How to Remove Read-Only Restriction

aln aln

How to Remove Read-Only Restriction

When I send a spreadsheet (xxx.ods) as an attachment in an email (I use
Thunderbird), it is received as a "Read-Only" file.  The only Options that I
know of don't appear to force it to be Read-Only (see attached). So how do I
disable this restriction?
<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t495249/LibreO_Calc01.jpg>
<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t495249/LibreO_Calc02.jpg>

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: How to Remove Read-Only Restriction

Hi aln,

> When I send a spreadsheet (xxx.ods) as an attachment in an email (I use
> Thunderbird), it is received as a "Read-Only" file.  The only Options that I
> know of don't appear to force it to be Read-Only (see attached). So how do I
> disable this restriction?

Could it be you are trying to open the attached file directly from
Thunderbird? You have to save it and open it afterwords.

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

Tim Deaton Tim Deaton

Re: How to Remove Read-Only Restriction

When you send something as an attachment in an email, and the recipient
clicks on the file IN the email (without saving the file somewhere on
his machine first), then the computer opens the file as a "temporary"
creature in a "temporary" place.  That "temporary" file is always "read
only".  If the user can and does make any changes and wants to save the
result, he cannot just "save" the result.  Instead, he must choose "save
as", and give the file a permanent home and name on his machine.

Hope that helps,
Tim

On 1/6/2021 12:07 AM, aln wrote:

> When I send a spreadsheet (xxx.ods) as an attachment in an email (I use
> Thunderbird), it is received as a "Read-Only" file.  The only Options that I
> know of don't appear to force it to be Read-Only (see attached). So how do I
> disable this restriction?
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t495249/LibreO_Calc01.jpg>
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t495249/LibreO_Calc02.jpg>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

aln aln

Re: How to Remove Read-Only Restriction

Trying to open the attached file directly from Thunderbird was exactly the
problem. Thanks for your help Robert!

aln aln

Re: How to Remove Read-Only Restriction

Tim Deaton wrote

> When you send something as an attachment in an email, and the recipient
> clicks on the file IN the email (without saving the file somewhere on
> his machine first), then the computer opens the file as a "temporary"
> creature in a "temporary" place.  That "temporary" file is always "read
> only".  If the user can and does make any changes and wants to save the
> result, he cannot just "save" the result.  Instead, he must choose "save
> as", and give the file a permanent home and name on his machine.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Tim
>
> On 1/6/2021 12:07 AM, aln wrote:
>> When I send a spreadsheet (xxx.ods) as an attachment in an email (I use
>> Thunderbird), it is received as a "Read-Only" file.  The only Options
>> that I
>> know of don't appear to force it to be Read-Only (see attached). So how
>> do I
>> disable this restriction?
>> &lt;http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t495249/LibreO_Calc01.jpg&gt;
>> &lt;http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t495249/LibreO_Calc02.jpg&gt;
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Thanks for the detailed explanation Tim. Problem solved!