I like the name LibreOffice

Next » 12
Jean Weber Jean Weber

I like the name LibreOffice

If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
"Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."

If I have to explain what "OpenOffice.org" means, it's a much bigger
problem, even without the complication of the ".org" part. Most people
have never heard of "open source" or "open standards" or "open" anything
else. How to explain it in less than ten words? And even if I do, most
people don't care, don't understand why they should care, and think I am
one of those geek fanatics for even talking about it. They shake their
heads and go away.

But "free, as in liberty" they can understand. They are interested,
enough for me to say "you can make as many copies as you like, and give
it away; it's all legal, no hassles."

It's a good name.

--Jean

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi,

Jean Hollis Weber schrieb:
> If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
> "Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."

YES! :-)

Formerly, the office was opened, now it´s freed.  ;-)

Stefan

Jean-Christophe Helary Jean-Christophe Helary

On 7 oct. 10, at 20:41, Stefan Weigel wrote:
> Jean Hollis Weber schrieb:
>> If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
>> "Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."
>
> YES! :-)
>
> Formerly, the office was opened, now it´s freed.  ;-)

Exactly. That is indeed a very good name.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

On 2010-10-07 7:16 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
> "Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."

<snip>

> It's a good name.

+10

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Stefan, *,

Stefan Weigel schrieb:
>Jean Hollis Weber schrieb:

>> If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
>> "Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."

>YES! :-)

>Formerly, the office was opened, now it´s freed.  ;-)

+1

to both statements

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich

Ansprechpartner / contact person for the "PrOOo-Box"
german language OpenOffice.org and more on CD/DVD
http://prooo-box.org

Martín Olivera Martín Olivera

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

I like the name very much, because it enhances i18n, it is a "more
universal" name, and it shows that multilingualism is important and global
multicultural cooperation is possible, or better, LibreOffice is a fact of
these both issues became reality

-- desde el Android-o-fono

El oct 7, 2010 10:52 a.m., "Friedrich Strohmaier" <
[hidden email]> escribió:

Hi Stefan, *,

Stefan Weigel schrieb:

>Jean Hollis Weber schrieb: >> If I have to explain to someone what
"LibreOffice" means, it's easy:...
+1

to both statements

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich

Ansprechpartner / contact person for the "PrOOo-Box"
german language OpenOffice.org and more on CD/DVD
http://prooo-box.org

undation.org>All
messages...

Klaus Doblmann Klaus Doblmann

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:00:15 -0300
Martín Olivera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the name very much, because it enhances i18n, it is a "more
> universal" name, and it shows that multilingualism is important and global
> multicultural cooperation is possible, or better, LibreOffice is a fact of
> these both issues became reality

That's the way I feel about it, too. The only problem I see applies for
all names we might choose for the project: Ordinary people have just
started to recognise the "brand" OpenOffice, it might take them years
to adapt to a new name.

But, in general, I really like "LibreOffice" and do not feel it needs
to be changed.

Klaus

--
Klaus Doblmann B.A. - FSF member #7570
Web: http://www.dokla.net - meine neue Seite (derzeit im Aufbau)

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Christoph Noack-2 Christoph Noack-2

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Klaus,

please don't mind that I respond to your mail ;-)

Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Klaus Doblmann:
> Ordinary people have just
> started to recognise the "brand" OpenOffice, it might take them years
> to adapt to a new name.

Some minor correction - either "OpenOffice.org", or "Open Office". Here
we see the difficulties with brands in general. So at the moment we do
have two different brands (but similar naming), and an ".org" that gets
omitted most of the time.

To me, it depends on us - the community - to communicate that new brand.
May it be the press, trade fairs or even personal contact with our
friends (you know, most of the people using OOo get it recommended by
friends or colleagues). The good thing is, the community values didn't
change, only the name. So it might cause effort, but it's doable. And
for me - personally - it's worth the effort (disclaimer: if there is no
way to use OOo).

Cheers,
Christoph

Klaus Doblmann Klaus Doblmann

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:26:21 +0200
Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> please don't mind that I respond to your mail ;-)
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Klaus Doblmann:
> > Ordinary people have just
> > started to recognise the "brand" OpenOffice, it might take them years
> > to adapt to a new name.
>
> Some minor correction - either "OpenOffice.org", or "Open Office". Here
> we see the difficulties with brands in general. So at the moment we do
> have two different brands (but similar naming), and an ".org" that gets
> omitted most of the time.

Hi Christoph,

I was referring to it as "OpenOffice" because that's what ordinary
people on the street call it. That's also why I wouldn't call
Libreoffice Libreoffice.org as it might create confusion and saying
"dot org" or "Punkt org" is something most people won't do and don't
want to do because it's - for most - not clear to pronounce.

> To me, it depends on us - the community - to communicate that new brand.
> May it be the press, trade fairs or even personal contact with our
> friends (you know, most of the people using OOo get it recommended by
> friends or colleagues).

Definitely! I've already switched a few people over - that's how it's
done. But it'll be difficult to get - especially the mainstream- media
behind the new concept (and "abandon" OOo more or less) but that
will also be the effort of us as a community. Im currently studying to
get my master's degree in "media and communications" (in the Bavarian
city Passau) so that would definitely be a field where I could/would
help out - if, as you said, there's no way to continue using the name
OOo.

cheers,
Klaus

--
Klaus Doblmann B.A. - FSF member #7570
Web: http://www.dokla.net - meine neue Seite (derzeit im Aufbau)
Blog: http://straightrazorguy.net
PGP-Key: http://dokla.net/pgp_key.asc
http://twitter.com/klausdoblmann

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Christoph Noack-2 Christoph Noack-2

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Klaus, all!

Before I forget it: I really had to smile today when I read some of your
messages - starting with the one by Jean. So I took some and compiled a
blog posting [1]; I hope that's okay to you.

Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 19:48 +0200 schrieb Klaus Doblmann:
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:26:21 +0200
> Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

>  Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Klaus Doblmann:
> > > Ordinary people have just
> > > started to recognise the "brand" OpenOffice, it might take them years
> > > to adapt to a new name.
> >
> > Some minor correction - either "OpenOffice.org", or "Open Office". Here
> > we see the difficulties with brands in general. So at the moment we do
> > have two different brands (but similar naming), and an ".org" that gets
> > omitted most of the time.
>
> Hi Christoph,
>
> I was referring to it as "OpenOffice" because that's what ordinary
> people on the street call it. That's also why I wouldn't call
> Libreoffice Libreoffice.org as it might create confusion and saying
> "dot org" or "Punkt org" is something most people won't do and don't
> want to do because it's - for most - not clear to pronounce.

You addressed a good point here - people skip the ".org" and therefore
it is a less good name with regard to a product name. Moreover, even the
press missed/omitted the ".org" part. However, when the name was chosen,
there was a reason for this. Luckily, there is no need to add a ".org"
to LibreOffice (although it is a real ".org" product *g*).

> > To me, it depends on us - the community - to communicate that new brand.
> > May it be the press, trade fairs or even personal contact with our
> > friends (you know, most of the people using OOo get it recommended by
> > friends or colleagues).
>
> Definitely! I've already switched a few people over - that's how it's
> done. But it'll be difficult to get - especially the mainstream- media
> behind the new concept (and "abandon" OOo more or less) but that
> will also be the effort of us as a community. Im currently studying to
> get my master's degree in "media and communications" (in the Bavarian
> city Passau) so that would definitely be a field where I could/would
> help out - if, as you said, there's no way to continue using the name
> OOo.

Wow! First, the media and communications (that's really interesting to
me, by the way), and second, that you are living in Passau. Do you have
any connections to the rest of the German community. As far as I know,
they are rather active in the south.

Back to your great offer - did you already subscribe to the marketing
list? My mail program tells me that you are on l10n and tdf-discuss ...
so don't miss it :-)

Enjoy your evening!

Christoph

[1]
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/10/thats-what-others-say-i-like-name.html
also on http://planet.documentfoundation.org/

Klaus Doblmann Klaus Doblmann

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:39:17 +0200
Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Klaus, all!

[...]

> > Hi Christoph,
> >
> > I was referring to it as "OpenOffice" because that's what ordinary
> > people on the street call it. That's also why I wouldn't call
> > Libreoffice Libreoffice.org as it might create confusion and saying
> > "dot org" or "Punkt org" is something most people won't do and don't
> > want to do because it's - for most - not clear to pronounce.
>
> You addressed a good point here - people skip the ".org" and therefore
> it is a less good name with regard to a product name. Moreover, even the
> press missed/omitted the ".org" part. However, when the name was chosen,
> there was a reason for this. Luckily, there is no need to add a ".org"
> to LibreOffice (although it is a real ".org" product *g*).

Hi Christoph!

To sum it up: LibreOffice is a genuine .org product, but we don't need
to rub that into people's faces - the "Libre"-part takes care of that
already :D
By the way: It's great so see so many people getting behind the name
after all these discussions about it.

[...]
> Wow! First, the media and communications (that's really interesting to
> me, by the way), and second, that you are living in Passau. Do you have
> any connections to the rest of the German community. As far as I know,
> they are rather active in the south.
>
> Back to your great offer - did you already subscribe to the marketing
> list? My mail program tells me that you are on l10n and tdf-discuss ...
> so don't miss it :-)

I don't (yet) have local contacts in the community because I haven't
been a part of OOo before. I'm coming from the Ubuntu background,
triaged a few bugs on launchpad, help test new releases from their
first day on, did some translations here and there and generally just
helped people (on the forums and in RL) where I had the knowledge to
help.
I just heard about the fork from OOo (a program(suite) I very much care
about as a user) and told myself that's something I want to get into and
support in the areas I can. A new beginning, a fresh start is always a
great time to get involved and that's why I'm heading over to the
marketing list right now :D

Have a great evening too (all of you!)
take care,
Klaus

--
Klaus Doblmann B.A. - FSF member #7570
Web: http://www.dokla.net - meine neue Seite (derzeit im Aufbau)
Blog: http://straightrazorguy.net
PGP-Key: http://dokla.net/pgp_key.asc
http://twitter.com/klausdoblmann

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 20:39 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
> Hi Klaus, all!
>
> Before I forget it: I really had to smile today when I read some of your
> messages - starting with the one by Jean. So I took some and compiled a
> blog posting [1]; I hope that's okay to you.

> [1]
> http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/10/thats-what-others-say-i-like-name.html
> also on http://planet.documentfoundation.org/

It's okay with me! I wrote a blog post too (in addition to my note to
the list), but it's nice to be quoted in someone else's blog. :-)

http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?p=1213

--Jean

Am Freitag, den 08.10.2010, 06:28 +1000 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:
> It's okay with me! I wrote a blog post too (in addition to my note to
> the list), but it's nice to be quoted in someone else's blog. :-)
>
> http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?p=1213

Sorry, I didn't notice that ... maybe you are not listed (yet) on the
LibO planet? (hint hint hint).

Cheers,
Christoph

IndianArt IndianArt

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Guys,

If people are having trouble with pronouncing "Libre" then I propose we
fondly call LibreOffice "LO".

What do you Guys think of "LO"?

Best regards,
Paul

PS Read below to see what I mean:

http://www.computerworld.com/comments/node/9188338#comment-665135

In my country (NL) the name
Submitted by Karen on September 29, 2010 - 03:28.
In my country (NL) the name of success is English. Thus all great
products get English names. So why name it "Libre"? Are they
insensitive for marketing or is ideological? I say: come on guys, come
up with a decent name!

Submitted by Anonymous on October 2, 2010 - 16:01.
Time to broaden your horizons Karen

Ask the Canadians & Americans, they respect the fact that it is nice to
know more than one language. The way its going Spanish may soon be the
first language in USA.

Etymology. From Spanish and French libre (“free, having liberty,
 at
liberty”)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary:libre

How about another example: Ubuntu...
Heard of it only recently but millions use it & benefit from it. That's
also free as in 'Libre'

reply | report this comment

Le 2010-10-08 14:53, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Hi Guys,
>
> If people are having trouble with pronouncing "Libre" then I propose we
> fondly call LibreOffice "LO".
>
> What do you Guys think of "LO"?
>
> Best regards,
> Paul

Most are using LibO for now.

Marc

Note:  Please bottom post on the mailist.

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 20:29 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Jean!
>
> Am Freitag, den 08.10.2010, 06:28 +1000 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:
> > It's okay with me! I wrote a blog post too (in addition to my note to
> > the list), but it's nice to be quoted in someone else's blog. :-)
> >
> > http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?p=1213
>
> Sorry, I didn't notice that ... maybe you are not listed (yet) on the
> LibO planet? (hint hint hint).
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Christoph,
How do I get listed? Just ask here to be added? Or is there someplace on
the page that I missed? :-)
http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?feed=rss2

--Jean

Jon Hamkins-2 Jon Hamkins-2

On 10/07/2010 04:16 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
> "Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."
>
> If I have to explain what "OpenOffice.org" means, it's a much bigger
> problem, even without the complication of the ".org" part. Most people
> have never heard of "open source" or "open standards" or "open" anything
> else.

This post just doesn't resonate with me at all.  To explain what
LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre means, because it
isn't an English word.  It's as easy to explain as any other foreign
word, I suppose, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

On the other hand, I don't have to explain OpenOffice.org, because it's
already in the lexicon -- 300 million people have already downloaded it.
  For those that haven't, they at least already know what "open" means,
and it's easy to explain how that relates to the software.  Also, people
who know about "open source" instantly recognize from the name its
similarity to other open tools such as openssh, openldap, openvpn, etc.
-- in the same way that the prefix "gnu" indicates something about
gnuplot, gnucash, and gnupg.

A good chunk of the posts on this mailing list, and in comments to
stories on TDF announcement, are about the choice of the name, how to
pronounce it, etc.  Slashdot comments were particularly harsh, and
fairly universal, in their dislike for the name:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/09/28/143204/OpenOfficeorg-Declares-Independence-From-Oracle-Becomes-LibreOffice
http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1801996&cid=33722340
http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1801996&cid=33725276

I'm not going to let my disappointment in the name damper my enthusiasm
of the project, which is strong.  I'm talking up the project to friends
and family, even.  Others are in the same boat.  This shouldn't be
confused with *liking* the name.

      ----Jon

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Am Samstag, den 09.10.2010, 07:18 +1000 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:
> Christoph,
> How do I get listed? Just ask here to be added? Or is there someplace
> on the page that I missed? :-)
> http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?feed=rss2

I forwarded your request and somebody (Florian in this case) was so nice
to add your feed. Nice blogging time :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

Paul A Norman Paul A Norman

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Jon,

I really agree with you.

Its not about how the 'name' works for any of us, but for potential users.

As bad as it may sound, we need to think as if we were actually
relying on marketing it as a paid product (which I am not advocating)
but still need to think about market reactions as commercial people
would - and even better!!!

Paul

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-11 16:36, Jon Hamkins a écrit :

> On 10/07/2010 04:16 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
>> If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
>> "Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."
>>
>> If I have to explain what "OpenOffice.org" means, it's a much bigger
>> problem, even without the complication of the ".org" part. Most people
>> have never heard of "open source" or "open standards" or "open" anything
>> else.
>
> This post just doesn't resonate with me at all. To explain what
> LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre means, because it
> isn't an English word. It's as easy to explain as any other foreign
> word, I suppose, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
>
> On the other hand, I don't have to explain OpenOffice.org, because it's
> already in the lexicon -- 300 million people have already downloaded it.
> For those that haven't, they at least already know what "open" means,
> and it's easy to explain how that relates to the software. Also, people
> who know about "open source" instantly recognize from the name its
> similarity to other open tools such as openssh, openldap, openvpn, etc.
> -- in the same way that the prefix "gnu" indicates something about
> gnuplot, gnucash, and gnupg.
>
> A good chunk of the posts on this mailing list, and in comments to
> stories on TDF announcement, are about the choice of the name, how to
> pronounce it, etc. Slashdot comments were particularly harsh, and fairly
> universal, in their dislike for the name:
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/09/28/143204/OpenOfficeorg-Declares-Independence-From-Oracle-Becomes-LibreOffice
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1801996&cid=33722340
> http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1801996&cid=33725276
>
> I'm not going to let my disappointment in the name damper my enthusiasm
> of the project, which is strong. I'm talking up the project to friends
> and family, even. Others are in the same boat. This shouldn't be
> confused with *liking* the name.
>
> ----Jon

Hi Jon:

Unfortunately, we do not have the statistical data for this. If we did
have statistical data telling us the number of downloads based on
languages and country destination, it would then be easier to make the
statement that explaining the word "Libre" is more difficult to explain
than "Open" if the majority of downloads were for English speaking
users. If for example, the majority of downloads were done for
latin-based lanuguages, then the word "Libre" is of no consequence and
perhaps better representative of the suite than the word "Open" -- the
word "Open" in this case would be more difficult to explain than the
word "Libre".

So, without any statistical data to base it on, it is most likely not
correct to make sweeping statements that "Libre" is difficult to
pronounce and explain and the reverse is also true, that "Open" is
difficult to pronounce and explain.

It is obvious that the pronunciation/explanation issues may be difficult
for some languages whereas easy for others.

You can view listings of the "most popular spoken languages spoken on
earth" at sites just as this
(http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/most_spoken_languages.htm). *
Note --- chart statistics on different sites may vary a little bit, but
the overall ranking is similar. The bottom line is that there are just
more non-English speaking countries in the world and I don't really know
of these, how many the word "Libre" would easily understood. Latin based
languages, again, "Libre" is clearly well understood.

My personal opinion is that "Libre" is more representative of the
understanding behind the "LibreOffice" philosophy, but that "OpenOffice"
at this point does have the marketing advantage of the brand.

Marc

Next » 12