How many people out there?

Gianluca Turconi Gianluca Turconi

How many people out there?

Hello,

can we count ourselves in order to know how large is the subscriber user
base of this list?

It's strangely quiet for being a "users support list". :)

BTW, I'm testing LibO Beta and I think I've found a bug (or a feature
;-) but I'd like to know how many people can test the new application
before posting it here.

TIA,

Gianluca
--
Tempesta e Passione sbarcano su Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Sturm-Drang-Gianluca-Turconi/dp/B002ACTPSE/ref=sr_1_79?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243410943&sr=1-79

Gerard Cunningham Gerard Cunningham

Re: How many people out there?

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 16:00 +0200, Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can we count ourselves in order to know how large is the subscriber user
> base of this list?
>
> It's strangely quiet for being a "users support list". :)

I installed LO on my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop when it released, didn't
experience any issues with it during the few days it was there.
Currently experimenting with the Ubuntu 10.10 RC, so back to OO.o for
the moment, at least until 10.10 goes to release.

> BTW, I'm testing LibO Beta and I think I've found a bug (or a feature
> ;-) but I'd like to know how many people can test the new application
> before posting it here.
>
> TIA,
>
> Gianluca
> --
> Tempesta e Passione sbarcano su Amazon.com:
> http://www.amazon.com/Sturm-Drang-Gianluca-Turconi/dp/B002ACTPSE/ref=sr_1_79?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243410943&sr=1-79
> Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
> fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale:
> http://www.letturefantastiche.com/

--
© Gerard Cunningham
Journalist
+353 (0)86 607 3060
Kildare town, Co Kildare
Website: http://www.faduda.net
Blogging: http://www.faduda.ie

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: How many people out there?

Hi Gianluca,

Am 06.10.2010 um 16:00 schrieb Gianluca Turconi:

> can we count ourselves in order to know how large is the subscriber
user base of this list?

> It's strangely quiet for being a "users support list". :)

we have approx. 160 subscribers at the moment. ;)

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880

Phil Thane Phil Thane

Re: How many people out there?

On Wednesday 06 October 2010 15:19:05 Gerard Cunningham wrote:
> > It's strangely quiet for being a "users support list".

I'm a freelance journo with two regular Linux features. Tomorrow (I think)
Micro Mart should carry a two page piece from me about LO. I tested LO beta on
a testbed PC running Ubuntu 10.04 and it was fine, but I've still got OO on my
work machine.

Next week I have to test (K)Ubuntu 10.10 for PC Utilities and I'll put LO on
that if it doesn't come by default. Assuming there are no issues 10.10 will
then go on the work machine.

--
regards
Phil Thane

Bryn Villa
Penycoed Road
Llangollen
LL20 8LR
Wales (UK)

++44 (0) 1978 861677 (landline)
++44 (0) 7971 087623 (mobile)
Skype: philthane
www.pthane.co.uk

Simos Xenitellis Simos Xenitellis

Re: How many people out there?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Phil Thane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 October 2010 15:19:05 Gerard Cunningham wrote:
>> > It's strangely quiet for being a "users support list".
>
> I'm a freelance journo with two regular Linux features. Tomorrow (I think)
> Micro Mart should carry a two page piece from me about LO. I tested LO beta on
> a testbed PC running Ubuntu 10.04 and it was fine, but I've still got OO on my
> work machine.
>
> Next week I have to test (K)Ubuntu 10.10 for PC Utilities and I'll put LO on
> that if it doesn't come by default. Assuming there are no issues 10.10 will
> then go on the work machine.

Correct me if I am wrong; I think that Linux distributions have already been
using the LibreOffice fork, in the form of 'go-oo',
http://go-oo.org/download/

That is, www.openoffice.org has been slow to take patches for Linux so there
was a parallel branch that produced a version that Linux distributions
would take.
Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, RedHat have been using the OpenOffice.org from
http://go-oo.org/ all time long.
It was not a fork but a convenience for Linux distros for things not
getting better
within www.openoffice.org.

Since Oracle+OpenOffice.org have not shown a commitment to make things better,
the go-oo parallel branch becomes a fork, hence the change of the name
to LibreOffice (OpenOffice.org is (tm), etc) and the whole
infrastructure to support
LibreOffice.

My idea is that for Linux users who use OOo from their distros, there
should be little
or none difference between OOo and LibreOffice, at least at this early point.

Simos

italovignoli italovignoli

Re: How many people out there?

Phil Thane wrote:

> I'm a freelance journo with two regular Linux features. Tomorrow (I think)
> Micro Mart should carry a two page piece from me about LO. I tested LO beta on
> a testbed PC running Ubuntu 10.04 and it was fine, but I've still got OO on my
> work machine.

Hi Phil, I'm in charge - with others - of media relations at TDF. Feel
free to drop a line if you need assistance, or you want to talk to one
of our engineers. We're here to help.

Also, if you can send us a link to your article, it would be extremely
helpful. We are trying to collect all coverage, but it looks it is too
much for a small media team (but we're happy for that).

Thanks, Italo

--
Italo Vignoli
Mobile: +39.348.5653829 - VoIP: +39.02.320621813

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Phil Thane Phil Thane

Re: How many people out there?

On Wednesday 06 October 2010 15:58:55 Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong; I think that Linux distributions have already
> been using the LibreOffice fork, in the form of 'go-oo',

I realise many distros use Go-OO, I wasn't aware that was the basis for LO
though. Thanks for the advice.
--
regards
Phil Thane

Bryn Villa
Penycoed Road
Llangollen
LL20 8LR
Wales (UK)

++44 (0) 1978 861677 (landline)
++44 (0) 7971 087623 (mobile)
Skype: philthane
www.pthane.co.uk

Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti

Re: How many people out there?

Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong; ...
> Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, RedHat have been using the OpenOffice.org from
> http://go-oo.org/ all time long.

I'm not sure about Red Hat. I believe Fedora, the community project
sponsored by Red Hat and often serving as a basis for Red Hat commercial
products, ships basically the "official" OpenOffice.org, not Go-OO. It's
still something slightly different from the official sources since it
contains some Red Hat patches, but if I recall correctly it's not Go-OO.

Regards,
  Andrea Pescetti.