How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Next » 12
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Good evening
I have tried all sorts of settings to prevent LibreOffice from changing
(c) into the copywright symbol.
So far nothing has helped.
Setting it as an exception does not work.
For reasons I do not understand the conversion is NOT made when I type
(C) (=capital C).

What is the trick required to stop Libreoffice from doing this conversion.

If possible, I prefer NOT to turn of autocorrect entirely.

Thank you.
Thomas

James Knott James Knott

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

On 06/27/2016 08:57 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Good evening
> I have tried all sorts of settings to prevent LibreOffice from
> changing (c) into the copywright symbol.
> So far nothing has helped.
> Setting it as an exception does not work.
> For reasons I do not understand the conversion is NOT made when I type
> (C) (=capital C).
>
> What is the trick required to stop Libreoffice from doing this
> conversion.
>
> If possible, I prefer NOT to turn of autocorrect entirely.

After that happens, press <Ctrl>Z for undo.

Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

 > Good evening
 > I have tried all sorts of settings to prevent LibreOffice from changing
 > (c) into the copywright symbol.
 > So far nothing has helped.
 > Setting it as an exception does not work.
 > For reasons I do not understand the conversion is NOT made when I type
 > (C) (=capital C).
 >
 > What is the trick required to stop Libreoffice from doing this conversion.
 >
 > If possible, I prefer NOT to turn of autocorrect entirely.
 >
 > Thank you.
 > Thomas

Well, you have Tools > Autocorrect > Autocorrect options
and there you delete that specific replacement. BUT: you have to do it for the language that your text is in. Apparently your text is not English (USA), because that has the (C) [Capital C] replaced by ©, not the lowercase (c). So check the language setting of your document (or that part of the document).
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 21:57 27/06/2016 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>I have tried all sorts of settings to prevent LibreOffice from
>changing (c) into the copyright symbol. So far nothing has helped.
>Setting it as an exception does not work. For reasons I do not
>understand the conversion is NOT made when I type (C) (=capital C).
>
>What is the trick required to stop Libreoffice from doing this
>conversion. If possible, I prefer NOT to turn of autocorrect entirely.

o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace.
o Find and select the specific correction for (c) - at the top of the list?
o Click Delete and OK.

Remember that there are also alternatives:

o The automatic correction is considered a separate action from the
space or punctuation mark or line or paragraph break that terminates
the sequence and stimulates the correction. So you can use Edit |
Undo (or Ctrl+Z) to undo the correction and keep what you typed - as
long as you do so immediately the correction appears.

o Another technique may be not to worry about the change when it
occurs and to replace copyright symbols globally later with what you
actually want.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

James Knott James Knott

On 06/27/2016 09:20 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace.
> o Find and select the specific correction for (c) - at the top of the
> list?
> o Click Delete and OK.

Having done that, you might want to install the U.S. International
keyboard, should you ever require that symbol.
With it, I can press the right Alt key and c to make ©.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Or rather than the hassle an additional keyboard will cause--simply make use of the Unicode toggle.

The © glyph is Unicode U+00A9,  type a U+00A9 and with cursor positioned after the 9, use <Alt>+X to toggle.

In fact you can allow the auto-correct replacement, and then toggle back to the Unicode codepoint and replace that simple string.

Works for any individual glpyh with coverage in the current font.  For additional fonts, use the Special Character dialog.
James Knott James Knott

On 06/27/2016 10:27 AM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
> Or rather than the hassle an additional keyboard will cause--simply make use
> of the Unicode toggle.

Not an additional keyboard.  Rather change the layout.  That's easy
enough to do in Linux & Windows.  By using the international keyboard,
you get every character on the regular keyboard, in the same location,
but you also pick up more characters.  Those are accessed via the right
Alt key.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_American_keyboards

On 2016/06/27 22:18, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
>   > Good evening
>   > I have tried all sorts of settings to prevent LibreOffice from changing
>   > (c) into the copywright symbol.
>   > So far nothing has helped.
>   > Setting it as an exception does not work.
>   > For reasons I do not understand the conversion is NOT made when I type
>   > (C) (=capital C).
>   >
>   > What is the trick required to stop Libreoffice from doing this conversion.
>   >
>   > If possible, I prefer NOT to turn of autocorrect entirely.
>   >
>   > Thank you.
>   > Thomas
>
> Well, you have Tools > Autocorrect > Autocorrect options
> and there you delete that specific replacement. BUT: you have to do it for the language that your text is in. Apparently your text is not English (USA), because that has the (C) [Capital C] replaced by ©, not the lowercase (c). So check the language setting of your document (or that part of the document).
Thank you.
That is something  I have not thought of. However, it does not help either.
I am working on a document written in Japanese (-> a language that does
NOT appear in the langauge field under autocorrect options),
that has to be overwritten by German. I am using a German keyboard layout.
The replacement occurs regardless of whether I type within the still
Japanese section or the already translated German section.

German: neither deleting the entry present in the list of replacements
nor adding (c) as new item changes anything.
Entering (c) for ALL languages does not any good either.
Does that leave "Ctrl+Z" the one and only option?

This "(c)" comes from a Japanese style of numbering (lots of) tables and
items in a manner like "3.(4).A.(c)-1".
Don't ask me, whether that is good/right or whatever. It is just the way
it is and therefore the way I am supposed to render it in the translation.
I would like to think, that therre should be more elegant way ...

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Le 27/06/2016 à 18:57, Thomas Blasejewicz a écrit :

Hi Thomas,

> This "(c)" comes from a Japanese style of numbering (lots of) tables and
> items in a manner like "3.(4).A.(c)-1".
> Don't ask me, whether that is good/right or whatever. It is just the way
> it is and therefore the way I am supposed to render it in the translation.
> I would like to think, that therre should be more elegant way ...

If there is, I would be interested too, because it is a PITA. Having to
translate from English to French with this in styles not of my making
and render the same back to a client can quickly become an exercise in
frustration ! ;-)

Alex

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

To elaborate on Mr. Foote's entry method for unicode characters:

Depending on your set up, it isn't always necessary to type the "U+" part of the code point. As long as the hex value is separated from earlier text, you can just type it and then press the Alt+x (the "x" doesn't need to be capitalized, nor is the shift key used).

So for example, if I want to write "The next note in the music is preceded by a ♯" this can be entered by typing "The next note in the music is preceded by a 266f" and then immediately pressing Alt+x. Note, however, that this method only works in LibreOffice, and only if there is a font available that contains the characters you need.

Interestingly, that method doesn't work in this forum, so I entered the character using the more general (in Linux anyway - haven't used Windoze for a while) method of typing Ctrl+Shift+u, which results in an underlined "u" appearing: at which point you would type 266f followed by either a space or the Enter key, which will display the desired character.

As for the automatic substitution of © for (C) [or (c) in your case], I have gotten so used to immediately using Ctrl+z that I don't even notice it anymore - in your case, however, where it is important to the integrity of your outline, I would remove it from the autocorrect as others have described. If you actually need to copyright symbol regularly, define it as [c] or something else that you can remember.
Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

On 28/06/16 17:50, CVAlkan wrote:

> To elaborate on Mr. Foote's entry method for unicode characters:
>
> Depending on your set up, it isn't always necessary to type the "U+" part of
> the code point. As long as the hex value is separated from earlier text, you
> can just type it and then press the Alt+x (the "x" doesn't need to be
> capitalized, nor is the shift key used).
>
> So for example, if I want to write "The next note in the music is preceded
> by a ♯" this can be entered by typing "The next note in the music is
> preceded by a 266f" and then immediately pressing Alt+x. Note, however, that
> this method only works in LibreOffice, and only if there is a font available
> that contains the characters you need.
>
> Interestingly, that method doesn't work in this forum, so I entered the
> character using the more general (in Linux anyway - haven't used Windoze for
> a while) method of typing Ctrl+Shift+u, which results in an underlined "u"
> appearing: at which point you would type 266f followed by either a space or
> the Enter key, which will display the desired character.
>
> As for the automatic substitution of © for (C) [or (c) in your case], I have
> gotten so used to immediately using Ctrl+z that I don't even notice it
> anymore - in your case, however, where it is important to the integrity of
> your outline, I would remove it from the autocorrect as others have
> described. If you actually need to copyright symbol regularly, define it as
> [c] or something else that you can remember.

I'm a little lost with this thread and I'm sorry I missed the beginning.
Did it start with a particular branch of LO Writer ?

I had often wondered how to apply a unicode character using the form
U+266f and have resorted on the few occasions when I needed one, to
inserting Special Characters.

With LO Writer 4.2.8.2 in UbuntuStudio, Alt+x doesn't toggle unicode. In
fact the keyboard shortcut lists show that practically nothing is
defined with the use of the Alt key (only Alt+backspace = undo,
Alt+shift+F8 = Block Area).

Also Ctrl+Shift+u does nothing and is undefined in the keyboard shortcuts.
Philip

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Philip Jackson wrote
I'm a little lost with this thread and I'm sorry I missed the beginning.
Did it start with a particular branch of LO Writer ?
Read the whole thread in context here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/How-to-NOT-turn-c-into-a-symbol-tt4187226.html

I had often wondered how to apply a unicode character using the form
U+266f and have resorted on the few occasions when I needed one, to
inserting Special Characters.

With LO Writer 4.2.8.2 in UbuntuStudio, Alt+x doesn't toggle unicode. In
fact the keyboard shortcut lists show that practically nothing is
defined with the use of the Alt key (only Alt+backspace = undo,
Alt+shift+F8 = Block Area).

Also Ctrl+Shift+u does nothing and is undefined in the keyboard shortcuts.
LibreOffice 4.2.8 went EOL December 2014 -- a lot has happened with the 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, 5.1 and pending 5.2 releases. More current releases are available from Ubuntu PPA or LibreOffice.org as DEB packages.

tdf#73691  -- add unicode conversion shortcut like word (alt+x) has been in the source since August 2015, and is included in 5.1 release onward.

On 2016/06/28 18:46, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 27/06/2016 à 18:57, Thomas Blasejewicz a écrit :
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> This "(c)" comes from a Japanese style of numbering (lots of) tables and
>> items in a manner like "3.(4).A.(c)-1".
>> Don't ask me, whether that is good/right or whatever. It is just the way
>> it is and therefore the way I am supposed to render it in the translation.
>> I would like to think, that therre should be more elegant way ...
>>

> If there is, I would be interested too, because it is a PITA. Having to
> translate from English to French with this in styles not of my making
> and render the same back to a client can quickly become an exercise in
> frustration ! ;-)
>
> Alex

Actually, I did not solve this problem yet.
The suggestion: there is  "Default - English (USA)" does not seem to
apply to my setting.
In my case there is "Default - Japanese" (although I cannot remember
having deliberately specified)
Otherwise there are only English (UK / USA)
Deleting the item for those languages /
setting an exception for Default - Japanese does not change anything.

Also, I do not really understand what the discussion about unicode
characters has to do with the issue.
ALL I want to do is type "(c)" leave it standing as it is.
No automatic changes.
Now, this cannot be so difficult, can it?

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

This post was updated on .
Sorry Thomas - the descent into Unicode characters was probably inappropriate given your needs, but that is one of the driving forces behind the feature that is annoying you, so likely an inevitable diversion.

You're correct, it should be simple, and it actually is:

Open Writer if it isn’t already. Then use either of these menu options:
Format | Autocorrect | Autocorrect Options...
Tools | Autocorrect Options…
(They will each open the same tabbed dialog box.)

The first tab (Replace) in the dialog should be selected; that is the one you want to use.

You will need to scroll down through the entries until you arrive at the substitution you wish to disable. Depending on the sort order of your installation, I assume this order may be different, but on mine (U.S. English), the list begins with a large number of keywords surrounded by colons, e.g. ":keyword:"

This permits you to type, for instance :something: and have it automatically be replaced by the character representing that “something” which might be an emoji, a complex fraction, or a wide variety of other things.

A few entries after the final :Zeta: and :zzz: , you’ll see an entry .*(C) or .*(c) in the “Replace” column and © in the “With” column. Simply highlight that row, and press the Delete button on the right, and you should be inoculated against interference with your outline formatting.

Depending on how lengthy your outlines might become, you might also want to disable the .*(R) or .*(r) entry below, which substitutes the ® symbol.

If your sort order is different than mine, you'll just have to search carefully, but if the substitution is taking place, whatever key combination is causing it is there somewhere.

I'm not sure what the ".*" in the ".*(C)" is; I assumed at first it was a regular expression (look that up if you're not familiar but still care), but on closer examination, I suspect it's a variant of that specifically for use in this list.

Please post back if this does or doesn't address your issue, as it's an interesting problem ...

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

 > ALL I want to do is type "(c)" leave it standing as it is.
 > No automatic changes.
 > Now, this cannot be so difficult, can it?

These changes are defined in Autocorrect Options, so that's the place where you have to change it. You just have to find out which language LO uses to find it.

You could check in the preferences (LibreOffice > Preferences or Tools > Options, depending on your O.S.)

Then go to LibreOffice > Language Settings > Languages and look at Default Languages for Documents.
Then look in your document, Tools > Language > For Selection, and also For Paragraph, For all Text.

For all of these, delete the (c) replacement in Autocorrect > Replace

You could also uncheck Tools > AutoCorrect > While Typing, but obviously that also disables all other corrections.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Le 28/06/2016 à 20:37, V Stuart Foote a écrit :

Hi Stuart,

> tdf#73691 <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73691>    --
> add unicode conversion shortcut like word (alt+x) has been in the source
> since August 2015, and is included in 5.1 release onward.

Doesn't work on OSX 10.11.5 with LO 5132.

What many people seem to ignore when making shortcut changes in LO code
is whether or not they will work on OSX...as a result, many don't
(including the example you point to above).

Alex

Alexander Thurgood wrote:

 > Le 28/06/2016 à 20:37, V Stuart Foote a écrit :
 >
 > Hi Stuart,
 >
 > > tdf#73691 <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73691>    --
 > > add unicode conversion shortcut like word (alt+x) has been in the source
 > > since August 2015, and is included in 5.1 release onward.
 > >
 >
 > Doesn't work on OSX 10.11.5 with LO 5132.
 >
 > What many people seem to ignore when making shortcut changes in LO code
 > is whether or not they will work on OSX...as a result, many don't
 > (including the example you point to above).

Option + command + x
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Le 29/06/2016 à 16:02, Piet van Oostrum a écrit :

Cheers !

Alex

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Alex Thurgood wrote
Le 28/06/2016 à 20:37, V Stuart Foote a écrit :

Hi Stuart,

> tdf#73691 <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73691>    --
> add unicode conversion shortcut like word (alt+x) has been in the source
> since August 2015, and is included in 5.1 release onward.

Doesn't work on OSX 10.11.5 with LO 5132.

What many people seem to ignore when making shortcut changes in LO code
is whether or not they will work on OSX...as a result, many don't
(including the example you point to above).
Piet beat me to is, so I'll just comment that the details for using the .uno:UnicodeNotationToggle with OS X and several localizations are in the linked tdf#73691 had you bothered to review it, and that in fact OS X receives appropriate attention in these usability areas. But more help is always welcome.

The ShortCut key assignments are mostly made centrally in source in Accelerators.xcu  [1]. There are a few that are coded deeper in the vcl code.

=-ref-=
[1] http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Accelerators.xcu
TomD TomD

Re: How to NOT turn (c) into a symbol

Hi :)
I can empathise with Alexander because we almost always give answers
assuming people are using Windows or Linux and things are a little
different on Macs and iThings.

The Published Guides do the same thing but at least they have a tiny
section at the front to explain how to translate the instructions into Mac
= ie what to do instead of "Tools - Options"

Mac and iThings usage is growing and has grown quite significantly already
but it's still quite far from 30-40%, and Mac users are not so dissatisfied
with their own dedicated eco-system that installing LibreOffice is such a
vital necessity for them.  "Pages" ("Author"?) is a nice enough
word-processor to have by default.  Ulysses and Scrivener have great
reputations and are only $45 each against Word's $80.  There are plenty of
fairly good choices at $20ish and even at $5.  There is already a much
fairer market in the Apple world, and LibreOffice does have it's fair(ish)
share within that.  So it's not a surprise that so relatively few
LibreOffice users are using Apple.

I guess that, just as with almost any minority group, it gets a bit
annoying that it rarely gets any mention at all.  Especially for people
such as Alexander who puts in such a huge amount of work for all of us.