How do add percentage in Calc?

PDA1 PDA1

How do add percentage in Calc?

I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.

Example;

Cell A1 has the number 100

Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%

I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.   That is- 100  +2.9%
(just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing from my input)

How in the world do I do it?

Nino Nino

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

On Friday 02 March 2012, 13:59:50 PDA1 wrote:

> Cell A1 has the number 100
>
> Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%

Enter into A3: =A1+A1*A2

Take care of having a real "number" in A1 and A2 and not a text. Tip: Numbers
are right-aligned, text is left-aligned generally. To make sure, you have a
number in e.g. A2, you should
- enter 0.029
- format the cell as Number/Percent (Format > Cell > Numbers: select
"Percent")

Regards, Nino

"Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka"

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

you can have in a cell A1 or a constant (value 100) or a formula (=
something *(1+a2) )

Best regards Jiri.

Dne 2.3.2012 22:59, PDA1 napsal(a):

> I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.
>
> Example;
>
> Cell A1 has the number 100
>
> Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%
>
> I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.
> That is- 100  +2.9%
> (just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing from my
> input)
>
> How in the world do I do it?

Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

"Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka"

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

Or you can make a macro which makes the calculation and rewrites the
contents of A1
with a new value.
You can trigger the macro every time the value in A2 is changed.
It should be very easy (using recording macro and data validation).

Jiri

Dne 3.3.2012 10:24, "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" napsal(a):

> Hi,
> you can have in a cell A1 or a constant (value 100) or a formula (=
> something *(1+a2) )
>
> Best regards Jiri.
>

> Dne 2.3.2012 22:59, PDA1 napsal(a):
>> I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.
>>
>> Example;
>>
>> Cell A1 has the number 100
>>
>> Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%
>>
>> I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.
>> That is- 100  +2.9%
>> (just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing
>> from my
>> input)
>>
>> How in the world do I do it?

Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

Tom Tom

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

Hi :)
It would be better to use a different cell for the result.  For example
A1 = 100
A2 = 2.9%
A3 = A1 + A2

The problem with trying to make
A1 = A1 + A2
is that if A1 started as 100 and A2 started as 2.9% then as soon as you hit enter
A1 = 102.9 but then it would have to re-calculate because the A1 does not = 100 anymore so A1 = 105.8 but again it has to recalculate ...

It is an iterative function
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterated_function
How many iterations would you want and how fast would you want Calc to run through them?  This is heading towards fractal dimensions and chaos theory.

If you want to explore fractal dimensions and chaos theory then you really need something very different from a spreadsheet such as Calc or Excel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterated_function_system
This game might help explain it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life

The macro idea neatly gets around the problem by allowing a single iteration at a time.  You have to apply it again in order to get the 2nd iteration or subsequent ones.

The question is do you really need to create chaos?  or can you just use a 3rd cell to give the result?

Or you can make a macro which makes the calculation and rewrites the
contents of A1
with a new value.
You can trigger the macro every time the value in A2 is changed.
It should be very easy (using recording macro and data validation).

Jiri

Dne 3.3.2012 10:24, "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" napsal(a):

> Hi,
> you can have in a cell A1 or a constant (value 100) or a formula (=
> something *(1+a2) )
>
> Best regards Jiri.
>

> Dne 2.3.2012 22:59, PDA1 napsal(a):
>> I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.
>>
>> Example;
>>
>> Cell A1 has the number 100
>>
>> Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%
>>
>> I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.
>> That is- 100  +2.9%
>> (just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing
>> from my
>> input)
>>
>> How in the world do I do it?

Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

PDA1 PDA1

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

Thank you, all.

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

Hi:

        I think that you need at least three columns:

A       B C

Number    Result    Percentage

A1  A1*(1+C1)   0.2(For example-with or without percentage format)

        I hope that other user know a better way !

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez
_______________

El vie, 02-03-2012 a las 13:59 -0800, PDA1 escribió:

> I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.
>
> Example;
>
> Cell A1 has the number 100
>
> Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%
>
> I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.
> That is- 100  +2.9%
> (just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing from my
> input)
>
> How in the world do I do it?

Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 13:59 02/03/2012 -0800, Dottie Noname wrote:

>I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.
>
>Example;
>
>Cell A1 has the number 100
>
>Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%
>
>I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.
>That is- 100  +2.9%
>(just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing
>from my input)
>
>How in the world do I do it?

Short answer: you shouldn't!

Think about what happens when you make a mistake in entering data -
or simply have to revise your input.  Suppose you put 3.9% into A2 by
mistake (or that your input elsewhere achieves this effect).  Your
ideal spreadsheet would increase A1 by 3.9%.  Now you correct your
mistake and the value of A2 becomes 2.9%.  This change increases A1
by 2.9%, as you originally wished.  But this will not be an increase
of 2.9% of the original value, but of 2.9% of the already changed
value - a total increase of just over 6.9% - not at all what you
want!  What happens when you have entered more data and you then
discover that some previous entry - not your last - was
incorrect?  Oh, and don't think that you can correct this using Undo:
you would be hard pushed to keep accurate track of what was happening
unless you jotted everything down on paper.

If A2 is indeed calculated from multiple entries elsewhere, it would
be recalculated after individual entries, not just after the full
set.  That cannot be what you would want, either.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

2012/3/2 PDA1 <[hidden email]>:

> I have no idea how to add a percentage to a number in Calc.
>
> Example;
>
> Cell A1 has the number 100
>
> Cell A2 has a percentage- 2.9%
>
> I want to add 2.9% to the number in A1 so that the answer is in cell A1.
> That is- 100  +2.9%
> (just for your reference- the percentage in A2 is always changing from my
> input)
>
> How in the world do I do it?

How do you mean?

1: A1=100, A2=2.9% → A1 changes to 102,9
2: You enter 3% in A2, A1 now changes to what? 103 or 105,987?

If 103, enter 100 in a hidden cell, let's say A3 and then let
A1=A3*(1+A2), or as a constant in A1, that is A1=100*(1+A2).
If you want A1 to change its value by Itself·(1+A2) every time you
enter a new value in A2, then you could use a macro for that, but how
ever you do it, you are very likely to shoot yourself in the foot.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Tom Tom

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

Ahah, now i see the original question it makes more sense! :)  If A1 is going to contain a normal number and A2 a percentage then a 3rd cell such as A3 would be the best place for the answer.  It keeps the original number unchanged so that you can check the result.

In A3 type in the formula given earlier
=A1+(A1*A2/100)

This assumes the number in A2 is just written as a number without having the % mark after it.  There is an inconsistency in that if you type in the number and then
Format - Cell - General - Percentage
then the number would be shown as 290%.  However if you format the relevant cells in advance, in the same way, and then type in the number 2.9 then it shows as 2.9%.  Also if you don't bother with any formatting and just use the % key on your keyboard to type in 2.9% then it is shown as 2.9% in the cell and is treated as a number.  So, obviously it is wise to do a test-run first to see if you get the result you expect.

A percentage is really just a number "over" or "divided by" 100 of course.  So 2.9% is really 2.9/100 which is obviously 0.029.  Typing in 0.029 can cause further confusion of course. lol

2012/3/3 Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:
> Hi :)
> Ahah, now i see the original question it makes more sense! :)  If A1 is going to contain a normal number and A2 a percentage then a 3rd cell such as A3 would be the best place for the answer.  It keeps the original number unchanged so that you can check the result.
>
> In A3 type in the formula given earlier
> =A1+(A1*A2/100)
>
> This assumes the number in A2 is just written as a number without having the % mark after it.  There is an inconsistency in that if you type in the number and then
> Format - Cell - General - Percentage
> then the number would be shown as 290%.  However if you format the relevant cells in advance, in the same way, and then type in the number 2.9 then it shows as 2.9%.  Also if you don't bother with any formatting and just use the % key on your keyboard to type in 2.9% then it is shown as 2.9% in the cell and is treated as a number.  So, obviously it is wise to do a test-run first to see if you get the result you expect.

Oh man, you just made a very simple thing like percent to look very complicated…
It's very easy, most of us learned about it at the age of something
like ten, maybe earlier in some other countries, I don't know.
Just type 100 into A1, then 2.9% into A2 (LibreOffice Calc will
automatically convert it to 2.9/100 for you, but it still shows up as
”2.9%”, which is the same thing anyway), and finally =A1*(1+A2) in A3
and you'll get 102.9 as a result in A3, simple as that.

If you want it to be even more obvious what's going on, enter
=A1*(100%+A2) in A3. 100% will automatically be changed to 1, though,
so you'll get the same =A1*(1+A2) anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Tom Tom

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

Hi :)
It takes skill.  Didn't Isaac Newton write an entire book, a huge tome of a book too, about "1"?

There is an inconsistency which might be worth writing up as a bug-report except that Excel does exactly the same and is possibly useful to some people.

Also some people on this list might not be ten yet (or do ten-year-olds do trig functions and calculus nowadays?) or those of us that are decades older might be too focused on 'higher planes' and not remember stuff like that from school.

> Ahah, now i see the original question it makes more sense! :)  If A1 is going to contain a normal number and A2 a percentage then a 3rd cell such as A3 would be the best place for the answer.  It keeps the original number unchanged so that you can check the result.
>
> In A3 type in the formula given earlier
> =A1+(A1*A2/100)
>
> This assumes the number in A2 is just written as a number without having the % mark after it.  There is an inconsistency in that if you type in the number and then
> Format - Cell - General - Percentage
> then the number would be shown as 290%.  However if you format the relevant cells in advance, in the same way, and then type in the number 2.9 then it shows as 2.9%.  Also if you don't bother with any formatting and just use the % key on your keyboard to type in 2.9% then it is shown as 2.9% in the cell and is treated as a number.  So, obviously it is wise to do a test-run first to see if you get the result you expect.

Oh man, you just made a very simple thing like percent to look very complicated…
It's very easy, most of us learned about it at the age of something
like ten, maybe earlier in some other countries, I don't know.
Just type 100 into A1, then 2.9% into A2 (LibreOffice Calc will
automatically convert it to 2.9/100 for you, but it still shows up as
”2.9%”, which is the same thing anyway), and finally =A1*(1+A2) in A3
and you'll get 102.9 as a result in A3, simple as that.

If you want it to be even more obvious what's going on, enter
=A1*(100%+A2) in A3. 100% will automatically be changed to 1, though,
so you'll get the same =A1*(1+A2) anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> A percentage is really just a number "over" or "divided by" 100 of course.  So 2.9% is really 2.9/100 which is obviously 0.029.  Typing in 0.029 can cause further confusion of course. lol
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

rr rr

Re: How do add percentage in Calc?

I hope this makes sense to you. I can do screen shots or give an example
.ods file.
I wanted to take a fixed dollar amount, an average of percentages and the
dollar amount from the sum of the average.
In other words:
I am given $39,583.73 and based on 4.29% I receive $1,698.50

(Curr. Fmt)  (% FMT)
Column A     Column B                     Column C
               2.30
               3.10
               2.10
               3.10
               4.30
               4.40
               2.20
               13.70
               5.50
               3.70
               2.80

$39,583.73  =AVERAGE(B1:B11)         =SUM(A13*B13)

This example:
Where $39,583.73 is cell A13
Where =AVERAGE(B1:B11) is cell B13 & should display 0.0429090909
Where =SUM(A13*B13) is cell C13 & should display $1,698.50

I right clicked on B13 and selected "remove direct formating".

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 17:33 14/02/2015 +0000, Ronnie Ronly wrote:

>I wanted to take a fixed dollar amount, an average of percentages
>and the dollar amount from the sum of the average. In other words: I
>am given $39,583.73 and based on 4.29% I receive $1,698.50
>
>(Curr. Fmt)  (% FMT)
>Column A     Column B                Column C
>                2.30
>                3.10
>
>$39,583.73  =AVERAGE(B1:B11)   =SUM(A13*B13)

Er, so what is the question, please?

>This example:
>Where $39,583.73 is cell A13

Your currency vales in column A should be entered as numbers, without
the $ sign or the comma (and not as text), and formatted as Currency.
Is that what you have?

>Where =AVERAGE(B1:B11) is cell B13 & should display 0.0429090909

The average of the numbers you have supplied is 4.29, of course, not
0.429 - which is 4.29%. The best way to handle column B is to format
the column *first* as Percent and then enter the values as numbers -
2.30 and so on - so that the display is 2.30% but the actual
numerical value stored will be 0.023 and so on: the actual fractions
that you need. If these were genuinely formatted as Percent you would
see % signs, so it seems that you have not done this.

>Where =SUM(A13*B13) is cell C13 ...

I understand =A13*B13 - but you are trying to sum this with nothing!
SUM() means "add all these up", not just "please do a calculation for
me". Use just =A13*B13 .

>... & should display $1,698.50

If you do as above and format column C (or just cell C13) as
Currency, that is indeed what you should see.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker