How to import PDF file?

Thomas Taylor Thomas Taylor

How to import PDF file?

How should I import the contents of a *.pdf file into LibreOffice?

Thanks, Tom (moderator)

--

Failure seldom stops you. What stops you is the fear of failure.
  -  Jack Lemmon

^^  --...  ...--  / -.-  --.  --...  -.-.  ..-.  -.-.

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 1 3.11.10-29-default,
KDE 4.11.5, AMD A8-7600, GeForce GTX 740 T/PCIe/
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 42.0, claws-mail 3.13.1
registered linux user 263467

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

Re: How to import PDF file?

Open LibreOffice, and from within LibreOffice open the PDF file using
the File > Open menu. The PDF should open with Draw, but if damaged it
will open with Writer as a text file.

On 23/12/15 19:36, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> How should I import the contents of a *.pdf file into LibreOffice?

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
mobile +39.348.5653829 - email / jabber [hidden email]

Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2

Re: How to import PDF file?

LOSING JUSTIFY

       With at least one example, I lost "justify" with opening a PDF in
LibreOffice Draw.  The original PDF was in two columns with each
justified.  In Draw, it was left aligned, and some of the lines in the
left column overlapped the right.

       I got this using "Print/export" > "Download as PDF" from
"Effective defense and ISIL" in Wikiversity
(https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Effective_defense_and_ISIL) with
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 and 5.0.4.2 just now.

FORCE READING IN WRITER?

       Is there a way to force LO to open it in Writer?

       Alternatively, is there other software (preferably free and
open-source) that can read the text (and numbers) and make them
available to Writer or Calc that's easier than copying and pasting from
Draw?

       The text in Draw is all single lines, which makes it inconvenient
to work from.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

On 12/23/2015 1:09 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> Open LibreOffice, and from within LibreOffice open the PDF file using
> the File > Open menu. The PDF should open with Draw, but if damaged it
> will open with Writer as a text file.
>
> On 23/12/15 19:36, Thomas Taylor wrote:
>> How should I import the contents of a *.pdf file into LibreOffice?

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: How to import PDF file?

"Spencer Graves":

> Is there a way to force LO to open it in Writer?

No. PDF documents are graphic files and cannot be easily converted to plain text.

> is there other software (preferably free and
> open-source) that can read the text (and numbers) and make them
> available to Writer or Calc

pdftotext from xpdf package is quite good.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: How to import PDF file?

Spencer Graves-2 wrote
FORCE READING IN WRITER?

       Is there a way to force LO to open it in Writer?
Yes and actually this is trivial to do.   From Tools -> Options -> General:  select the "Use LibreOffice dialogs" option.  With that enabled,  when the dialog opens--on the File type:-- dropdown list rather that default "All files" scroll and select the "PDF - Portable Document Format (Writer) (.pdf)" entry. Then choose the PDF document to be opened into Writer. It will be filter imported into a Writer module document rather than the default Draw module.

       The text in Draw is all single lines, which makes it inconvenient to work from.
LibreOffice is *not* a PDF editor and makes no claim to be such--for that matter neither does Adobe Acrobat.  The loss of layout and linkage PDF on import to LibreOffice simply occurs because a general PDF import filter is used.  It is not designed nor is it intended to parse the PDF back into its original source document or web page structure.  Rather, the PDF import filter is intended to render the various pages as reasonable facsimile of the Postscript document layout contained in the PDF.  Most text flow and paragraph structure is not described in the PDF and can not magically be recreated when the PDF is read for import.

So, unfortunately a fair amount of restructuring the result is always going to be needed to work with the document. Often, a copy paste into a new document with style applied is going to be more efficient.

The LibreOffice hybrid-PDF format can be used to embed the ODF source document into the PDF to exchange document structuring of the original. But that won't help for this use case.