Hello everyone.

King Duck King Duck

Hello everyone.

I joined this list a while ago, but I never formally introduced myself. My
name is Maggie Tagoe. I am a recent graduate who is interested in user
design. I haven't been participating much, but I would like to help out as
much as possible. I don't have much formal experience with designing user
interfaces but I am willing to learn.

King Duck King Duck

Hello everyone.

I joined this list a while ago, but I never really introduced myself. My
name is Margaret Tagoe. I have been lurking here, but I have not had time
to participate. I am interested in user design and while my experience is
limited I would like to help out as much as I can. I am willing to learn
what I need so that I help out.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Ignore my previous message. I thought my first message got blocked out. I'm
sorry.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM, King Duck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I joined this list a while ago, but I never really introduced myself. My
> name is Margaret Tagoe. I have been lurking here, but I have not had time
> to participate. I am interested in user design and while my experience is
> limited I would like to help out as much as I can. I am willing to learn
> what I need so that I help out.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

great to have you here :).
What are you interested in in particular? Have you looked at our
Whiteboards section already to see if you want to finish any of the
things listed there? Or do you have other things in mind?

Astron.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie!

Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2012, 13:08 +0100 schrieb Stefan Knorr
(Astron):
> Hi Maggie,
>
> great to have you here :).
> What are you interested in in particular? Have you looked at our
> Whiteboards section already to see if you want to finish any of the
> things listed there? Or do you have other things in mind?

Also from my side a warm welcome ... I hope you'll find what you're
searching for. So if you like to do something good for our users, there
is plenty of stuff to have a look at.

One question: you say you're a "recent graduate" - are your studies
related to usability, UX, or similar stuff?

Cheers,
Christoph

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Christoph,

Sorry, it has been awhile. I have been tied up in my personal life.
I have skimmed the whiteboards. I saw a project about the Bug Submission
section of the web page on the Kick-Off section of your wiki. I would like
to work on that if possible. My major was Information Science as an
undergrad. It didn't directly deal with UX/user design but I am familiar
with a few of the basics.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Maggie!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2012, 13:08 +0100 schrieb Stefan Knorr
> (Astron):
> > Hi Maggie,
> >
> > great to have you here :).
> > What are you interested in in particular? Have you looked at our
> > Whiteboards section already to see if you want to finish any of the
> > things listed there? Or do you have other things in mind?
>
> Also from my side a warm welcome ... I hope you'll find what you're
> searching for. So if you like to do something good for our users, there
> is plenty of stuff to have a look at.
>
> One question: you say you're a "recent graduate" - are your studies
> related to usability, UX, or similar stuff?
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

> I have skimmed the whiteboards. I saw a project about the Bug Submission
> section of the web page on the Kick-Off section of your wiki. I would like
> to work on that if possible.

By any chance, do you mean this:
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/ ?

Astron.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Stefan,
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Work_Items
In the first row, I saw an entry about the Bug Submission Assignment web
page? Would that be the same as this:
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maggie,
>
> > I have skimmed the whiteboards. I saw a project about the Bug Submission
> > section of the web page on the Kick-Off section of your wiki. I would
> like
> > to work on that if possible.
>
> By any chance, do you mean this:
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/ ?
>
> Astron.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

> Would that be the same as this:
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

Yes. However, there are still many things that are left to be worked
on, see here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant_-_ToDo#Next_Things_To_Be_Done

I don't know how firm your grasp of web design matters is, but anyway,
if you want to jump right in, see here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website/tree/bug

Else, of course, I guess Mockups etc on how to add functionality are
welcomed just as much.

Astron.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Alright. If you need an idea of my experience, here's my web page. It's a
bit rough though. I'm going to look at what you need done and see what I
can do.
www.ctrlaltm.com

~ Maggie

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maggie,
>
> > Would that be the same as this:
> > https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/
>
> Yes. However, there are still many things that are left to be worked
> on, see here:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant_-_ToDo#Next_Things_To_Be_Done
>
> I don't know how firm your grasp of web design matters is, but anyway,
> if you want to jump right in, see here:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website/tree/bug
>
> Else, of course, I guess Mockups etc on how to add functionality are
> welcomed just as much.
>
> Astron.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

do you already have git set up/cloned the website repo? Do you need
help with that?
Cool that you look into stuff!

Astron.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

I'm not sure what git is. Is it a kind of toolkit? And where can I get the
website repository?

~ Maggie

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maggie,
>
> do you already have git set up/cloned the website repo? Do you need
> help with that?
> Cool that you look into stuff!
>
> Astron.

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

git is a version-control system. It was first developed for the Linux
and LibreOffice uses it too.

Here's an overview of all the repos libreoffice consists of:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice

This page explains how to use git for getting the latest source and
building it: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build

In the section "Getting the source" you'd need to replace

git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core with git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website

Kind Regards

Alex

Am 08.03.2012 21:39, schrieb King Duck:

> I'm not sure what git is. Is it a kind of toolkit? And where can I get the
> website repository?
>
> ~ Maggie
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron)<
> [hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Maggie,
>>
>> do you already have git set up/cloned the website repo? Do you need
>> help with that?
>> Cool that you look into stuff!
>>
>> Astron.

>> deleted

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie, Alex,

On 8 March 2012 21:57, Alexander Wilms <[hidden email]> wrote:
> git is a version-control system. It was first developed for the Linux and
> LibreOffice uses it too.

Right. So it's a (better) replacement for things like SVN/CVS/... (The
gist of these tools is that you version a set of files and can easily
see the history of each file or go back to previous versions.)
You can download git from here:

http://git-scm.com/

> Here's an overview of all the repos libreoffice consists of:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice
>
> This page explains how to use git for getting the latest source and building
> it: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build
>
> In the section "Getting the source" you'd need to replace
>
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core with
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website

Thanks Alex. Maggie, please ask if any of that sounds too much like
technobabble. Also, don't let the command line shock you. :)
There are graphical UI's available, like e.g.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/

Hope this helps a bit,

Astron.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Alex and Stefan,

I'm a little confused. I checked the instructions for how to build
Libreoffice. I do not have Cygwin yet but I'm going to download it. Do I
need to get all the git repositories for LibreOffice or just the ones for
the website?

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maggie, Alex,
>

> On 8 March 2012 21:57, Alexander Wilms <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > git is a version-control system. It was first developed for the Linux and
> > LibreOffice uses it too.
>
> Right. So it's a (better) replacement for things like SVN/CVS/... (The
> gist of these tools is that you version a set of files and can easily
> see the history of each file or go back to previous versions.)
> You can download git from here:
>
> http://git-scm.com/
>

> > Here's an overview of all the repos libreoffice consists of:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice
> >
> > This page explains how to use git for getting the latest source and
> building
> > it: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build
> >
> > In the section "Getting the source" you'd need to replace
> >
> > git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core with
> > git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website
>
> Thanks Alex. Maggie, please ask if any of that sounds too much like
> technobabble. Also, don't let the command line shock you. :)
> There are graphical UI's available, like e.g.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/
>
> Hope this helps a bit,
>
> Astron.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

> I'm a little confused. I checked the instructions for how to build
> Libreoffice.

You do not need to build LibreOffice in order to work on the website.
You also do not need Cygwin to work on the website. For working on the
website, you only need the website repository. After installing Git,
you should have a Git GUI link in your start menu. Start that, click
on Clone existing repository, use
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website
for Source Location, as the Target Directory use something like
C:\Users\(name)\git\ . Click on Clone, then wait some time.
Afterwards, use a file manager to navigate to the target directory.
Under "bug," you'll find the bug submission assistant.

You can also use the Git GUI tool to create a "commit" (i. e. a
versioned code change/"changeset"): for that, do the change in a
change using e.g. a text editor, then in Git GUI,  click Rescan, next
Change Stage (on the command line that would be: "git add ."), enter a
commit message and then click Commit (= "git commit").

However, if you'd rather work on mock-ups first, that's of course fine, too!

(If you still want to build LibreOffice: the recommendation is to do
that on Linux, as it is reasonably easy there. On Windows, getting to
a successful build can mean a lot of hit and miss and thus take some
time.)

Astron.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Alex and Stefan,

Okay, I'm trying to install Git. I downloaded this version from here:
http://git-scm.com/download

I have a Windows machine so I picked the binary with Cygwin (not sure if
that's the right one)
So I get to the installer and then I see a bunch of packages. It reminded
me of package managers like Synaptic and Adept with each package being
under various categories. I tried checking the manual and looking at the
tutorials offered but I decided to just give in and ask. Should I just skip
the Select Packages of the installer and continue on?

~ Maggie

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maggie,
>
> > I'm a little confused. I checked the instructions for how to build
> > Libreoffice.
>
> You do not need to build LibreOffice in order to work on the website.
> You also do not need Cygwin to work on the website. For working on the
> website, you only need the website repository. After installing Git,
> you should have a Git GUI link in your start menu. Start that, click
> on Clone existing repository, use
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website
> for Source Location, as the Target Directory use something like
> C:\Users\(name)\git\ . Click on Clone, then wait some time.
> Afterwards, use a file manager to navigate to the target directory.
> Under "bug," you'll find the bug submission assistant.
>
> You can also use the Git GUI tool to create a "commit" (i. e. a
> versioned code change/"changeset"): for that, do the change in a
> change using e.g. a text editor, then in Git GUI,  click Rescan, next
> Change Stage (on the command line that would be: "git add ."), enter a
> commit message and then click Commit (= "git commit").
>
> However, if you'd rather work on mock-ups first, that's of course fine,
> too!
>

> (If you still want to build LibreOffice: the recommendation is to do
> that on Linux, as it is reasonably easy there. On Windows, getting to
> a successful build can mean a lot of hit and miss and thus take some
> time.)
>
> Astron.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Hello everyone.

Hi Maggie,

> I have a Windows machine so I picked the binary with Cygwin (not sure if
> that's the right one)

Which of the two version you use is up to you.
Yet, it's odd that they're listing the Cygwin version first on this
page (they link to MSYS Git from their homepage). Using the MSYS
version saves you the hassle with Cygwin (you can use the first
download listed on the MSYS Git page).

> So I get to the installer and then I see a bunch of packages. It reminded
> me of package managers like Synaptic and Adept with each package being
> under various categories.

Right, Cygwin does some package management.
If you want to use Cygwin: Look in the devel category, there you
should find several entries that start with git, just install all of
them (maybe except git-svn, you definitely won't need that for LibO).
Click on the Skip icon, this should should change to a cross to
signify that this package will be dowloaded. All the recommended
downloads will be marked automatically.

Astron.

King Duck King Duck

Re: Hello everyone.

Stefan,
I decided to go with the MYSYS Git. Thanks for the help again. I'm going to
try using the current bug submission agent so I can get an idea of how it
works. I'm also going to take a closer look at the To-Do list you showed me
in the earlier messages.
~ Maggie