Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

csanyipal csanyipal

Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

Hi,

is there a way to highlight in a text in Writer just nouns in an English text besides manually select nouns?

I mean is there such a tool to highlight just nouns with one click?

Or can I create a macro for this job?
Best Regards from
Pál
Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

At 11:21 29/07/2017 -0700, Csanyi Pál wrote:
>is there a way to highlight in a text in Writer
>just nouns in an English text besides manually
>select nouns? I mean is there such a tool to
>highlight just nouns with one click? Or can I create a macro for this job?

This may be a more complicated task that you
imagine. Many words - in the sense of a
particular strings of letters - may exist as
words as more than one part of speech. If you
detected nouns by looking words up in a
dictionary of nouns, you would also catch many
occurrences of words that were spelled
identically to nouns but were actually serving
as, say, verbs or adjectives in your text. In
other words, you would need something that could
reliably analyse the grammar of your text in
order to detect whether the relevant words were
being used as nouns or as something else in each occurrence.

For example, the short text of your own enquiry
above has a number of words whose parts of speech
could be misinterpreted without grammatical
analysis. There are some words which are nouns in
your text but which could also be other parts of speech:
click: could also be a verb
job: could also be a verb
macro: could also be an adjective
text: could also be a verb
tool: could also be a verb
way: could also be an adverb

And there are words which are not nouns in your
text but which could be in another context (so
would be detected as false positives):
can: a verb in your text but can also be a noun
English: a verb in your text but can also be a noun (or adjective)
highlight: a verb in your text but can also be a noun
mean: a verb in your text but can also be a noun (or adjective)
one: an adjective (determiner) in your text but can also be a noun

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

Hi Pál,

csanyipal schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to highlight in a text in Writer just nouns in an English
> text besides manually select nouns?

No, such tool does not exist.

What do you expect, such tool would do with the word "down"?

> I mean is there such a tool to highlight just nouns with one click?
>
> Or can I create a macro for this job?

Perhaps it is possible using the thesaurus. If you get only (noun) as
type there, then it is likely a noun and you can mark it. But I don't
know, how to use the thesaurus via macro.

Kind regards
Regina

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 20:12:01 +0100
Brian Barker <[hidden email]> dijo:

>At 11:21 29/07/2017 -0700, Csanyi Pál wrote:
>>is there a way to highlight in a text in Writer
>>just nouns in an English text besides manually
>>select nouns? I mean is there such a tool to
>>highlight just nouns with one click? Or can I create a macro for this
>>job?
>
>This may be a more complicated task that you
>imagine. Many words - in the sense of a
>particular strings of letters - may exist as
>words as more than one part of speech. If you
>detected nouns by looking words up in a
>dictionary of nouns, you would also catch many
>occurrences of words that were spelled
>identically to nouns but were actually serving
>as, say, verbs or adjectives in your text.

English speakers can verb anything.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 22:28 29/07/2017 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>English speakers can verb anything.

Indeed. I resisted the temptation to include "nouns" in my list from
the text as a possible (third person singular) verb.

Brian Barker

csanyipal csanyipal

Re: Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

Hi Brian,

I understand your arguments.

I think this is at the moment impossible, even with the use of the thesaurus, as Regina mentioned.

But one day in the near(?) future there will be an AI agent, "who" can help me in this. Right?
Best Regards from
Pál
Tony Arnold Tony Arnold

Re: Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

Pál,

On Sun, 2017-07-30 at 02:35 -0700, csanyipal wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I understand your arguments.
>
> I think this is at the moment impossible, even with the use of the
> thesaurus, as Regina mentioned.
>
> But one day in the near(?) future there will be an AI agent, "who"
> can help
> me in this. Right?

By then the AI agent could probably write the documents for you!!!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039
csanyipal csanyipal

Re: Highlighting nouns in LibreOffice Writer?

Tony,

> Pál,
>
> On Sun, 2017-07-30 at 02:35 -0700, csanyipal wrote:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> I understand your arguments.
>>
>> I think this is at the moment impossible, even with the use of the
>> thesaurus, as Regina mentioned.
>>
>> But one day in the near(?) future there will be an AI agent, "who"
>> can help
>> me in this. Right?
>>

> By then the AI agent could probably write the documents for you!!!
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

In the meantime, I'll name the nouns myself in the LibreOffice Writer.

--
Best, Pali

Best Regards from
Pál
Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 02:35 30/07/2017 -0700, Csanyi Pál wrote:
>I understand your arguments. I think this is at
>the moment impossible, even with the use of the
>thesaurus, as Regina mentioned. But one day in
>the near(?) future there will be an AI agent, "who" can help me in this. Right?

Indeed so. It is already the case, of course,
that grammar checkers exist for various word
processors - and they must effectively need to
detect the part of speech of each word in order
to do their work. Grammar checkers are currently
not perfect, though. Try "Time flies like an
arrow; fruit flies like a banana": despite their
apparent similarity, one of those "flies" is a verb, the other a noun.

Brian Barker

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 30 July 2017 2:35:07 AM GMT-07:00, csanyipal  wrote:

>I think this is at the moment impossible,

Such critters are available for other software.

Fot LibO, the simplest approach would be to roll it into an extension, a la Language Tool's N-Gram component.

It would use its own database, -- sqlite, IIRC --- and it is large --- 25+ GB for English.

jonathon
--
Using LibreOffice in a Multi-lingual Environment

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 30 July 2017 2:40:32 AM GMT-07:00, Tony Arnold wrote:

>By then the AI agent could probably write the documents for you!!!

I've forgotten the name of the British newspaper mongol that has started replacing sports writers with bots.

About five years ago, a company in the US started selling software for preachers. You gave it the lectionary reading of the day, and it spat out an original three point sermon.

jonathon
--
Using LibreOffice in a Multi-lingual Environment

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Brian Barker wrote:

> At 02:35 30/07/2017 -0700, Csanyi Pál wrote:
>> I understand your arguments. I think this is at the moment
>> impossible, even with the use of the thesaurus, as Regina
>> mentioned. But one day in the near(?) future there will be an AI
>> agent, "who" can help me in this. Right?
>
> Indeed so. It is already the case, of course, that grammar checkers
> exist for various word processors - and they must effectively need
> to detect the part of speech of each word in order to do their work.
> Grammar checkers are currently not perfect, though. Try "Time flies
> like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana": despite their apparent
> similarity, one of those "flies" is a verb, the other a noun.

I'm not sure what "time flies" are (perhaps something from a sci-fi
novel?), but fruit does indeed fly like a banana... ;o)

--
Mark.