How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Next » 1234
krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?


Last night, I was in the middle of a thread on the Linux Users Group on
Facebook.

There was a question in it about wondering how to get the users of Linux
to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word formats.  To me, it came up
when I described a wish to use Linux for a secure computer center/lab.

I double checked and gave him the answer.  I have not thought about how
to do that for years.

So, although the Facebook user group is not a LibreOffice group, there
still is a need to answer LibreOffice questions once in a while. I am
part of it, because of what it is useful for.

Maybe I will look into the LibreOffice Facebook page.



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
James Knott-2 James Knott-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

On 04/29/2018 10:23 AM, Tim-L wrote:
> There was a question in it about wondering how to get the users of
> Linux to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word formats.

Why would we want to, unless we had to?  The whole point of the Open
Document formats was to be a non proprietary method that anyone can
use.  Unlike MS formats, ODF is fully open.  Perhaps you should go to a
site called Groklaw and read about all the nonsense with MS forcing
their new spec through ISO, to make it a standard, when even their own
implementation didn't comply with it.


I use ODF formats unless I have a need to use MS, such as uploading
documents to a web site that does not accept ODF.


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Luuk Luuk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?



On 29-4-2018 17:23, James Knott wrote:

> On 04/29/2018 10:23 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>> There was a question in it about wondering how to get the users of
>> Linux to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word formats.
> Why would we want to, unless we had to?  The whole point of the Open
> Document formats was to be a non proprietary method that anyone can
> use.  Unlike MS formats, ODF is fully open.  Perhaps you should go to a
> site called Groklaw and read about all the nonsense with MS forcing
> their new spec through ISO, to make it a standard, when even their own
> implementation didn't comply with it.
>
>
> I use ODF formats unless I have a need to use MS, such as uploading
> documents to a web site that does not accept ODF.
>
>

You did forget to ask Tim-L what Facebook has to do with this problem ...

;)


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Tom Williams Tom Williams
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by James Knott-2
On 04/29/2018 08:23 AM, James Knott wrote:
> On 04/29/2018 10:23 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>> There was a question in it about wondering how to get the users of
>> Linux to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word formats.
> Why would we want to, unless we had to?
>
To make it easier to more readily exchange documents with others.  I
don't help many LibreOffice on Linux users but I do help a number of
LibreOffice on Windows users and I usually configure LibreOffice to save
in Microsoft formats, by default.  Most of these people don't understand
different file formats and want to be able to "just send" files to
friends, family, or other members of a group or something.

Being a Linux user, myself, I save files in Microsoft format only when I
*know* I need to send a Word or Excel file to someone else.  Otherwise,
any files I need to send to people are saved as PDF.

I've never heard of the Linux Users Facebook Group until today.   :)

Peace...

"The Other" Tom


--
/When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find,
And when I leave, I don't know what I'm leaving behind.../

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by krackedpress
At 10:23 29/04/2018 -0400, Tim Lungstrom wrote:
>Last night, I was in the middle of a thread on the Linux Users Group
>on Facebook. There was a question in it about wondering how to get
>the users of Linux to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word
>formats. ... I double checked and gave him the answer.

I trust the answer was "Don't" - or at least "Do so only when
essential, and never by default"!

Apart from the recommendations of a previous suggestion, note that
some facilities of LibreOffice cannot be saved in Microsoft's
proprietary formats and that converting to and fro into and out of
formats foreign to LibreOffice - as is the case if you save in
Microsoft's formats - is a recipe for document instability. What you
see when you reopen a document may not be what you saw before you saved it.

Brian Barker  


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Tom Williams
At 10:20 29/04/2018 -0700, Tom Williams wrote:
>I don't help many LibreOffice on Linux users but I do help a number
>of LibreOffice on Windows users and I usually configure LibreOffice
>to save in Microsoft formats, by default.

Please don't.

>Most of these people don't understand different file formats and
>want to be able to "just send" files to friends, family, or other
>members of a group or something. Being a Linux user, myself, I save
>files in Microsoft format only when I *know* I need to send a Word
>or Excel file to someone else. Otherwise, any files I need to send
>to people are saved as PDF.

I don't see the relevance of your reference to being a Linux user:
there is none. Surely this is the way to work independently of the
operating system being used? (Or colour of computer? Or day of the week?)

Since you are capable enough to know exactly how best to act in this
matter, surely you are a good enough teacher to bring your pupils up
to your standard of use? You do them a disservice by allowing them
only a poorer technique than your own.

Brian Barker  


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

James Knott-2 James Knott-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Luuk
On 04/29/2018 01:17 PM, Luuk wrote:
> You did forget to ask Tim-L what Facebook has to do with this problem ...

I suspect anyone using Facebook already has enough problems.  ;-)


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Luuk
On 04/29/2018 01:17 PM, Luuk wrote:

>
> On 29-4-2018 17:23, James Knott wrote:
>> On 04/29/2018 10:23 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>>> There was a question in it about wondering how to get the users of
>>> Linux to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word formats.
>> Why would we want to, unless we had to?  The whole point of the Open
>> Document formats was to be a non proprietary method that anyone can
>> use.  Unlike MS formats, ODF is fully open.  Perhaps you should go to a
>> site called Groklaw and read about all the nonsense with MS forcing
>> their new spec through ISO, to make it a standard, when even their own
>> implementation didn't comply with it.
>>
>>
>> I use ODF formats unless I have a need to use MS, such as uploading
>> documents to a web site that does not accept ODF.
>>
>>
> You did forget to ask Tim-L what Facebook has to do with this problem ...
>
> ;)
I read a "question" about LibreOffice and then answered it.  From that
last statement, it could seem to be a negative response of unfriendly
people. I hope that is was meant as a joke.


Who can afford to buy MS Office these days.

So, if your kids need to write papers that require MS Office formats,
then Open Document Formats will not do.  I know that over half of our
local schools still have a MSO that did not even think about supporting
a .odt document. So you either need to save it as DOC or DOCX to work
with those computers.

Why Facebook?  Well I was talking about using Linux for its security
option of needing a Root Password to install packages. Just give the
users Firefox, Skype, and LibreOffice.  Thats it. Then there was the
comment about not remembering how to make sure the users defaulted to
MSO formats, instead of trying to remember to save it to DOC/DOCX
instead of ODT.

You would not believe that info, and questions, that get on a Facebook
Linux support group. One thread I am keep monitoring is what is the best
distro of Linux and why.



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Luuk Luuk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

On 30-4-2018 05:15, Tim-L wrote:

> On 04/29/2018 01:17 PM, Luuk wrote:
>>
>> On 29-4-2018 17:23, James Knott wrote:
>>> On 04/29/2018 10:23 AM, Tim-L wrote:
>>>> There was a question in it about wondering how to get the users of
>>>> Linux to save LibreOffice files to Microsoft Word formats.
>>> Why would we want to, unless we had to?  The whole point of the Open
>>> Document formats was to be a non proprietary method that anyone can
>>> use.  Unlike MS formats, ODF is fully open.  Perhaps you should go to a
>>> site called Groklaw and read about all the nonsense with MS forcing
>>> their new spec through ISO, to make it a standard, when even their own
>>> implementation didn't comply with it.
>>>
>>>
>>> I use ODF formats unless I have a need to use MS, such as uploading
>>> documents to a web site that does not accept ODF.
>>>
>>>
>> You did forget to ask Tim-L what Facebook has to do with this problem
>> ...
>>
>> ;)
> I read a "question" about LibreOffice and then answered it.  From that
> last statement, it could seem to be a negative response of unfriendly
> people. I hope that is was meant as a joke.
>
>
> Who can afford to buy MS Office these days.
>
> So, if your kids need to write papers that require MS Office formats,
> then Open Document Formats will not do.  I know that over half of our
> local schools still have a MSO that did not even think about
> supporting a .odt document. So you either need to save it as DOC or
> DOCX to work with those computers.
>
> Why Facebook?  Well I was talking about using Linux for its security
> option of needing a Root Password to install packages. Just give the
> users Firefox, Skype, and LibreOffice.  Thats it. Then there was the
> comment about not remembering how to make sure the users defaulted to
> MSO formats, instead of trying to remember to save it to DOC/DOCX
> instead of ODT.
>
> You would not believe that info, and questions, that get on a Facebook
> Linux support group. One thread I am keep monitoring is what is the
> best distro of Linux and why.
>
>
>

You are trying to find a solution to a problem.
The problem is the wrong choice of the school ('only DOC or DOCX documents')
Try to solve the problem, and try not to find a work-around as solution.






--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
jonathon-6 jonathon-6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

On 04/30/2018 07:20 AM, Luuk wrote:

> The problem is the wrong choice of the school ('only DOC or DOCX documents')

The real issue is why do LMS admins appear to routinely disable ODF file
format compatibility?

Is that something they do, or is it that they aren't aware of ODF file
formats, or is it that the instructors that don't know what ODF file
formats are?

More than once, I've encountered an office that used AOo, with it
configured to save to MS doc, because they thought that nobody else
would be able to read/write/edit ODF file formats, even though literally
every entity that they exchanged documents with, either used LibO or AOo.

jonathon

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Luuk

> You are trying to find a solution to a problem.
> The problem is the wrong choice of the school ('only DOC or DOCX documents')
> Try to solve the problem, and try not to find a work-around as solution.
>
>

I teach at a college. I use LO, LyX and LaTeX for my work. All of my
students use MSO. The reasons? It is familiar to them and they get it
free as college students. I don't know if this is standard MS policy or
a special arrangement the college has made with Redmond.

My experience with college students is that most have no clue about
different file formats. They just save their work in whatever format
defaults on their programs, which happens to be .DOCX, .XLSX, etc.

Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
easiest solution to this situation.

I suppose I could insist that all of my students use .ODT file format
instead of .DOC, but I've decided its easier for one person (me) to
change his file format for a specific task than it is for scores of
students to change theirs. I want them to focus their efforts on the
substance of the test rather than the nuances of computer software.

I suppose that I could also crusade to solve the "problem" of the school
choosing the wrong office suite for its students, but that Quixotic
quest will take much more time and emotional energy than I have.

It is much easier for me to simply select a native MSO format than it is
to fight an impossible dream against the tide of inertia. I only do it
when I need to and I am deeply grateful to the LO developers for
creating a program that translates to .DOC and .DOCX so well.

But, this thread has piqued my interest in the Linux FB user's group.
I'll check it out.

Virgil

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Rob Rob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

If they have a recent version of ms-word they should be able to read odt files into word without problem..

So, using odt, doc or docx should be transparent (I hope)


On 30 apr. 2018, at 14:32, Virgil Arrington wrote:

>
>> You are trying to find a solution to a problem.
>> The problem is the wrong choice of the school ('only DOC or DOCX documents')
>> Try to solve the problem, and try not to find a work-around as solution.
>>
>>
>
> I teach at a college. I use LO, LyX and LaTeX for my work. All of my
> students use MSO. The reasons? It is familiar to them and they get it
> free as college students. I don't know if this is standard MS policy or
> a special arrangement the college has made with Redmond.
>
> My experience with college students is that most have no clue about
> different file formats. They just save their work in whatever format
> defaults on their programs, which happens to be .DOCX, .XLSX, etc.
>
> Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
> Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
> type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
> I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
> with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
> easiest solution to this situation.
>
> I suppose I could insist that all of my students use .ODT file format
> instead of .DOC, but I've decided its easier for one person (me) to
> change his file format for a specific task than it is for scores of
> students to change theirs. I want them to focus their efforts on the
> substance of the test rather than the nuances of computer software.
>
> I suppose that I could also crusade to solve the "problem" of the school
> choosing the wrong office suite for its students, but that Quixotic
> quest will take much more time and emotional energy than I have.
>
> It is much easier for me to simply select a native MSO format than it is
> to fight an impossible dream against the tide of inertia. I only do it
> when I need to and I am deeply grateful to the LO developers for
> creating a program that translates to .DOC and .DOCX so well.
>
> But, this thread has piqued my interest in the Linux FB user's group.
> I'll check it out.
>
> Virgil
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

James Knott-2 James Knott-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Virgil Arrington
On 04/30/2018 08:32 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
> Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
> type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
> I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
> with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
> easiest solution to this situation.

Recent versions of MS Office are supposed to be able to work with Open
Document files.  Have you tried to see what happens when you use it with
ODF files?

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Luuk Luuk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?



On 30-4-2018 17:11, James Knott wrote:

> On 04/30/2018 08:32 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
>> Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
>> type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
>> I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
>> with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
>> easiest solution to this situation.
> Recent versions of MS Office are supposed to be able to work with Open
> Document files.  Have you tried to see what happens when you use it with
> ODF files?
>

i tried to open and ods (with Excel2013), lay-out was wrong, but it worked!



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
aguador aguador
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by James Knott-2
> Enviar: lunes 30 de abril de 2018 a las 17:11
> De: "James Knott" <[hidden email]>
> Para: [hidden email]
> Asunto: Re: [libreoffice-users] How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?
>
> On 04/30/2018 08:32 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> > Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
> > Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
> > type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
> > I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
> > with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
> > easiest solution to this situation.
>
> Recent versions of MS Office are supposed to be able to work with Open
> Document files.  Have you tried to see what happens when you use it with
> ODF files?
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
>
That is exactly right, no student today should have a problem reading an odt file with MS Office as odt support has been incorporated in MSO since 2007 when MSO also defaulted to the docx format as a result of criticism of its closed formats.

Having been sickened early on by the "advertising" coming from Apple, Samsung and others, the "signature" of my business mail notes that it was produced using Linux and open-source applications. (If I am forced to use a mobile, it notes that K-9 Mail is the FOSS source.) One should be making every effort to promote open source and letting the world know that there alternatives to the commercial applications that try to hold us captive.

In the case of students, I would go a step further with a footnote:

*The attached file was produced by LibreOffice, a powerful Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) office suite and saved in the Open Document Format. To learn more about FOSS, click here. To learn more about LibreOffice and download it for free, click here.

The FOSS link might be to this: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html. Of course a link could also be provided to a Wikipedia or other page about ODF.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Virgil Arrington
On 04/30/2018 08:32 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

>> You are trying to find a solution to a problem.
>> The problem is the wrong choice of the school ('only DOC or DOCX documents')
>> Try to solve the problem, and try not to find a work-around as solution.
>>
>>
> I teach at a college. I use LO, LyX and LaTeX for my work. All of my
> students use MSO. The reasons? It is familiar to them and they get it
> free as college students. I don't know if this is standard MS policy or
> a special arrangement the college has made with Redmond.
>
> My experience with college students is that most have no clue about
> different file formats. They just save their work in whatever format
> defaults on their programs, which happens to be .DOCX, .XLSX, etc.
>
> Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
> Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
> type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
> I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
> with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
> easiest solution to this situation.
>
> I suppose I could insist that all of my students use .ODT file format
> instead of .DOC, but I've decided its easier for one person (me) to
> change his file format for a specific task than it is for scores of
> students to change theirs. I want them to focus their efforts on the
> substance of the test rather than the nuances of computer software.
>
> I suppose that I could also crusade to solve the "problem" of the school
> choosing the wrong office suite for its students, but that Quixotic
> quest will take much more time and emotional energy than I have.
>
> It is much easier for me to simply select a native MSO format than it is
> to fight an impossible dream against the tide of inertia. I only do it
> when I need to and I am deeply grateful to the LO developers for
> creating a program that translates to .DOC and .DOCX so well.
>
> But, this thread has piqued my interest in the Linux FB user's group.
> I'll check it out.
>
> Virgil
>
I started this thread with the notice of someone on a Facebook post
wondering how to default to saving to MS Word format.

Yes, a "crusade" to get schools to make the switch to Open Document
Formats should be looked into.  But that is not what was implied in the
thread I originally talked about.

The thread, in part, went into a sidebar about security in a computer
center and control of what packages would be allowed to be accessible. I
stated that I had to spend time a week to uninstall all of the user
installed packages to download files that was not allowed, or illegal. 
Things like porn [normal and illegal types] and copyrighted movies, TV
shows, etc. Some people who we caught were evicted and/or arrested. The
computer center was closed.  I told him that I tried to get the
powers-that-be switch to Linux systems and only have packages like
Firefox, Skype, and LibreOffice accessible to the users. Having to use a
Root password to install any packages would help keep the computers clean.

Then the question of saving MSO file formats by default was posed.

After that, I posted the start of this thread.

I did not expect the call for a "crusade" to get the schools to allow
ODFs to be used.  I just wanted to post that there are non-LibreOffice
user groups that questions may come up about using LO.  This is not the
first time I have dealt with emails and user group questions about using
LibreOffice.

-----------

YES, I think schools need to move to open source packages. I looked into
doing this locally. If the school[s] allow you to present this at a
meeting, then you must PROVE using ODFs would useful for them and the
students. Then there would be a 1 or 2 year discussion on the idea of
ODF and LibreOffice. The cost to me, time and money, with the process
would be more than I can do. Also, it seems that local schools and
computer centers use specific software defined by the county IT people.
Many people I talked with are users of open source packages, even
LibreOffice, on their home systems or even on their work systems. Yet,
their IT job required them to support non-open source packages.

When it comes down to it, people, organizations, and businesses, got
hooked into packages and it would be really "bad" if they try to dump
them. MS contracts tend to make the move almost impossible without major
financial "punishment" that no one can afford.



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Tanstaafl Tanstaafl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Virgil Arrington
On 4/30/2018, 8:32:31 AM, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
> Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
> type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
> I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
> with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
> easiest solution to this situation.

No, it is just the one you settled on.

The easiest - and safst - approach would be to use Libreoffice to create
the form, save it as a fillable PDF form, then send that to your students.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
TomD TomD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by krackedpress
Hi :)
Microsoft have problems following any standard or any format, even their
own.  Usually it looks like their ineptitude looks a lot like a deliberate
attempt to ensure that people have to keep buying newer and newer versions
of MS Office to keep up with everyone else.

MS Office 2007 and 2010 claimed to be able to read ODF but had trouble with
spreadsheets.  They saw that people were using version 2.? of ODF and
decided to go for 'compatibility' with version 1.0 (or 1.1) of ODF
instead.  That meant they could claim they were reaching out and had
fulfilled obligations/promises/expectations to be able to read other
people's formats but ensured that there would be significant hiccups.

By the time of MS Office 2013 the ODF version 2.? had finally become
formally recognised as "stable" by the committee that manages it.

So, MS ran out of reasonable excuses for failing to implement the same
version of ODF as everyone else.  This time it would look like ineptitude.


With their own 'new' format each different version of MS Office used a
different "transitional version" of their format - using the excuse that
their own ISO format was too difficult to implement.

Regards from
a Tom :)














On 30 April 2018 at 19:02, Tim-L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/30/2018 08:32 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>
>> You are trying to find a solution to a problem.
>>> The problem is the wrong choice of the school ('only DOC or DOCX
>>> documents')
>>> Try to solve the problem, and try not to find a work-around as solution.
>>>
>>>
>>> I teach at a college. I use LO, LyX and LaTeX for my work. All of my
>> students use MSO. The reasons? It is familiar to them and they get it
>> free as college students. I don't know if this is standard MS policy or
>> a special arrangement the college has made with Redmond.
>>
>> My experience with college students is that most have no clue about
>> different file formats. They just save their work in whatever format
>> defaults on their programs, which happens to be .DOCX, .XLSX, etc.
>>
>> Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
>> Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
>> type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
>> I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
>> with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
>> easiest solution to this situation.
>>
>> I suppose I could insist that all of my students use .ODT file format
>> instead of .DOC, but I've decided its easier for one person (me) to
>> change his file format for a specific task than it is for scores of
>> students to change theirs. I want them to focus their efforts on the
>> substance of the test rather than the nuances of computer software.
>>
>> I suppose that I could also crusade to solve the "problem" of the school
>> choosing the wrong office suite for its students, but that Quixotic
>> quest will take much more time and emotional energy than I have.
>>
>> It is much easier for me to simply select a native MSO format than it is
>> to fight an impossible dream against the tide of inertia. I only do it
>> when I need to and I am deeply grateful to the LO developers for
>> creating a program that translates to .DOC and .DOCX so well.
>>
>> But, this thread has piqued my interest in the Linux FB user's group.
>> I'll check it out.
>>
>> Virgil
>>
>> I started this thread with the notice of someone on a Facebook post
> wondering how to default to saving to MS Word format.
>
> Yes, a "crusade" to get schools to make the switch to Open Document
> Formats should be looked into.  But that is not what was implied in the
> thread I originally talked about.
>
> The thread, in part, went into a sidebar about security in a computer
> center and control of what packages would be allowed to be accessible. I
> stated that I had to spend time a week to uninstall all of the user
> installed packages to download files that was not allowed, or illegal.
> Things like porn [normal and illegal types] and copyrighted movies, TV
> shows, etc. Some people who we caught were evicted and/or arrested. The
> computer center was closed.  I told him that I tried to get the
> powers-that-be switch to Linux systems and only have packages like Firefox,
> Skype, and LibreOffice accessible to the users. Having to use a Root
> password to install any packages would help keep the computers clean.
>
> Then the question of saving MSO file formats by default was posed.
>
> After that, I posted the start of this thread.
>
> I did not expect the call for a "crusade" to get the schools to allow ODFs
> to be used.  I just wanted to post that there are non-LibreOffice user
> groups that questions may come up about using LO.  This is not the first
> time I have dealt with emails and user group questions about using
> LibreOffice.
>
> -----------
>
> YES, I think schools need to move to open source packages. I looked into
> doing this locally. If the school[s] allow you to present this at a
> meeting, then you must PROVE using ODFs would useful for them and the
> students. Then there would be a 1 or 2 year discussion on the idea of ODF
> and LibreOffice. The cost to me, time and money, with the process would be
> more than I can do. Also, it seems that local schools and computer centers
> use specific software defined by the county IT people. Many people I talked
> with are users of open source packages, even LibreOffice, on their home
> systems or even on their work systems. Yet, their IT job required them to
> support non-open source packages.
>
> When it comes down to it, people, organizations, and businesses, got
> hooked into packages and it would be really "bad" if they try to dump them.
> MS contracts tend to make the move almost impossible without major
> financial "punishment" that no one can afford.
>
>
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-un
> subscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
TomD TomD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by Tanstaafl
Hi :)
Pdf is not meant to be editable.  It's purpose was to look the same
everywhere on any machine and be easy to open on anything with a free,
small, easily installed program.

For editable documents the best format is still .Doc and the other older MS
formats.  Now that MS have stopped developing it there are no unexpected
new bumps - and it's old enough that it's a familiar option in most
programs.

It still has problems such as vulnerability to malware but even the most
recent versions of MS's newest format apparently have that problem too.  Of
course such malware relies on users opening the document with MS Officee.
To get infected in the first place needs someone with skills and
intent/ineptitude between document creator and weeu - or to be created on
an appropriately infected version of MS Office.

So Virgil's use of the older MS Format neatly avoids almost all of the
usual problems of that format and completely avoids the incompatibility
issues between each of the "transitional" versions of their newer format.


When saving in MS Formats it is wise to keep an original copy in ODF
because every version of MS Office seems to like stuffing-up documents it
saves in any format.

Regards from
a Tom :)




On 30 April 2018 at 19:39, Tanstaafl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/30/2018, 8:32:31 AM, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Today, I will be drafting the final exam for my students. I will use LO
> > Writer for the task. I will then email it to my students and they will
> > type their answers right onto the computer file and email it back to me.
> > I need to get the file to my students in a format they can easily use
> > with their computers. I will use .DOC for this purpose because it's the
> > easiest solution to this situation.
>
> No, it is just the one you settled on.
>
> The easiest - and safst - approach would be to use Libreoffice to create
> the form, save it as a fillable PDF form, then send that to your students.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-
> unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many of you deal with the Linux Users Group [Facebook]?

In reply to this post by James Knott-2
On 04/30/2018 11:11 AM, James Knott wrote:
>
> Recent versions of MS Office are supposed to be able to work with Open
> Document files.  Have you tried to see what happens when you use it with
> ODF files?
>
Thank you for the suggestion. My personal computer is Linux only, but
I'll check it out on the school's computers to see how well MSO reads
and writes to .odt. I don't even know what version of MSO the school uses.

Virgil

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Next » 1234