I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Next » 12
Landis Gurney Landis Gurney

I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Is there a module like MS Outlook, that can be tied into MS Exchange mailboxes?  I also use MS Access to tie into another database's tables through ODBC, is that feature available?

Thank you,

Landis Gurney, System Administrator
American National Carbide
915 S. Cherry Street
Tomball, TX 77375
(800) 331-7585 ext. 218 or Local (281) 351-7165

Diane Marie Diane Marie

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Hi,

I didn't understand your response. If you mean: could you enable MS Outlook
Express? Then I just did that.

But I have no idea what "that can be tied into MS Exchange mailboxes," means.

Thank you.

Diane

________________________________

doubi doubi

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Hello Landis,

On 07/04/11 16:34, Landis Gurney wrote:
> Is there a module like MS Outlook, that can be tied into MS Exchange mailboxes?  I also use MS Access to tie into another database's tables through ODBC, is that feature available?

LibreOffice doesn't include an email client. I would suggest you try out
Mozilla Thunderbird instead :-)

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Bests,

-- Ryan

Diane Marie Diane Marie

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Hi Ryan,

I have no idea what this means: "LibreOffice doesn't include an email client. I
would suggest you try out Mozilla Thunderbird instead :-)

To get a response to my original question, I enabled MS outlook Espress. That
didn't work?

Diane

________________________________
> Is there a module like MS Outlook, that can be tied into MS Exchange
>mailboxes?  I also use MS Access to tie into another database's tables through
>ODBC, is that feature available?

LibreOffice doesn't include an email client. I would suggest you try out Mozilla
Thunderbird instead :-)

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Bests,

-- Ryan

-- Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]

doubi doubi

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Hello Diane,

On 07/04/11 17:25, Diane Marie wrote:
> I have no idea what this means: "LibreOffice doesn't include an email client. I
> would suggest you try out Mozilla Thunderbird instead :-)

Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express are just email clients. Email
clients are just programs that you run on your own computer, which
download your email for you so you can read it. The alternative to using
an email client is using "webmail" - viewing your email on the web
somewhere, like Hotmail or Gmail.

So what I was saying was no, LibreOffice does not include an email
"module" as you called it (it's more accurate to call them applications
than modules).

And I was suggesting that if you want an alternative email client to any
flavour of Outlook, you could try Thunderbird, which is a widely used,
mature application developed by Mozilla, who also make the Firefox web
browser.

> To get a response to my original question, I enabled MS outlook Espress. That
> didn't work?

I don't know what you mean here. But in any case, this mailing list is
not for help with Outlook or general tech support, so if you're having a
problem with Outlook you'll have to ask elsewhere.

Bests,

-r

John McAtee John McAtee

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Landis

As you have already seen in other messages there are open source email clients
as substitutes for Outlook but I am not sure that they will work with MS
Exchange.  There are alternatives to MS Exchange which will work with Outlook
and the open source email clients.  The link below is the most recent
descriptions that I could find.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Exchange_Server_Alternatives

As for Access, there is a database function in LO that can act as the front end
to connect to existing databases.  I have not tried to do it in any serious way
but I imagine it is not as easy as falling off a log.  You may have to do some
work to make it function the way you want but it is supposed to work in that
way.

I hope this is helpful.

John McAtee

________________________________

crowleye crowleye

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Why care about an Outlook-like email client? Microsoft Outlook part of the
MS Office Suite, and the apps have ties into each other. You can do an email
merge in Word, pulling data from Excel or Access, and it sends using
Outlook. There is also the ability, when in a an Excel or Word doc, to click
File>Send, and it opens Outlook for you to email the document.

We dropped Outlook for gmail last year, and while we are very happy with
gmail for email, we do miss the suite functionality.

Outlook Express is just a pop client, it has no ties to the Office Suite.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:52, Ryan Jendoubi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Diane,
>
> On 07/04/11 17:25, Diane Marie wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what this means: "LibreOffice doesn't include an email
>> client. I
>> would suggest you try out Mozilla Thunderbird instead :-)
>>

> Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express are just email clients. Email clients
> are just programs that you run on your own computer, which download your
> email for you so you can read it. The alternative to using an email client
> is using "webmail" - viewing your email on the web somewhere, like Hotmail
> or Gmail.
>
> So what I was saying was no, LibreOffice does not include an email "module"
> as you called it (it's more accurate to call them applications than
> modules).
>
> And I was suggesting that if you want an alternative email client to any
> flavour of Outlook, you could try Thunderbird, which is a widely used,
> mature application developed by Mozilla, who also make the Firefox web
> browser.
>
>  To get a response to my original question, I enabled MS outlook Espress.
>> That
>> didn't work?
>>

> I don't know what you mean here. But in any case, this mailing list is not
> for help with Outlook or general tech support, so if you're having a problem
> with Outlook you'll have to ask elsewhere.
>
> Bests,
>
> -r

CaStarCo CaStarCo

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Another solution is to use Mozilla Thunderbird, wich is a good solution, and
can be integrated with Mozilla Sunbird (calendar) with the Lightning plugin.

I suppose that if people likes MS Outlook it's not only because handle mails
but because it's integrated with other tools like calendars and similar
things.

2011/4/7 Crowley, Elizabeth <[hidden email]>

> Why care about an Outlook-like email client? Microsoft Outlook part of the
> MS Office Suite, and the apps have ties into each other. You can do an
> email
> merge in Word, pulling data from Excel or Access, and it sends using
> Outlook. There is also the ability, when in a an Excel or Word doc, to
> click
> File>Send, and it opens Outlook for you to email the document.
>
> We dropped Outlook for gmail last year, and while we are very happy with
> gmail for email, we do miss the suite functionality.
>
> Outlook Express is just a pop client, it has no ties to the Office Suite.
>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:52, Ryan Jendoubi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Diane,
> >
> > On 07/04/11 17:25, Diane Marie wrote:
> >
> >> I have no idea what this means: "LibreOffice doesn't include an email
> >> client. I
> >> would suggest you try out Mozilla Thunderbird instead :-)
> >>

> > Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express are just email clients. Email clients
> > are just programs that you run on your own computer, which download your
> > email for you so you can read it. The alternative to using an email
> client
> > is using "webmail" - viewing your email on the web somewhere, like
> Hotmail
> > or Gmail.
> >
> > So what I was saying was no, LibreOffice does not include an email
> "module"
> > as you called it (it's more accurate to call them applications than
> > modules).
> >
> > And I was suggesting that if you want an alternative email client to any
> > flavour of Outlook, you could try Thunderbird, which is a widely used,
> > mature application developed by Mozilla, who also make the Firefox web
> > browser.
> >
> >  To get a response to my original question, I enabled MS outlook Espress.
> >> That
> >> didn't work?
> >>

> > I don't know what you mean here. But in any case, this mailing list is
> not
> > for help with Outlook or general tech support, so if you're having a
> problem
> > with Outlook you'll have to ask elsewhere.
> >
> > Bests,
> >
> > -r
> >
> > --
> > deleted

- Per la llibertat del coneixement -
- Per la llibertat de la ment...       -

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 13:33 -0400, Crowley, Elizabeth wrote:

> Why care about an Outlook-like email client? Microsoft Outlook part of the
> MS Office Suite, and the apps have ties into each other. You can do an email
> merge in Word, pulling data from Excel or Access, and it sends using
> Outlook. There is also the ability, when in a an Excel or Word doc, to click
> File>Send, and it opens Outlook for you to email the document.
>
> We dropped Outlook for gmail last year, and while we are very happy with
> gmail for email, we do miss the suite functionality.
>
> Outlook Express is just a pop client, it has no ties to the Office Suite.
>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:52, Ryan Jendoubi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Diane,
> >
> > On 07/04/11 17:25, Diane Marie wrote:
> >
> >> I have no idea what this means: "LibreOffice doesn't include an email
> >> client. I
> >> would suggest you try out Mozilla Thunderbird instead :-)
> >>

> > Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express are just email clients. Email clients
> > are just programs that you run on your own computer, which download your
> > email for you so you can read it. The alternative to using an email client
> > is using "webmail" - viewing your email on the web somewhere, like Hotmail
> > or Gmail.
> >
> > So what I was saying was no, LibreOffice does not include an email "module"
> > as you called it (it's more accurate to call them applications than
> > modules).
> >
> > And I was suggesting that if you want an alternative email client to any
> > flavour of Outlook, you could try Thunderbird, which is a widely used,
> > mature application developed by Mozilla, who also make the Firefox web
> > browser.
> >
> >  To get a response to my original question, I enabled MS outlook Espress.
> >> That
> >> didn't work?
> >>

> > I don't know what you mean here. But in any case, this mailing list is not
> > for help with Outlook or general tech support, so if you're having a problem
> > with Outlook you'll have to ask elsewhere.
> >
> > Bests,
> >
> > -r
> >
> > --
> > deleted

Another email client you could try that does support IMAP (Outlook type
email) and POP email is Evolution.
--
Jay Lozier

Diane Marie Diane Marie

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

I saw an article about libreoffice, a free download. I downloaded it. I could
not open it. I asked for help, here.

This morning I've received more than a dozen replies. None of them make any
common sense--at all: none address my question. I am not the "Landis" person.

So I will repeat: I have downloaded LibreOffice. It won't open. How do I open
it? I have no computer/Internet training.

Thank you.

________________________________

CaStarCo CaStarCo

2011/4/7 Diane Marie <[hidden email]>

> I saw an article about libreoffice, a free download. I downloaded it. I
> could
> not open it. I asked for help, here.
>

> This morning I've received more than a dozen replies. None of them make any
> common sense--at all: none address my question. I am not the "Landis"
> person.
>
> So I will repeat: I have downloaded LibreOffice. It won't open. How do I
> open
> it? I have no computer/Internet training.
>
> Thank you.

Wich operative system are you using?
 Windows?
 Linux?
 Mac?

In any case, did you downloaded the LibreOffice installer from
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ ? If you did, then, our answer should
depend on the system are you using.

In the Windows case, I suppose you've dowloaded a file named
LibO_3.3.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe<http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.3.2/win/x86/LibO_3.3.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe>
,
in that case you must double-click on it and the installer will do all the
work (but you must click "Accept" when the program ask for it).

In the Mac case, i can't answer, i don't know the system.

In the Linux case, i don't think that you are using linux, but... in any
case, i think it's preferible install using the standard way of your system,
the "software center" in Ubuntu, or with other tools in other distributions.

Kind regards.

> ________________________________

Anthony Jeffries Anthony Jeffries

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Diane Marie Diane Marie

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Windows XP. Like I stated, I've already downloaded it. It won't open.

________________________________

CaStarCo CaStarCo

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

2011/4/7 Diane Marie <[hidden email]>

> Windows XP. Like I stated, I've already downloaded it. It won't open.

How many megabytes have the file you downloaded? may be the problem is that
the download is broken for any reason and the file that you have is
corrupted. The correct file is around 214 MB of size, i think that it's
unprobable that you've downloaded 214 MB in 10 minutes...

--
- Per la llibertat del coneixement -
- Per la llibertat de la ment...       -

Diane Marie Diane Marie

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Costar:

Where are you people coming from? I didn't download it in ten minutes. I only
got 19.1 mg and I did not stop it. I followed precise directions.

Here is where I downloaded it.

LibO_3.3.2_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.exe 8.5 MB (en-US - English (US))

Something is goofy.

I won't reload. I will get off this so-called "support" site and dump the
program--what I have.

________________________________

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Am 07.04.2011 20:32, schrieb Diane Marie:

> LibO_3.3.2_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.exe 8.5 MB (en-US - English (US))
>
> Something is goofy.

Well, that´s the help pack only. It´s isn´t of any help unless you
download and install the main package first.

Stefan

CaStarCo CaStarCo

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

Diane Marie, if you getted 19,1 mb the problem is on your internet
connection, not in the libreoffice support or libreoffice servers. I've
downloaded a few minutes ago to try it.

In any case, this list is to help the people, but you should understand that
the people who answer your questions aren't paid, they are volunteers .
Libreoffice is a community, not a bussiness... i think you should respect
the people who are working to collaborate with all the world without asking
for a recompense...

Kind regards.

2011/4/7 Diane Marie <[hidden email]>

> Costar:
>
> Where are you people coming from? I didn't download it in ten minutes. I
> only
> got 19.1 mg and I did not stop it. I followed precise directions.
>
> Here is where I downloaded it.
>
> LibO_3.3.2_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.exe 8.5 MB (en-US - English (US))
>
> Something is goofy.
>
> I won't reload. I will get off this so-called "support" site and dump the
> program--what I have.
>

> ________________________________

aqualung aqualung

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

No offense to any of the participants (seriously!) but this thread is pure comedy gold
aqualung aqualung

Re: I am downloading LibreOffice to try it out.

I've noticed there was some talk among the moderators about whether to allow the above post through.

I do apologize, I should have kept my amusement to myself. After all, for the people who came here to find answers to their questions it was no laughing matter.

Possibly what caused the "crossed wires" in this thread was the unfamiliarity of the second poster with this odd mailinglist/forum hybrid called Nabble.

Others have remarked that LibreOffice should have a regular forum where users can go to ask for assistance.

This Nabble was very hard to find for me, at the time I did not see it advertised prominently on any TDF / LibO web page. Now, I did know already about the two widely-trafficked OpenOffice volunteer forums, especially http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/.

In the long run, however, it would be better either for LibO/TDF to set up their own forum (not a Nabble which poses extra difficulty) or to discuss with the management of the two premier OOo user forums a rebranding to give LibO equal billing.

Mailing lists are not convenient or agreeable to the general public. People want a forum that works the way they are used to: not a Google user group, or two discussion pages on sourceforge.net, or a Nabble. This need not mean that mailing lists get shut down. Scribus, for example, is keeping its mailing lists but recently set up a dedicated forum as well.

Ken Springer Ken Springer

On 4/8/11 2:42 AM, aqualung wrote:

> Possibly what caused the "crossed wires" in this thread was the
> unfamiliarity of the second poster with this odd mailinglist/forum hybrid
> called Nabble.
>
> Others
> http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/03/14/how-large-is-the-libreoffice-community-a-mailing-list-approach/#comments
> have remarked  that LibreOffice should have a regular forum where users can
> go to ask for assistance.
>
> This Nabble was very hard to find for me, at the time I did not see it
> advertised prominently on any TDF / LibO web page. Now, I did know already
> about the two widely-trafficked OpenOffice volunteer forums, especially
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/.
>
> In the long run, however, it would be better either for LibO/TDF to set up
> their own forum (not a Nabble which poses extra difficulty) or to discuss
> with the management of the two premier OOo user forums a rebranding to give
> LibO equal billing.
>
> Mailing lists are not convenient or agreeable to the general public. People
> want a forum that works the way they are used to: not a Google user group,
> or two discussion pages on sourceforge.net, or a Nabble. This need not mean
> that mailing lists get shut down. Scribus, for example, is keeping its
> mailing lists but recently set up a  http://forums.scribus.net/index.php
> dedicated forum  as well.

If you think finding Nabble and other help in the Libre Office site is
hard, try Mozilla!!  Horrendous!l  Great eye candy, but not particularly
functional for finding help.

If Libre Office goes to a forum format, I'm outta here.  Forums are
resource hungry and slow.  To me, forums assume the user is to stupid or
ignorant to master newsgroups.  If you want efficiency, use newsgroups.
  I access this mailing list via gmane.org, where access to a mailing
list is reformatted to act like a newsgroup.  Far, far simpler and easy
to use.

Now, if Libre Office offered both forum style access and newsgroup style
access to the same help database, I wouldn't care.  But, if LO doesn't
tell people about either or both ways of access help, then LO PTB can't
complain about one or the other system not being used.

Ken

Next » 12