How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to the Android Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Next » 12
Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to the Android Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Hello,

just wondering, how difficult is it to port LibreOffice to the Android
Tablets?
Is there any plan already?

Cheers!

Jaime

Robert Nagy Robert Nagy

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to the Android Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

If gtk is available on Android then it would not be that hard, otherwise
the whole UI has to be ported to what Android is using.

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

On 3/3/11 11:21 AM, Jaime R. Garza wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just wondering, how difficult is it to port LibreOffice to the Android
> Tablets?
> Is there any plan already?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Jaime

Seeing as android is linux based, i honestly dont think it would be that
hard. I think the hardest part would be getting LO to work with the
android SDK.

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to the Android Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

I know there is already an Alpha QT port for Android, but I don't know of a
GTK port.

Anyone know something about this?

If LibreOffice runs in the Android Tablet, that would be a defining factor
for the future!! I belive, this should be taken as high priority!!

Cheers!

Jaime

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:35, Robert Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If gtk is available on Android then it would not be that hard, otherwise
> the whole UI has to be ported to what Android is using.
>
> On (2011-03-03 11:21), Jaime R. Garza wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > just wondering, how difficult is it to port LibreOffice to the Android
> > Tablets?
> > Is there any plan already?
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Jaime

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to the Android Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

The technical side, I am not sure about. But the strategic value is very clear.

James Allworth, a blogger at the Harvard Business School, wrote recently about the coming paradigm shift in computing through the lens of this year's Consumer Electronics Show: "We will be able to look back and say that this was the CES that saw Wintel fall and Armdroid rise up."

I put together some quotes and thoughts of mine on the subject here:

http://www.solidoffice.com/2011/02/will-tablets-replace-pcs/

We've talked about LibreOffice and ODF editing on Android and iOS before, but I agree that we need to find a way to actually build it. Do we have developers who would like to work on this? Business people who'd like to work on business plans? (Something like this might be able to seek outside funding to get it off the ground...)

Jaime--I suggest documenting your idea more thoroughly on our wiki here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Crazy_Ideas/Future_Platforms

Thanks,
Ben

On Mar 3, 2011, at 5:47 AM, Jaime R. Garza wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know there is already an Alpha QT port for Android, but I don't know of a
> GTK port.
>
> Anyone know something about this?
>
> If LibreOffice runs in the Android Tablet, that would be a defining factor
> for the future!! I belive, this should be taken as high priority!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Jaime
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:35, Robert Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If gtk is available on Android then it would not be that hard, otherwise
>> the whole UI has to be ported to what Android is using.
>>
>> On (2011-03-03 11:21), Jaime R. Garza wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> just wondering, how difficult is it to port LibreOffice to the Android
>>> Tablets?
>>> Is there any plan already?
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Jaime
>>>
>>> --

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

Chaosun Chaosun

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Well, I had a quite long chat with tml_ regarding the porting to Android issue. The truth is that we are planning to have a try. However the workload is tremendous due to the loss of UI. Also to fit the platform, we need a complete redesign on UE.

The possible works would be:

1. Get rid of all the UI related modules such as vcl, sfx2, framework and corresponding services etc.
2. A engine like LibreOffice, no UI, only provides APIs for further development.
3. Create a UI for multitouch devices
Just name a few. no one is a easy work. Also, I'd like to hear from you. Please do advice!

Regards
Chao

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

In my humble opinion it will be great to have the UI separated from all the
rest. Think of WebKit in the Browser! That would allow to have a QT UI, a
GTK UI, a Multitouch UI, etc.

mirek2 mirek2

2011/3/4 Jaime R. Garza <[hidden email]>

> In my humble opinion it will be great to have the UI separated from all the
> rest. Think of WebKit in the Browser! That would allow to have a QT UI, a
> GTK UI, a Multitouch UI, etc.

There are two projects already underway with this goal in mind:
WebODF<http://www.webodf.org/>and
ODFKit <http://gitorious.org/odfkit> (WebODF seems to be an evolution of
ODFKit, and although it uses web technologies, it's still suitable for
desktop and mobile applications).

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 02:52, Chaosun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Well, I had a quite long chat with tml_ regarding the porting to Android
> > issue. The truth is that we are planning to have a try. However the
> workload
> > is tremendous due to the loss of UI. Also to fit the platform, we need a
> > complete redesign on UE.
> >
> > The possible works would be:
> >
> > 1. Get rid of all the UI related modules such as vcl, sfx2, framework and
> > corresponding services etc.
> > 2. A engine like LibreOffice, no UI, only provides APIs for further
> > development.
> > 3. Create a UI for multitouch devices
> > Just name a few. no one is a easy work. Also, I'd like to hear from you.
> > Please do advice!
> >
> > Regards
> > Chao

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Hello Mirek,

Thanks for the infos but they are not under "The Document Foundation"
umbrella, are they? will they? could they?

Cheers!

Jaime

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Hello Mirek,

now that I read in detail, both are only viewers, I'm talking about Office
Suite functionality, not only viewers.

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Chaosun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I had a quite long chat with tml_ regarding the porting to Android
> issue. The truth is that we are planning to have a try. However the workload
> is tremendous due to the loss of UI. Also to fit the platform, we need a
> complete redesign on UE.
>
> The possible works would be:
>
> 1. Get rid of all the UI related modules such as vcl, sfx2, framework and
> corresponding services etc.
> 2. A engine like LibreOffice, no UI, only provides APIs for further
> development.
> 3. Create a UI for multitouch devices
> Just name a few. no one is a easy work. Also, I'd like to hear from you.
> Please do advice!

If you going to get rid of all that, what is the difference of just making
an Android native office suite and borrow the code whenever seen fit. Don't
you think?

> Regards
> Chao

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:11 AM, Jaime R. Garza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Mirek,
>
> now that I read in detail, both are only viewers, I'm talking about Office
> Suite functionality, not only viewers.

A writer is only an XML editor which might not be as different of any
semantic language editor that can save as a ZIP file. ODFToolkit has stuff
that can generate documents, slaping a native UI to it shhould be easier
than stripping everything from OOo.

However, I would rather see some code, and not just ideas. My question is
when will u launch a proof of concept, or at least try?

> Cheers!
>
> Jaime
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:56, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 2011/3/4 Jaime R. Garza <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > In my humble opinion it will be great to have the UI separated from all
> > the
> > > rest. Think of WebKit in the Browser! That would allow to have a QT UI,
> > > GTK UI, a Multitouch UI, etc.
> > >

> > There are two projects already underway with this goal in mind:
> > WebODF<http://www.webodf.org/>and
> > ODFKit <http://gitorious.org/odfkit> (WebODF seems to be an evolution of
> > ODFKit, and although it uses web technologies, it's still suitable for
> > desktop and mobile applications).

> > Android
> > > workload
> need

> > and
> > you.

> > [hidden email]
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
> > > *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
> > >

> > --

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Inge Wallin Inge Wallin

On Friday, March 04, 2011 11:56:09 Mirek M. wrote:

> 2011/3/4 Jaime R. Garza <[hidden email]>
>
> > In my humble opinion it will be great to have the UI separated from all
> > the rest. Think of WebKit in the Browser! That would allow to have a QT
> > UI, a GTK UI, a Multitouch UI, etc.
>
> There are two projects already underway with this goal in mind:
> WebODF<http://www.webodf.org/>and
> ODFKit <http://gitorious.org/odfkit> (WebODF seems to be an evolution of
> ODFKit, and although it uses web technologies, it's still suitable for
> desktop and mobile applications).

I think I can shed some light on this.

OdfKit is indeed intended to be the WebKit of ODF.  Those of you who attended
the OOo conference in Orvieto maybe remembers my presentation of the idea
there. Since then we (KO GmbH) got funding from Nlnet to implement the idea.

WebODF is more or less OdfKit applied to javascript.  There is an
implementation of an odf viewer with some limited editing capabilities. The
way it works is that it reads the odf file, unzips it in javascript and then
stores the data from content.xml into the browser document DOM. Then it does
some clever rewriting of the ODF styles into CSS and applies that to the DOM.
Since not long ago, it can also save back, thus achieving roundtripping.  See
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4393 for more info.

However...

These are not yet mature products.  If you want something more mature, look at
the Calligra Suite, formerly KOffice.  Over the last 2 years, we have achieved
a clear separation into what we call the Office Engine and the user
interfaces.  So far we have a desktop interface which is not enough mature (we
just started to modernize it since the break from KOffice) and an interface
for the Nokia N900 mobile phone running Maemo 5. Other user interfaces are
being worked on but are not yet released, including ones for tablets.  Qt
Quick really is a marvellous technology that lets us do new user interfaces
really quickly. I think you should have a serious look at it if you want to
pursue the idea of LibO on Android further.

To read more about Calligra, go to http://www.calligra-suite.org/.
Unfortunately there is not much there yet about the Office Engine or the
mobile UI.  We will update the website in the next few weeks to make it better
reflect the reality.

Also, the Calligra team will have a developer sprint at the beginning of April
in Berlin.  It would be wonderful if somebody from LibreOffice could come and
represent you.  I know there are several issues that we could cooperate on.
Some that come immediately to mind are:
 - Test suites
 - How to store data that are not defined in ODF from converted MS Office
files in ODF files so that we can improve roundtrip performance.
 - Default values for colors, etc for properties that are undefined in ODF
styles, so that rendering looks the same over different ODF editors.

To find out more, see the page:
http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Meetings/Begin_2011_meeting
If you want more info, just email me in private.

        -Inge

PS.
Sorry to hijack the thread going out on a side branch.

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Hello Alexandro,

The difference is that if you separate all that, then anyone has the freedom
of making their own UI (e.g. QT, GTK, Multitouch, etc.)

If it's not separated, then everything has to be constantly ported or shared
for new versions.

Cheers!

Jaime

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:16, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Chaosun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> If you going to get rid of all that, what is the difference of just making
> an Android native office suite and borrow the code whenever seen fit. Don't
> you think?
>
> > Well, I had a quite long chat with tml_ regarding the porting to Android
> > issue. The truth is that we are planning to have a try. However the
> workload
> > is tremendous due to the loss of UI. Also to fit the platform, we need a
> > complete redesign on UE.
> >
> > The possible works would be:
> >
> > 1. Get rid of all the UI related modules such as vcl, sfx2, framework and
> > corresponding services etc.
> > 2. A engine like LibreOffice, no UI, only provides APIs for further
> > development.
> > 3. Create a UI for multitouch devices
> > Just name a few. no one is a easy work. Also, I'd like to hear from you.
> > Please do advice!
> >

> > Regards
> > Chao
> > --
> > *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
> >

> --
> *Alexandro Colorado*
> *OpenOffice.org* Español
> http://es.openoffice.org

jonathon-2 jonathon-2

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to the Android Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Chaosun Chaosun

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Hello Alexandro,

> However, I would rather see some code, and not just ideas. My question is
> when will u launch a proof of concept, or at least try?

We are typing some code now. However, firstly we need to do the "cross compile" part. And some issues need to address. I've heard the "linux on ARM" has already been done. And if anybody have access to those assembly code.  Or have clue where we should headed, please ring the bell.

Cheers
Chao

On 3/7/11 2:58 PM, Chao Sun wrote:

> Hello Alexandro,
>

>> However, I would rather see some code, and not just ideas. My question is
>> when will u launch a proof of concept, or at least try?
>>
> We are typing some code now. However, firstly we need to do the "cross compile" part. And some issues need to address. I've heard the "linux on ARM" has already been done. And if anybody have access to those assembly code.  Or have clue where we should headed, please ring the bell.
>
> Cheers
> Chao
>

>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Jaime

>>> need

>>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
>>>

>> --
>> *Alexandro Colorado*
>> *OpenOffice.org* Español
>> http://es.openoffice.org

>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Wouldnt cmake come in handy in this case as its a cross platform make?

lj lj

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

It's not all about android what about all the people that use iOS?

Laurence.

On 08/03/2011, at 1:00 AM, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/7/11 2:58 PM, Chao Sun wrote:
>> Hello Alexandro,
>>

>>> However, I would rather see some code, and not just ideas. My question is
>>> when will u launch a proof of concept, or at least try?
>>>
>> We are typing some code now. However, firstly we need to do the "cross compile" part. And some issues need to address. I've heard the "linux on ARM" has already been done. And if anybody have access to those assembly code.  Or have clue where we should headed, please ring the bell.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chao

>>> --
>>> *Alexandro Colorado*
>>> *OpenOffice.org* Español
>>> http://es.openoffice.org
>>>
>>> --
>>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
>>

> Wouldnt cmake come in handy in this case as its a cross platform make?

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

Linux on Arm is not the same as LibreOffice on ARM. My N900 runs Debian
Linux on Arm, but it has X connected to it. Without it, LibO won't run.
Thats the issue we had earlier with OOo on OSX.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Chao Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Alexandro,
>

> > However, I would rather see some code, and not just ideas. My question is
> > when will u launch a proof of concept, or at least try?
> >

> We are typing some code now. However, firstly we need to do the "cross
> compile" part. And some issues need to address. I've heard the "linux on
> ARM" has already been done. And if anybody have access to those assembly
> code.  Or have clue where we should headed, please ring the bell.
>
> Cheers
> Chao
>

> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Jaime

> all
> UI,

> of

> >> need

> >> [hidden email]

> >> --
> >> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
> >>

> > --
> > *Alexandro Colorado*
> > *OpenOffice.org* Español
> > http://es.openoffice.org
> >
> > --

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: How difficult is it to port Libreoffice to theAndroid Tablets? Is there any plan yet?

As I have mentioned before, I think, the best solution would be to make a
HTML5 based LO!

Next » 12