I know I shouldn't but I'll do it anyway....

Olivier Hallot Olivier Hallot

I know I shouldn't but I'll do it anyway....

Noel Grandin-2 Noel Grandin-2

Re: I know I shouldn't but I'll do it anyway....

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Olivier Hallot <[hidden email]> wrote:

suggest to replace the start center with a grid of recent files
thumbnails...

Whoever opened an Office 2013 application with no document loaded knows
what I am talking about. And we can do better.

Good idea.

I don't see why we can't have both links to the applications and a set of recent files.

I have no idea why start screens always use so little of the available display.

Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2

Re: I know I shouldn't but I'll do it anyway....

Hi Olivier,

On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 15:57 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> Whoever opened an Office 2013 application with no document loaded knows
> what I am talking about. And we can do better.

        Prolly best to take that to ux-advise and/or the design list to come up
with a good design.

        Thanks !

                Michael.

Anthony Youngman Anthony Youngman

On 15/02/2013 18:14, Noel Grandin wrote:
> I have no idea why start screens always use so little of the available
> display.
Because an app pinching the entire damn screen isn't always welcome?!?!

I *hate* apps running full-screen - what's the joke? "a gui is a means
of happening several xterms visible at once" ...

But seriously, "the available display" is NOT the entire screen. It
should be whatever the user chooses to give you, and that's not always
as much as you'd like. Yes I know most lusers seem to like full-screen
apps. That's no reason to upset the power users by forcing them to work
your way. That's why I hate Word ...

Cheers,
Wol
Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: I know I shouldn't but I'll do it anyway....

Hi everyone,
linking back to ancient times (dont be confused by the branding :-)
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User:ChristophNoack/Drafts/WelcomeCenter_2010

Cheers,
Christoph

Noel Grandin <[hidden email]> schrieb:

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Olivier Hallot <[hidden email]> wrote:

suggest to replace the start center with a grid of recent files
thumbnails...

Whoever opened an Office 2013 application with no document loaded knows
what I am talking about. And we can do better.

Good idea.

I don't see why we can't have both links to the applications and a set of recent files.

I have no idea why start screens always use so little of the available display.

Sent via mobile...ml>
Ruslan Kabatsayev Ruslan Kabatsayev

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Noel Grandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Olivier Hallot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> suggest to replace the start center with a grid of recent files
>> thumbnails...
>>
>> Whoever opened an Office 2013 application with no document loaded knows
>> what I am talking about. And we can do better.
>>

> Good idea.
>
> I don't see why we can't have both links to the applications and a set of
> recent files.
>
> I have no idea why start screens always use so little of the available
> display.

I hope by available display you mean window size, not screen
resolution?.. Of course, I'd be quite annoyed if I can't make the app
window smaller than my screen is. Also, take such machines as netbooks
into account. They can have as small as 1024x600 screens. Will this
still work on them?

Ruslan
Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Christoph Noack wrote:
> linking back to ancient times (dont be confused by the branding :-)
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User:ChristophNoack/Drafts/WelcomeCenter_2010

Hey Chris!!

Good to know you're still watching - and thanks for the link, good
stuff there.

Let's move the discussion to ux-advise though. :)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten