How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Next » 12
samphan samphan

How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

I saw users having problem pronouncing the software name "LibreOffice"
in Thailand. I found this page
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
that link to Google translate to provide the (official?) pronouncement.

http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOffice

I'm quite surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty" orlbr
as in http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libre
So actually it is ˈliːbreɪ as in http://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre ,
right? (phonetic copy/paste from the website)

It would be nice if someone could provide an official pronouncement
sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic, for the literate).
Since we start to pronounce the name differently here in Thailand.

--
_/|\_ /Samphan Raruenrom./  Osdev - Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
/สัมพันธ์ ระรื่นรมย์./  โอเอสเด็บ - บริษัท โอเพนซอร์สดิเวลอปเมนต์ จำกัด

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Hi,

Am 27.03.2011 08:22, schrieb Samphan Raruenrom:

> I found this page
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
> that link to Google translate to provide the (official?) pronouncement.

I don´t think, that this is "official" in sense of approved by TDF
or the TDF community.

> http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOffice

This sounds odd to me, personally.

The following sounds almost like the one I am used to:
http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LiebreOffice

> I'm quite surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty"
> orlbr as in http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libre
> So actually it is ˈliːbreɪ as in
> http://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre , right?

Yes, I would agree.

> It would be nice if someone could provide an official pronouncement
> sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic, for the
> literate).

I am not sure, if there is really a need for an official
pronunciation. This is a free project. Every participant is free to
pronounce it the way she/he likes. For me, there is nothing wrong
with different pronunciation by people with different native tongue.

IMO,
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
should be changed, in order to express that ther is no wrong or right.

:-)

Stefan

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/3/27 Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> Am 27.03.2011 08:22, schrieb Samphan Raruenrom:
>
> > I found this page
> >
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
> > that link to Google translate to provide the (official?) pronouncement.
>
> I don´t think, that this is "official" in sense of approved by TDF
> or the TDF community.
>
> > http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOffice
>
> This sounds odd to me, personally.
>
> The following sounds almost like the one I am used to:
> http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LiebreOffice
>
> > I'm quite surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty"
> > orlbr as in http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libre
> > So actually it is ˈliːbreɪ as in
> > http://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre , right?
>
> Yes, I would agree.
>
> > It would be nice if someone could provide an official pronouncement
> > sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic, for the
> > literate).
>
> I am not sure, if there is really a need for an official
> pronunciation. This is a free project. Every participant is free to
> pronounce it the way she/he likes. For me, there is nothing wrong
> with different pronunciation by people with different native tongue.
>
> IMO,
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
> should be changed, in order to express that ther is no wrong or right.
>
> :-)
>
> Stefan

I'm with Stefan here ; pronunciation of the term «LibreOffice» should be
left to usage in the countries/regions concerned. I find the one suggested
(?) by Google Translate directly distasteful ; why should the great vowel
shift which occured in English from the late fifteenth century onwards be
imposed on all the countries which use variants of the Roman alphabet ?
Freedom to pronounce the term as suits us best ; isn't that an integral part
of LIBREOffice ?...

Henri

samphan samphan

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I am not sure, if there is really a need for an official
> > pronunciation. This is a free project. Every participant is free to
> > pronounce it the way she/he likes. For me, there is nothing wrong
> > with different pronunciation by people with different native tongue.
> > Stefan
> I'm with Stefan here ; pronunciation of the term «LibreOffice» should be
> left to usage in the countries/regions concerned. I find the one suggested
> (?) by Google Translate directly distasteful ; why should the great vowel
> shift which occured in English from the late fifteenth century onwards be
> imposed on all the countries which use variants of the Roman alphabet ?
> Freedom to pronounce the term as suits us best ; isn't that an integral
> part
> of LIBREOffice ?...

I understand your point about freedom to pronounce the term for people in
the Western world. But for people in the East who don't have a clue about
how to pronounce the name, a few examples of the right pronunciations will
help us. I've been ask time and time again about how to pronounce the name
which I can't answer. I would like to see a single reference place (URL)
that I can give them so they can start to speak out the name with
confidence.

--
_/|\_ Samphan Raruenrom. Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
Tel: +66 38 311816, Fax: +66 38 773128, http://www.osdev.co.th/

mgagnonlv mgagnonlv

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

      saw users having problem pronouncing the software name
      "LibreOffice" in Thailand. I found this pagehttp://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/that link to Google translate to provide the (official?)
      pronouncement.http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOfficeI'm quite surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty"
      orlbr as inhttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libreSo actually it is ˈliːbreɪ as inhttp://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre, right? (phonetic
      copy/paste from the website)It would be nice if someone could provide an official
      pronouncement sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic,
      for the literate). Since we start to pronounce the name
      differently here in Thailand.I'm French speaking, and would refer you to these:http://fr.thefreedictionary.com/librehttp://en.thefreedictionary.com/office(US flag)The problem I find with these sound files is that they should be
    slowed down. According to Le Robert (physical dictionary), it is libʀ(ə) Therefore, the phonetic translitteration of the 1st word islibʀ, because the last "e" is not pronounced as "ə",
    but is muted as the second word is linked to it.The Office part comes from here:http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/officeThe complete name should be something like :libʀˈɒfɪs or
     libʀˈɔːfɪsbut I would really like an English-speaking person to correct the
    Office part.--
Michel Gagnon –michel@mgagnon.netMontréal (Québec, Canada) –mgagnon.net

Prabath Galagamage Prabath Galagamage

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

In the Sri Lanka and Sinhala language we have problem with correct
pronunciation. There is no correct pronunciation, we can not write name of
LIbreOffice by Sinhala language. Please insert correct pronunciation audio
to TDF web site.

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Michel Gagnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>      saw users having problem pronouncing the software name
>       "LibreOffice" in Thailand. I found this pagehttp://
> www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/thatlink to Google translate to provide the (official?)
>      pronouncement.http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOfficeI'm quite
> surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty"
>      orlbr as inhttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libreSo actually it
> is ˈliːbreɪ as inhttp://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre, right? (phonetic
>       copy/paste from the website)It would be nice if someone could provide
> an official
>      pronouncement sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic,
>      for the literate). Since we start to pronounce the name
>       differently here in Thailand.I'm French speaking, and would refer you
> to these:
> http://fr.thefreedictionary.com/librehttp://en.thefreedictionary.com/office(USflag)The problem I find with these sound files is that they should be
>    slowed down. According to Le Robert (physical dictionary), it
> is libʀ(ə) Therefore, the phonetic translitteration of the 1st word islibʀ,
> because the last "e" is not pronounced as "ə",
>    but is muted as the second word is linked to it.The Office part comes
> from here:
> http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/officeThecomplete name should be something like :libʀˈɒfɪs or
>     libʀˈɔːfɪsbut I would really like an English-speaking person to correct
> the
>    Office part.--
> Michel Gagnon –michel@mgagnon.netMontréal (Québec, Canada) –mgagnon.net

Prabath Galagamage
http://textlk.blogspot.com/
http://agniezine.wordpress.com/
http://www.ejsa.info

sophi sophi

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Hi Prabath,
On 27/03/2011 19:17, Prabath Galagamage wrote:
> In the Sri Lanka and Sinhala language we have problem with correct
> pronunciation. There is no correct pronunciation, we can not write name of
> LIbreOffice by Sinhala language. Please insert correct pronunciation audio
> to TDF web site.

there is one on the wiki done by Cedric Bosdonnat with the French
pronunciation , but I can't find it at the moment, anybody knows where
it is? I've added Cédric on CC, he will be able to tell us tomorrow anyway.

Kind regards
Sophie

Prabath Galagamage Prabath Galagamage

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Thanks Sophie

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/3/27 sophie <[hidden email]>

> Hi Prabath,
>
> On 27/03/2011 19:17, Prabath Galagamage wrote:
>
>> In the Sri Lanka and Sinhala language we have problem with correct
>> pronunciation. There is no correct pronunciation, we can not write name of
>> LIbreOffice by Sinhala language. Please insert correct pronunciation audio
>> to TDF web site.
>>

> there is one on the wiki done by Cedric Bosdonnat with the French
> pronunciation , but I can't find it at the moment, anybody knows where it
> is? I've added Cédric on CC, he will be able to tell us tomorrow anyway.
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Sophie, I think this is the link to which you refer : *
http://cedric.bosdonnat.free.fr/wordpress/?p=722* . It links to a French
pronunciation of *libre* and an English pronunciation of *office*, which
should do the trick. Cédric's wise words about minor differences in
pronunciation not constituting a problem (which product names are pronounced
identically throughout the world ?) are worth taking *ad notam* !...

Henri

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Hi Stefan, Samphan, *,

Stefan Weigel schrieb:
> Am 27.03.2011 08:22, schrieb Samphan Raruenrom:

>> I found this page
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-prono
>> unce-libreoffice/ that link to Google translate to provide the
>> (official?) pronouncement.

> I don´t think, that this is "official" in sense of approved by TDF
> or the TDF community.

>> http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOffice

> This sounds odd to me, personally.

to me as well..

> The following sounds almost like the one I am used to:
> http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LiebreOffice

my favorite:
http://translate.google.com/#fr|de|LiebreOffice
which I assume is most close to the intended marriage between the
french libre and the english office in my opinion.

>> I'm quite surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty"
>> orlbr as in http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libre
>> So actually it is ˈliːbreɪ as in
>> http://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre , right?

> Yes, I would agree.

Quite close I think.

>> It would be nice if someone could provide an official pronouncement
>> sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic, for the
>> literate).

I think this is kind of good Idea..

> I am not sure, if there is really a need for an official
> pronunciation. This is a free project. Every participant is free to
> pronounce it the way she/he likes. For me, there is nothing wrong
> with different pronunciation by people with different native tongue.

> IMO,

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
should be changed, in order to express that ther is no
> wrong or right.

I'd rather think of a *proposal* file which has been approved by simple
voting on this list.

I agree there should not be any official "pressure" of pronunciaton, but
I think it couldn't harm to have a proposal sound file for those who
look for advice or - in this case - look for a way writing LibreOffice
in their native language at all.

I think overruling things and help to find a consensus to understand
each other must not be mistaken.

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

Jon Hamkins-2 Jon Hamkins-2

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

In the U.S., it is also unclear how to pronounce LibreOffice.  Those of
us showing up to man the booth at SCaLE came with slightly different
assumptions on pronunciation.  Do we need an official position from TDF,
perhaps a localized one, or is it OK for everyone to say it how they want?

      ----Jon

--

      ----Jon

sophi sophi

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Hi Jon,
On 28/03/2011 17:32, Jon Hamkins wrote:
> In the U.S., it is also unclear how to pronounce LibreOffice.  Those
> of us showing up to man the booth at SCaLE came with slightly
> different assumptions on pronunciation.  Do we need an official
> position from TDF, perhaps a localized one, or is it OK for everyone
> to say it how they want?
Pronounce it as you feel it, it's the best for an open source project :)

Kind regards
Sophie

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Hi sophie, *,

sophie schrieb:

> On 28/03/2011 17:32, Jon Hamkins wrote:
>> In the U.S., it is also unclear how to pronounce LibreOffice.  Those
>> of us showing up to man the booth at SCaLE came with slightly
>> different assumptions on pronunciation.  Do we need an official
>> position from TDF, perhaps a localized one, or is it OK for everyone
>> to say it how they want?

> Pronounce it as you feel it, it's the best for an open source project
> :)

Sorry, I strongly disagree.
Which I disagree is to leave people alone while asking for help.

You are in the position of not having any issues pronouncing, because
You were one of the minds choosing the name, which of course fits the
people doing so. There is nothing wrong with that.

But we should not let people beeing on their own, facing those issues
for two reasons:

- we never should leave alone anyone searching help

- I'd think it's a nice thing to understand each other when we meet live
  at any place and speak of the subject of our hearts :o)).

This is no proposal for a single official pronunciation written in
stone, but rather one for an agreement for better understanding.

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/
LibreOffice and more on CD/DVD images

Prabath Galagamage Prabath Galagamage

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

I think Friedrich Strohmaier's comments is correct. In the native languages
can not  write the name of "LibreOffice" by English letters. It is one of
reason for lack of development of native languages. One or more official
pronunciation suggestions are there, it is better for our local activities
and it is helpful for make a unique name to LibreOffice around the world.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Friedrich Strohmaier <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi sophie, *,
>
> sophie schrieb:
>
> > On 28/03/2011 17:32, Jon Hamkins wrote:
> >> In the U.S., it is also unclear how to pronounce LibreOffice.  Those
> >> of us showing up to man the booth at SCaLE came with slightly
> >> different assumptions on pronunciation.  Do we need an official
> >> position from TDF, perhaps a localized one, or is it OK for everyone
> >> to say it how they want?
>
> > Pronounce it as you feel it, it's the best for an open source project
> > :)
>
> Sorry, I strongly disagree.
> Which I disagree is to leave people alone while asking for help.
>
> You are in the position of not having any issues pronouncing, because
> You were one of the minds choosing the name, which of course fits the
> people doing so. There is nothing wrong with that.
>
> But we should not let people beeing on their own, facing those issues
> for two reasons:
>
> - we never should leave alone anyone searching help
>
> - I'd think it's a nice thing to understand each other when we meet live
>  at any place and speak of the subject of our hearts :o)).
>
> This is no proposal for a single official pronunciation written in
> stone, but rather one for an agreement for better understanding.
>

> Gruß/regards
> --
> Friedrich
> Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/
> LibreOffice and more on CD/DVD images

Prabath Galagamage
http://textlk.blogspot.com/
http://agniezine.wordpress.com/
http://www.ejsa.info

aqualung aqualung

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

Obviously, all francophone users will pronounce LibreOffice one way... according to the pronunciation conventions of their language.

The rest of the world, unless they have been exposed to French by learning it as a second language, will have no idea.

Before a recommended pronunciation is posted on a web page, agreement on a particular one would have to be reached first.

Almost certainly, it won't be the francophone pronunciation (which is too alien for people who have not had any practice speaking French). Then, the paradoxical situation could arise that a trademark which is clearly French in orthography could have a non-French recommended pronunciation.

The French are not going to like that, no sir
mhenriday mhenriday

2011/3/29 Prabath Galagamage <[hidden email]>

> I think Friedrich Strohmaier's comments is correct. In the native languages
> can not  write the name of "LibreOffice" by English letters. It is one of
> reason for lack of development of native languages. One or more official
> pronunciation suggestions are there, it is better for our local activities
> and it is helpful for make a unique name to LibreOffice around the world.

Prabath, please note that the letters in question were devised and used for
centuries before anything that could be called the English language existed
and, in different variations, are used at present to represent the sounds of
many languages other than English. The alphabet comprising these is best
known as the Latin or Roman alphabet....

Henri

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Friedrich Strohmaier <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi sophie, *,
> >
> > sophie schrieb:

> > > Pronounce it as you feel it, it's the best for an open source project
> > > :)
> >
> > Sorry, I strongly disagree.
> > Which I disagree is to leave people alone while asking for help.
> >
> > You are in the position of not having any issues pronouncing, because
> > You were one of the minds choosing the name, which of course fits the
> > people doing so. There is nothing wrong with that.
> >
> > But we should not let people beeing on their own, facing those issues
> > for two reasons:
> >
> > - we never should leave alone anyone searching help
> >
> > - I'd think it's a nice thing to understand each other when we meet live
> >  at any place and speak of the subject of our hearts :o)).
> >
> > This is no proposal for a single official pronunciation written in
> > stone, but rather one for an agreement for better understanding.
> >

> > Gruß/regards
> > --
> > Friedrich
> > Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/
> > LibreOffice and more on CD/DVD images
> >

> > --
> > *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
> >

> --
> Prabath Galagamage
> http://textlk.blogspot.com/
> http://agniezine.wordpress.com/
> http://www.ejsa.info

*老朽
頓首

M Henri Day, PhD, MD
Stadshagsvägen 22, 5tr
S-112 50 Stockholm
SUÈDE

Tel : +46 8 6183098
Email : [hidden email]
Skype/Google Talk : mhenriday
http://mhenriday.googlepages.com
http://mhenriday.blogspot.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/mhenriday/*

mgagnonlv mgagnonlv

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

> I saw users having problem pronouncing the software name "LibreOffice"
> in Thailand. ...

I wrote this last week, but I think it was lost somewhere and never made
it to the list:

I'm French speaking, and would refer you to these:
http://fr.thefreedictionary.com/libre
http://en.thefreedictionary.com/office (US flag)

The problem I find with these sound files is that they should be slowed
down.

According to Le Robert (physical dictionary), it is libʀ(ə)
Therefore, the phonetic translitteration of the 1st word is libʀ,
because the last "e" is not pronounced as "ə", but is muted as the
second word is linked to it.
The Office part comes from here:
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/office

The complete name should be something like : libʀˈɒfɪsor libʀˈɔːfɪs
but I would really like an English-speaking person to correct the Office
part.

--

Michel Gagnon – [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Montréal (Québec, Canada) – mgagnon.net <http://mgagnon.net>

Sveinn í Felli Sveinn í Felli

Re: How to pronounce the name (again, sorry)

On 03/29/2011 03:12 PM, skrifaði aqualung:

> Obviously, all francophone users will pronounce LibreOffice one way...
> according to the pronunciation conventions of their language.
>
> The rest of the world, unless they have been exposed to French by learning
> it as a second language, will have no idea.
>
> Before a recommended pronunciation is posted on a web page, agreement on a
> particular one would have to be reached first.
>
> Almost certainly, it won't be the francophone pronunciation (which is too
> alien for people who have not had any practice speaking French). Then, the
> paradoxical situation could arise that a trademark which is clearly French
> in orthography could have a non-French recommended pronunciation.
>
> The French are not going to like that, no sir

Well, 'Libre' is also spanish - but with quite different
pronounciation ('b' approaches 'v').
'Libre' is also italian - but then it means a book, I think.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/libre

Regards,

Sveinn í Felli

Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti

Sveinn í Felli wrote:
> 'Libre' is also italian - but then it means a book, I think.

"Libre" has no meaning in Italian - although it may convey the idea of
"Libero" (free) or indeed of "Libro" (book). However, Italians wouldn't
have problems in pronouncing Libre "the Italian way", which is a bit
closer to Spanish than to French.

Regards,
  Andrea.

italovignoli italovignoli

On 3/29/11 10:10 PM, Sveinn í Felli wrote:

> Well, 'Libre' is also spanish - but with quite different pronounciation
> ('b' approaches 'v').
> 'Libre' is also italian - but then it means a book, I think.

Book in Italian is libro.

Anyway, I think that the English pronunciation of "libre" (as in FLOSS,
free libre open source software) - although slightly different from the
French and the Spanish pronunciation - is to be considered the reference
for every language.

--
Italo Vignoli
[hidden email]