I like the name LibreOffice

12 « Prev
Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

On 2010-10-12 5:36 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
> My personal opinion is that "Libre" is more representative of the
> understanding behind the "LibreOffice" philosophy, but that "OpenOffice"
> at this point does have the marketing advantage of the brand.

As I said, I like the new name. I would only like OpenOffice better if
it didn't need the .org tacked on after it (yes I know why it does).

Nevertheless, I think this thread should be declared dead, and this
entire discussion should be memorialized on a web page that can be
linked to whenever anyone brings it up again...

Charles

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-12 07:54, Charles Marcus a écrit :

> On 2010-10-12 5:36 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
>> My personal opinion is that "Libre" is more representative of the
>> understanding behind the "LibreOffice" philosophy, but that "OpenOffice"
>> at this point does have the marketing advantage of the brand.
>
> As I said, I like the new name. I would only like OpenOffice better if
> it didn't need the .org tacked on after it (yes I know why it does).
>
> Nevertheless, I think this thread should be declared dead, and this
> entire discussion should be memorialized on a web page that can be
> linked to whenever anyone brings it up again...

Thanks Charles. The note was really meant for Jon, but OK.

Marc

Manfred Usselmann Manfred Usselmann

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 07:54:54 -0400
Charles Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2010-10-12 5:36 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that "Libre" is more representative of the
> > understanding behind the "LibreOffice" philosophy, but that
> > "OpenOffice" at this point does have the marketing advantage of the
> > brand.
>
> As I said, I like the new name. I would only like OpenOffice better if
> it didn't need the .org tacked on after it (yes I know why it does).

OpenOffice.libre ;-)

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Jon,

Jon Hamkins schrieb:

> To explain what
> LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre means, because it
> isn't an English word.

Well, LibreOffice isn´t an English product. It´s made by an
international community from all over the world. And it´s made for
users all over the world. I am sure, it will be available in an
amazing number of different languages.

So, why do you think things would be easier, if the name of the
product was English?

> It's as easy to explain as any other foreign
> word

What do you mean by "foreign"? I think, "open" is a foreign word to
at least as many people as "libre" is.

> On the other hand, I don't have to explain OpenOffice.org, because it's
> already in the lexicon -- 300 million people have already downloaded it.
>  For those that haven't, they at least already know what "open" means,
> and it's easy to explain how that relates to the software.

Yes, but now the software is not (only) open any more, but has
become free (in sense of liberty). And IMO it´s a very good way to
demonstrate this transition by the changing of the name from
"OpenOffice" to "LibreOffice".

Stefan.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Stefan,

2010/10/12 Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]>

> Hi Jon,
>
> Jon Hamkins schrieb:
>

>  To explain what LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre
>> means, because it isn't an English word.
>>

> Well, LibreOffice isn´t an English product. It´s made by an international
> community from all over the world. And it´s made for users all over the
> world. I am sure, it will be available in an amazing number of different
> languages.
>
> So, why do you think things would be easier, if the name of the product was
> English?
>

>  It's as easy to explain as any other foreign word
>>

> What do you mean by "foreign"? I think, "open" is a foreign word to at
> least as many people as "libre" is.

Well, I'm a Czech and my native language is Czech. The problem I have with
"LibreOffice" is that it's just hard to pronounce. I'm not very good at
saying the French "r", so I try to say "LibreOffice" with an English accent,
which doesn't sound very good either. "LibreOffice" with a Czech accent
sounds even worse.

It's not a problem of foreign words: "OpenOffice" is easy to pronounce for
Czechs, just like "e-mail", "Firefox", "Google," "Linux," "Inkscape," and
other English-based names. But "LibreOffice" is just a bit too complex,
mainly due to the French "r" and the different possible pronunciations of
"Libre".o the French "r" and the different possible pronunciations of
"Libre".

Martín Olivera Martín Olivera

2010/10/12 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>

> Hi Stefan,
>
> 2010/10/12 Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Jon Hamkins schrieb:
> >

> >  To explain what LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre
> >> means, because it isn't an English word.
> >>

> > Well, LibreOffice isn´t an English product. It´s made by an international
> > community from all over the world. And it´s made for users all over the
> > world. I am sure, it will be available in an amazing number of different
> > languages.
> >
> > So, why do you think things would be easier, if the name of the product
> was
> > English?
> >

> >  It's as easy to explain as any other foreign word
> >>

> > What do you mean by "foreign"? I think, "open" is a foreign word to at
> > least as many people as "libre" is.
>

> Well, I'm a Czech and my native language is Czech. The problem I have with
> "LibreOffice" is that it's just hard to pronounce. I'm not very good at
> saying the French "r", so I try to say "LibreOffice" with an English
> accent,
> which doesn't sound very good either. "LibreOffice" with a Czech accent
> sounds even worse.
>
> It's not a problem of foreign words: "OpenOffice" is easy to pronounce for
> Czechs, just like "e-mail", "Firefox", "Google," "Linux," "Inkscape," and
> other English-based names. But "LibreOffice" is just a bit too complex,
> mainly due to the French "r" and the different possible pronunciations of
> "Libre".o the French "r" and the different possible pronunciations of
> "Libre".

I am from Argentina, spanish is my native language, and I do not pronounce
Libre with a french R, but with a spanish one ;)

in "like-english" I guess that LibreOffice may be pronounced like if it were
spelled "LiberOffice" and it would be OK for everybody

> >  On the other hand, I don't have to explain OpenOffice.org, because it's
> >> already in the lexicon -- 300 million people have already downloaded it.
> >>  For those that haven't, they at least already know what "open" means,
> and
> >> it's easy to explain how that relates to the software.
> >>

> > Yes, but now the software is not (only) open any more, but has become
> free
> > (in sense of liberty). And IMO it´s a very good way to demonstrate this
> > transition by the changing of the name from "OpenOffice" to
> "LibreOffice".
> >
> > Stefan.
> >

> > --

Martín Olivera
microblog en http://identi.ca/martinolivera
blog en http://blog.martinolivera.com.ar
jabber en [hidden email]

Asociación SOLAR Software Libre Argentina - http://www.solar.org.ar
Comunidad Ginga Argentina - http://comunidad.ginga.org.ar

Miguelángel León Miguelángel León

El 12/10/10 15:44, Martín Olivera escribió:

> 2010/10/12 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> 2010/10/12 Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi Jon,
>>>
>>> Jon Hamkins schrieb:
>>>

>>>  To explain what LibreOffice means, first I have to explain what libre
>>>>

>>> Well, LibreOffice isn´t an English product. It´s made by an international
>>> community from all over the world. And it´s made for users all over the
>>> world. I am sure, it will be available in an amazing number of different
>>> languages.
>>>
>>> So, why do you think things would be easier, if the name of the product
>> was
>>> English?
>>>

>>>  It's as easy to explain as any other foreign word
>>>>

>>> What do you mean by "foreign"? I think, "open" is a foreign word to at
>>> least as many people as "libre" is.
>>

>> Well, I'm a Czech and my native language is Czech. The problem I have with
>> "LibreOffice" is that it's just hard to pronounce. I'm not very good at
>> saying the French "r", so I try to say "LibreOffice" with an English
>> accent,
>> which doesn't sound very good either. "LibreOffice" with a Czech accent
>> sounds even worse.
>>
>> It's not a problem of foreign words: "OpenOffice" is easy to pronounce for
>> Czechs, just like "e-mail", "Firefox", "Google," "Linux," "Inkscape," and
>> other English-based names. But "LibreOffice" is just a bit too complex,
>> mainly due to the French "r" and the different possible pronunciations of
>> "Libre".o the French "r" and the different possible pronunciations of
>> "Libre".
>>

> I am from Argentina, spanish is my native language, and I do not pronounce
> Libre with a french R, but with a spanish one ;)
>
> in "like-english" I guess that LibreOffice may be pronounced like if it were
> spelled "LiberOffice" and it would be OK for everybody

Of course, Czech people could pronounce libre easily if simply pronounce
the "r" like spanish speaking people do.

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Mirek, *,

Mirek M. schrieb:

> Well, I'm a Czech and my native language is Czech. The problem I have
> with "LibreOffice" is that it's just hard to pronounce. I'm not very
> good at saying the French "r", so I try to say "LibreOffice" with an
> English accent, which doesn't sound very good either. "LibreOffice"
> with a Czech accent sounds even worse.

It's not necessarily bad, if the Name has some hurdles with
pronunciation. As we see in this and other threads: this gets people in
touch. ;o))

Finally there will be several flavors of pronunciation - and good
moments if they meat each other! :o))

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich

Ansprechpartner / contact person for the "PrOOo-Box"
german language "best Office Suite ever" and more on CD/DVD
http://prooo-box.org  -- footer updated on 2010-10-07

Christoph Noack-2 Christoph Noack-2

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Friedrich!

Am Dienstag, den 12.10.2010, 23:01 +0200 schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
> Finally there will be several flavors of pronunciation - and good
> moments if they meat each other! :o))
                  ^^^^

I hope this was just a typo ;-)))

Cheers,
Christoph

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi Christoph, *,

Christoph Noack schrieb:
>Am Dienstag, den 12.10.2010, 23:01 +0200 schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:

>> Finally there will be several flavors of pronunciation - and good
>> moments if they meat each other! :o))
>                  ^^^^

>I hope this was just a typo ;-)))

Oh, yes and indeed one of my top ten! :o)))

Thanks for proof reading that attentive!

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich

Ansprechpartner / contact person for the "PrOOo-Box"
german language "best Office Suite ever" and more on CD/DVD
http://prooo-box.org  -- footer updated on 2010-10-07

Paul A Norman Paul A Norman

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

It would be nice to have something that works really well in
International English, and that sounded good to Asians as well.
Chinese friends inform me that they sometimes have troubole with
words/part words that end in R

My Indian friends for the most part would have no trouble saying the
name (though it may mean little to them having no immeadiate English
cognate) - most of their languages and dialects are very rich in
sounds that many other ethnicities can barely even distinguish.

I speak some French and Spanish and it rolls of my toungue beautifully
especially in Spanish.

I really believe that this  will prove more important than some have
yet thought.

Corporations have been known to invest millions on this one thng alone
- I kid you not!

Serious research/thought would be really worthwhile - esp if there is
someone on the list with relevent background.

Why not languagae Group Names?

Romance Languages: LibreOffice

International  English: FreeOffice

Mandarin: Office-免费

Paul

Paul A Norman schrieb:

> Romance Languages: LibreOffice
>
> International  English: FreeOffice

Don´t use "free"! This would cause misunderstanding:

FreeOffice --> free office --> gratis office

The product is not (only / necessarily) free of charge ("freeware").
It´s free in sense of liberty.

Stefan

IndianArt IndianArt

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Hi All,

Completely agree with Paul Norman.

Being an Indian myself, I completely agree with his insight.

I also completely agree with his suggestion:
Why not languagae Group Names?]

Romance Languages: LibreOfficeInternational

 English: FreeOffice

Sorry Can't give you any input on 'Mandarin: Office-免费' Hope our Chinese
friends can help.

Best Regards,
Paul

[...]
Christoph Noack schrieb:>>Am Dienstag, den 12.10.2010, 23:01 +0200
schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:>>>> Finally there will be several flavors
of pronunciation - and good>>> moments if they meat each other! :o))>>
               ^^^^>>>I hope this was just a typo ;-)))>> Oh, yes and
indeed one of my top ten! :o)))>> Thanks for proof reading that
attentive!>>> Gruß/regards> --> Friedrich>> Ansprechpartner / contact
person for the "PrOOo-Box"> german language "best Office Suite ever" and
more on CD/DVD> http://prooo-box.org  -- footer updated on 2010-10-07>>>
--> To unsubscribe, e-mail to [hidden email]> All
messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
deleted.> List archives are available at
http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/>>-- To unsubscribe,
e-mail to [hidden email] messages you send to
this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted.List archives
are available at http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/

Paul A Norman Paul A Norman

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Thank you Stefan,

I'm not hooked on any partiacular name just two main principlpes.

1) That the International English name be easy on the tongue for
English speakers
 and with that, that thought be given to language group names in the same way

2) The name mean something for the users (more than for the developers
if necessary)

Incorporating in the name principles of philosophy of development - -
or project administration, will unfrotunately not be of apparent
importance or help to potential general new users.

Names that 'sell the product' or 'introduce the product' from a user's
perspective would be very helpful in helping increase the uptake of
the office suite amongst as yet unreached people.

Paul

On 13 October 2010 21:57, Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul A Norman schrieb:
>
>> Romance Languages: LibreOffice
>>
>> International  English: FreeOffice
>
> Don´t use "free"! This would cause misunderstanding:
>
> FreeOffice --> free office --> gratis office
>
> The product is not (only / necessarily) free of charge ("freeware"). It´s
> free in sense of liberty.
>
> Stefan

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

The subject of this email is a good candidate for a Wiki page with
commenting enabled.

However, it ie beginning to get old, and besides, it is pointless - the
name is not changing.

Charles

Eric Jon Renaud Eric Jon Renaud

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

I would suggest that LibreOffice would work fine for International English.  I guarantee that more people who don't already understand both  and 'gratis' will understand (or not) 'Libre' just as well as 'gratis'.

Perhaps 'Liberty Office' or 'Office Freedom'. (I make no claim to these names and don't know if they're previously copyrighted, copylefted or under any sort of license)

Regards,

Eric

On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:24 AM, "Paul A Norman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Stefan,
>
> I'm not hooked on any partiacular name just two main principlpes.
>
> 1) That the International English name be easy on the tongue for
> English speakers
> and with that, that thought be given to language group names in the same way
>
> 2) The name mean something for the users (more than for the developers
> if necessary)
>
> Incorporating in the name principles of philosophy of development - -
> or project administration, will unfrotunately not be of apparent
> importance or help to potential general new users.
>
> Names that 'sell the product' or 'introduce the product' from a user's
> perspective would be very helpful in helping increase the uptake of
> the office suite amongst as yet unreached people.
>
> Paul
>

> On 13 October 2010 21:57, Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Paul A Norman schrieb:
>>
>>> Romance Languages: LibreOffice
>>>
>>> International  English: FreeOffice
>>
>> Don´t use "free"! This would cause misunderstanding:
>>
>> FreeOffice --> free office --> gratis office
>>
>> The product is not (only / necessarily) free of charge ("freeware"). It´s
>> free in sense of liberty.
>>
>> Stefan

N�����r��y隊[hv+��>��iv�.���~��u�b�z+� e��,j�ʋ�zwm��b�X��������br\���b��Z���z-m�^��^t����܆+ޱ��j�����y�a��� 0v�.���~��u�b�z+��b��?v+��?
Povilas Kanapickas Povilas Kanapickas

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

IMHO 'Liberty Office' and 'Office Freedom' associates with liberation and
similar things too much. A lot of people won't like that name. I think
LibreOffice is just fine. The only problem is with pronunciation.

Regards,
Povilas

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Eric Jon Renaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would suggest that LibreOffice would work fine for International English.
>  I guarantee that more people who don't already understand both  and
> 'gratis' will understand (or not) 'Libre' just as well as 'gratis'.
>
> Perhaps 'Liberty Office' or 'Office Freedom'. (I make no claim to these
> names and don't know if they're previously copyrighted, copylefted or under
> any sort of license)
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
>
> On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:24 AM, "Paul A Norman" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Stefan,
> >
> > I'm not hooked on any partiacular name just two main principlpes.
> >
> > 1) That the International English name be easy on the tongue for
> > English speakers
> > and with that, that thought be given to language group names in the same
> way
> >
> > 2) The name mean something for the users (more than for the developers
> > if necessary)
> >
> > Incorporating in the name principles of philosophy of development - -
> > or project administration, will unfrotunately not be of apparent
> > importance or help to potential general new users.
> >
> > Names that 'sell the product' or 'introduce the product' from a user's
> > perspective would be very helpful in helping increase the uptake of
> > the office suite amongst as yet unreached people.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > On 13 October 2010 21:57, Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> Don´t use "free"! This would cause misunderstanding:
> >>
> >> FreeOffice --> free office --> gratis office
> >>
> >> The product is not (only / necessarily) free of charge ("freeware").
> It´s
> >> free in sense of liberty.
> >>
> >> Stefan
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/

Paul A Norman Paul A Norman

Re: I like the name LibreOffice

Yes Povilas, "The only problem is with pronunciation." that is one  of
the two main problems.

The other is meaning - Ubuntu  managed to sell the meaning of their
name and it was in a way inspirational - and so in the end very
powerful.

Paul