I'm Having Trouble with Contents Lists

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Terry Coles Terry Coles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I'm Having Trouble with Contents Lists

Hi,

As the subject line says, I'm struggling to get my Contents Lists right.  I've
consulted various websites, the Online Help and acquaintances who also use
LibreOffice, but have yet to find a solution to two specific problems.  I am
using Version: 5.0.5.2 on Kubuntu 15.10.

Here is what works.  If I create my document using the relevant Heading Styles
for Section headings then I get a fairly reasonable Table of Contents when I
insert one.

Here is what doesn't work:

1.  There is no space or tab between the Section Number and the Title.

2.  If I create headings with the Illustration Style and insert a Table of
Illustrations, I get no entries.

3.  I get a similar problem with a Table of Tables.

Any clues as to where I might find the answer to these problems please?

--


        TJC

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I'm Having Trouble with Contents Lists

Terry Coles wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As the subject line says, I'm struggling to get my Contents Lists right.  I've
> consulted various websites, the Online Help and acquaintances who also use
> LibreOffice, but have yet to find a solution to two specific problems.  I am
> using Version: 5.0.5.2 on Kubuntu 15.10.
>
> Here is what works.  If I create my document using the relevant Heading Styles
> for Section headings then I get a fairly reasonable Table of Contents when I
> insert one.
>
> Here is what doesn't work:
>
> 1.  There is no space or tab between the Section Number and the Title.

 From Insert > Indexes and Table > Indexes and Tables, set up the
"Index/Table" tab as desired.

On the "Entries" tab, for each level you're using:
- Select the level in the left-hand list
- Click in the white box betwee "E#" ("Chapter Number") and "E"
("Entry") under "Structure and Formatting"
- Click "Tab Stop"
- Set an appropriate position for the tab stop

> 2.  If I create headings with the Illustration Style and insert a Table of
> Illustrations, I get no entries.

Insert the illustration, then select it and use Insert > Caption. Make
sure the category is set to Illustration. That inserts a reference which
is recognised by the Table of Illustrations.

> 3.  I get a similar problem with a Table of Tables.

Similarly, create the table, position the cursor somewhere within it and
use Insert > Caption; the category should be Table.

> Any clues as to where I might find the answer to these problems please?

Probably in the Writer Guide at
<http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/>, but I haven't
looked to check...

Mark.


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Terry Coles Terry Coles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I'm Having Trouble with Contents Lists

On Sunday 28 February 2016 19:21:32 [hidden email]
wrote:
>  From Insert > Indexes and Table > Indexes and Tables, set up the
> "Index/Table" tab as desired.
>
> On the "Entries" tab, for each level you're using:
> - Select the level in the left-hand list
> - Click in the white box betwee "E#" ("Chapter Number") and "E"
> ("Entry") under "Structure and Formatting"
> - Click "Tab Stop"
> - Set an appropriate position for the tab stop

Thanks.  That worked.  It's a shame that at least one space or tab isn't
included by default.

> > 2.  If I create headings with the Illustration Style and insert a Table of
> > Illustrations, I get no entries.
>
> Insert the illustration, then select it and use Insert > Caption. Make
> sure the category is set to Illustration. That inserts a reference which
> is recognised by the Table of Illustrations.
>
> > 3.  I get a similar problem with a Table of Tables.
>
> Similarly, create the table, position the cursor somewhere within it and
> use Insert > Caption; the category should be Table.

The problem with this is that Insert > Caption is greyed out.

> > Any clues as to where I might find the answer to these problems please?
>
> Probably in the Writer Guide at
> <http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/>, but I haven't
> looked to check...

Unfortunately, the Help says to use Insert > Caption.

However, your guidance gave me a clue as to how to get around the problem.  I
was looking for an Option which might have disabled the Insert > Caption menu
item and I found an entry called LibreOffice Writer > AutoCaption.  I enabled
LibreOffice Writer Table, LibreOffice Writer Image and LibreOffice Drawing and
found that, if I inserted a Table or Image, I was able to generate a heading
that was collected by the Table of Tables or Table of Illustrations.

However, Insert > Caption is still greyed out, but at least there is a Work
Round.

--


        TJC

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Terry Coles Terry Coles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I'm Having Trouble with Contents Lists

On Monday 29 February 2016 14:16:38 Terry Coles wrote:
> > Insert the illustration, then select it and use Insert > Caption. Make
> > sure the category is set to Illustration. That inserts a reference which
> > is recognised by the Table of Illustrations.
> >
> > > 3.  I get a similar problem with a Table of Tables.

I just realised what I did.  I'm thinking Title-centric, (like in W**d),
whereas LibreOffice is object-centric.

So instead of selecting the title or heading of the image or table and trying
to add a Caption to that, I needed to select the image or table *itself*.

It takes a bit of getting used to for someone who used the main competing
product at work for the best part of 35 years.

--


        TJC

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted