current market for these kinds of
> software. I've read many times that the one big thing missing from OOo/LO
> is
> an Outlook replacement, which would be a combined email client/PIM thingie.
> And with Mozilla going into development directions that I call ambiguous at
> best, the question about which browser to use on Windows could be hard to
> answer in the not too distant future.
>
> So, two years of TDF is surely a time to celebrate, but probably also a
> time
> for discussing the course to a future even brighter.

​Contrary to Jens' point of view as expressed above, I'd like to suggest
that, at least for the near future, TDF confines its activities to working​

​to provide «everyone
access to office productivity tools free of charge», in accordance with
its​ statutes. This, which entails battling against Microsoft's entrenched
quasi-monopoly, is a more than sufficiently daunting task, which will
require all the efforts of which we are capable. Email clients, which in an
age in which people are continually connected to the internet, are of minor
use, are beyond its purview. Those who wish to use one can employ
Thunderbird....

Rather than do many things poorly, let us do one thing well !...

Henri

mike schinagl mike schinagl

Re: Happy Birthday, TDF!

Dear Jens,

you are very right about this, it has been decided by the board for a while ago
(http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/BoD-tasks-as-of-2012-12-11-td4023703.html). Too many tasks were on the boards desk
so it was delayed but certainly not forgotten. I am certain it will happen soon.

Actually other German entities in the legal form of a "Stiftung" consider doing so too and have certainly be advised to:

http://www.stiftungen.org/fileadmin/bvds/de/Termine_und_Vernetzung/Foren/Forum_Stiftungskommunikation/Berlin_2012/2012_Stiko_Schinagl_Rechtsrahmen.pdf

Cheers Mike

--
The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, D-10707 Berlin, Germany