Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Next » 12
V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

This post was updated on .
If folks have not been paying attention, there has been sufficient movement in the project to warrant a 5.0 branding of the next major release.

From the Release plan

5.0.0 (freeze: week 21) Week 16 , Apr 13, 2015 - Apr 19, 2015 Week 31 , Jul 27, 2015 - Aug 2, 2015

The development master will be branched to a 5.0.0alpha0 effective next week.

New to 5.0 will be a true 64-bit Windows build (for Windows >= Vista), follow other tidbits in the evolving LibreOffice 5.0 release notes.

What is needed from the community now, are your artistic talents. It is time for a new motif for 5.0, here is a progression of our StartCenter from 3.3 to current builds of master (pre-5.0).  As can be seen, the color scheme is a bit stale.

So, break out your graphics packages and draw.  There is a stub for any proposals in the Design Wiki Whiteboards at: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding

Hope to see your work there!

Stuart

A historical look at LibreOffice's start center...

3.3 release

3.4 release

3.5 release

3.6 release

4.0 release

4.1 release

4.2 release

4.3 release

4.4 release

5.0 alpha0 master builds

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Well that didn't go as planned, Nabble ate the images--here they are one at a time...

3.3 release

3.4release

3.5 release

3.6 release
V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

4.0 release

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

4.1 release

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

4.2 release

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

4.3 release

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

4.4 release

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Current build of master 5.0... with Breeze icons

Breeze icons may or may not end up on the StartCenter panel--we need that design and layout discusion to occur.

Feel free to contribute...

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding

Stuart
jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Hi all:

        As Mr. V Stuart Foote request, I gave me too an oportunity to design a
DashBoard (Known as WhiteBoard) that I suggest to you and to the Libre
Office community and it would be apreciate by you and could be selected
it as official LOWB.

        This is the link where the file would be to get:

20WhiteBoard-LibreOffice%205.png?dl=0

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El vie, 10-04-2015 a las 19:20 -0700, V Stuart Foote escribió:

> Current build of master 5.0... with Breeze icons
>
> <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4145916/5.png>
>
> Breeze icons may or may not end up on the StartCenter panel--we need that
> design and layout discusion to occur.
>
> Feel free to contribute...
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding
>
> Stuart

Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Jorge Rodríguez

Thank you for submitting.

I've uploaded your proposed StartCenter mockup to the Wiki--please log-in there (create an account if you do not already have one) and adjust the licensing and description for your artwork.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding

Also, please consider that in your mockup, you appear to have eliminated the thumbnail view of recently used documents. That is a critical design element that can not be removed.  So, your design needs additional work.

You'll need to rework  your mockup to show where thumbnail views and templates would be presented.

Stuart
jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Hi Stuart and all:

        Thank you very much. I'm not shure about what the meaning of
"thumbnail" in this case ... would you please explain me or somebody
else ?

        Of curse I'm going to rework with templates and thumbnail and licensing
and description for my artwork with pleasure, and create the account.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El dom, 12-04-2015 a las 10:42 -0700, V Stuart Foote escribió:

> Jorge Rodríguez
>
> Thank you for submitting.
>
> I've uploaded your proposed StartCenter mockup to the Wiki--please log-in
> there (create an account if you do not already have one) and adjust the
> licensing and description for your artwork.
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/5.0_Branding
>
> Also, please consider that in your mockup, you appear to have eliminated the
> thumbnail view of recently used documents. That is a critical design element
> that can not be removed.  So, your design needs additional work.
>
> You'll need to rework  your mockup to show where thumbnail views and
> templates would be presented.
>
> Stuart

Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

The thumbnail views are iconic representations of the documents that have recently been opened and are listed on the File -> Recent Documents listing.

As circled in red in this screen clip...
Clip of the StartCenter with Thumbnail views of recent documents
TomD TomD

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Hi :)
I think, but i could easily be wrong, that there is not much point in
taking the mock-up much further.

I think people can see enough of the concept from what is there already and
i'm sure a lot of people would have input tweaking this-or-that detail.
Also i suspect that TDF probably wouldn't want to go in this direction for
the main theming of LO - although i suspect that it would make an extremely
popular theme to add to LO.

On 13 April 2015 at 04:29, V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The thumbnail views are iconic representations of the documents that have
> recently been opened and are listed on the File -> Recent Documents
> listing.
>
> As circled in red in this screen clip...
> <
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4146081/StartCenter_master_with_recentDocumentThumbnailViews.jpg

wdrago wdrago

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

The thumbnail view of recently used docs is one of the
things that I LOVE about LibreOffice. To hear that it is a
"critical design element
that can not be removed" is wonderful news to me.

Thanks,
-Bill

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

William wrote:

>To hear that it is a "critical design element that can nit be removed" is wonderful news to me.

For some of us, those thumbnails are a security flaw.

Jonathon
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

jonathon-4 wrote
For some of us, those thumbnails are a security flaw.
And all cleared with a single menu button click.  So, it never has been a flaw--rather as designed ;-)

Otherwise, hoping to see some great artwork and visual design suggestions from the user community.

Stuart

TomD TomD

Re: Heads up -- LibreOffice 5.0 is on the horizion

Hi :)
+1
Also hoping we get some other new great themes developing as a side-effect
but i think the focus needs to be on the opportunity at hand.

Thanks Jorge, for setting the bar so high! :)

On 13 April 2015 at 15:31, V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:

> jonathon-4 wrote
> > For some of us, those thumbnails are a security flaw.
>
> And all cleared with a single menu button click.  So, it never has been a
> flaw--rather as designed ;-)
>
> Otherwise, hoping to see some great artwork and visual design suggestions
> from the user community.
>
> Stuart

Next » 12